A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions including MMI 3G Plus

Old 15th July 2017, 04:24 PM

Default Blackvue Dashcam Fitting

Hi,

Anyone know of someone who could hard wire a Blackvue DR650S 2 channel dashcam to my 13 plate D4? Bought one last year from a car audio firm, had it fitted with a power magic pro so it could run while parked without draining the battery, but was beset with problems. Dab radio failed due to interference and battery died within about two weeks. Had it all taken out and had to get a new battery. It would seem that the cam needs to be coded to the cars power management system, but that is beyond me.

Anyone know someone that could help? I'm based in SELondon/North Kent but would be willing to travel! Grateful for any info/advice

Regards,

Ivan

Last edited by WhoRu; 15th July 2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 16th July 2017, 04:57 AM

If the D4 power management is that complex (ie, you can't just jump an appropriate fuse to supply a 5V supply), just buy yourself one of those Li-Po battery jump starter packs. They have USB outs and should be able to power something like a Blackvue for several days or more.
You could also buy a cheaper mobile phone power bank - just get a high capacity one (5000mah or more).

Just got to hide it somewhere easy to get to!

Cheap and easy solution

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 16th July 2017, 10:24 AM

Interesting workaround - thanks, I'll look into that!

Ivan
Old 16th July 2017, 08:02 PM

Have you got a garage door opener? I took switched power from mine using this thread for guidance
Old 16th July 2017, 09:43 PM

No, don't have the garage door opener option in mine. It's not so much getting the thing wired in, any auto electrician do that, even a diy'er I dare say. It's getting it to play nice with the power management system that's my problem. I had it all fitted with a power magic pro which is supposed to cut power to the cam if power drops below a pre-set figure but the whole thing knackered my battery in two weeks. I had it all stripped out and anew battery fitted (which has to be coded to the car). I think the cam set up also has to be coded to the car somehow.

I've found a firm called Hazzydayz in St. Albans so have dropped them a line to see if they can help. Fingers crossed!
Old 16th July 2017, 10:02 PM

Mine is just on a switched live, so goes off ~5 minutes after the ignition. Never had an issue, I'd ditch the "power magic pro"!
Old 17th July 2017, 07:49 PM

Out of interest Paul where did you take the switched live from. I tested the fuse boxes eitjer side of the dash and they didn't switch off even after time. I ended up running a cable from the rear power socket cables under the centre console.
I have had this issue in all three D4's. I was looking for a neater solution but couldn't find a suitable fused supply to use
Cheers
Glyn
A8 3 litre sport till 2016
Short walk on the MB dark side
A8 3 litre sport from 2010 to 2012
Old 17th July 2017, 08:44 PM

The garage door opener has a "accessory" switched live, see here for more detail.

Tags
audi a8 d4, blackvue, dashcam