A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 7th November 2015, 10:01 PM

Default Sunroof unpleasant sound

Evening all,

Tried using the sunroof on my 2007 D3 A8 4.2 petrol and it opens fine up to position 2/3 but then after that the motor makes a very unpleasant sound but continues to open albeit much slower (until I the sound concerns me too much and I close it up again!).

Anyone had something similar happen or does anyone have any thoughts as to the best first place to look.

Thanks

David
Old 8th November 2015, 04:20 PM

Is the unpleasant sound a groaning noise, mine did that on both opening and closing. Solution is to relubricate the mechanism after first removing all the dried up grease, been fine ever since. I do redo the lubrication every 6 months or so to keep it working smoothly. You must use the correct grease, otherwise you could end up in a world of hurt. The Audi grease is a lithium based product, kind of white in appearance, its actually quiet expensive as well given what it is. Part number is: G00045002

Another possible source is the wind deflector which is operated by an electric motor, its position is varied based on road speed in order to reduce buffeting sounds inside the cabin.

The slow down on 2/3 seems pretty normal, mine does it still. I think it has to do with motorised wind deflector being brought into play.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles

Last edited by mannyo; 8th November 2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 9th November 2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
Is the unpleasant sound a groaning noise, mine did that on both opening and closing. Solution is to relubricate the mechanism after first removing all the dried up grease, been fine ever since. I do redo the lubrication every 6 months or so to keep it working smoothly. You must use the correct grease, otherwise you could end up in a world of hurt. The Audi grease is a lithium based product, kind of white in appearance, its actually quiet expensive as well given what it is. Part number is: G00045002

Another possible source is the wind deflector which is operated by an electric motor, its position is varied based on road speed in order to reduce buffeting sounds inside the cabin.

The slow down on 2/3 seems pretty normal, mine does it still. I think it has to do with motorised wind deflector being brought into play.
Thanks for that, I've got a can of lithium grease around, albeit a halfrauds can. Dry lube would be a nice solution to the problem! I'll take a looksie next time there's daylight and no rain!

Thanks
Old 9th November 2015, 09:13 PM

Okay quick search using the part number you supplied suggests I should ONLY use that grease and not even any other lithium based greases. Seems unusual but for the sake of a few quid it's not really worth the risk using something else!