A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 6th June 2018, 09:17 AM

Epic.

Got TPMS kit from salvaged LHD donor, but haven’t installed yet.
Old 6th June 2018, 09:43 AM

Speechless . It's stunning MJ

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 6th June 2018, 09:58 AM

Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete-p View Post
Would never have realised you needed to cut the door cards apart like that though.
They are made of 7 separate pieces of wrapped ABS plastic, all ultrasonically welded or staked together. If one was suitably determined it would be possible to make any configuration you want, but with large seams like the door tops the part you don't want has to be sacrificial to allow the part you do want to be removed intact. The factory made each individual piece and wrapped it in the required fabric, then assembled them all together in a jig and welded them by hand. The FE pieces all have a matching serial number on the back since they were made in car-sets together - my set is #8123 There are actually very subtle colour differences between both my red interiors so while I could tell which was which by looking at them, it was useful to have the serial number for confirmation. This set has an orange tint to the red, whereas the set from the Avus FE has more blue in it, similar to Dean's two 8s actually.

I was originally just going to replace the alcantara inserts on the black door cards with red leather, the same as Davey Blueeyes' car, but since I wanted the red parts on the dash as well that wouldn't have worked so I swapped the top part over instead. It was actually less work to do it that way than 'just' doing the inserts, since to swap the alcantara top panel, the top would have to come off anyway.
Old 6th June 2018, 12:27 PM

Ooh, a red over black interior! I should say another red over black interior. My 8 is delighted to not be all on it's own after nearly 16 years on the shelf!

Looks brilliant MJ, really does, love it.

2002 D2 S8 - Avus Silver, Valcona red leather, Dark Myrtle wood inserts, Heated rear seats, Heated windscreen, Auto dim rear view mirror, Bose, Xenon Plus, Servotronic, Extended leather, Heat & UV Reflective glass & Ski hatch. Gearbox went bang but she's sleeping safely away.
Old 6th June 2018, 06:23 PM

Amazing work, as always.
You missed out explaining the bit I'm really interested in though - dismantling and reassembling the Recaro front seats.

And I only want to know enough to get at and replace the lumbar support pump/valve unit up inside/behind the side bolster...…
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 6th June 2018, 06:43 PM

I'm afraid I didn't dismantle the backrests - only the bases sorry! I did have a look at the backrests and decided there was far too much likelihood of splitting the seams trying to get the leather over the top of the foam so I left them alone.
Old 6th June 2018, 06:49 PM

Thanks MJ, good to know that, but how did you separate the backrest and base covers and/or inner panels? That might just be enough to give me "wiggle room".
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 6th June 2018, 07:06 PM

There's nothing to see of the pump even with the back rest removed - the back rest is completely sealed up with upholstery zips. I will shortly have a spare back rest you can have to take apart and practice on though.
Old 6th June 2018, 07:09 PM

Sealed, yes, but you can actually slide your hand in between the centre panels and side/kidney supports and feel the pump unit. Though it does have a fair bit of dense foam padding around it.
And there are metal reinforcing rods running vertically to make access difficult.

The centre back rest panels are not connected at the sides, which is how I managed to slide foam padding between the leather centre panel cover and the bladders.
Where/how did you disconnect the centre panels between backrest and seat?

Last edited by HPsauce; 6th June 2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 6th June 2018, 08:42 PM

Love your work, I hate red interiors, that looks the nuts though