A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 1st September 2011, 09:21 PM

Default The motor trade

In my late teens I spent some time in the trade as the spotty oik in the corner. I saw things done to customers that made my hair curl. My experiences over the years confirmed this impression with a few notable exceptions that I cherish and buy biscuits for at christmas. Over the recent months I've been searching for an S at the right price. I was going to sell my old 8 but despite the large amounts spent on it, just couldn't bring myself to pass on a car with, in my humble opinion, was going to die soon. Bad karma and all that. It drove well but it was time to get rid of it. I was going to scrap it on finding it's replacement but the trader I purchased my S8 from offered to take it off my hands, I had informed him I was probably going to scrap it and that I believed it to be worth sod all due to it's many defects, he offered the same as I would have got for scrapping it and it made it convenient and easy so I took him up on it. 2 days later it's on the web. For legal reasons I make no comment nor express opinion on his description of it, hell I'm too scared to link to it but I will admit a creeping paranoia about my purchase from him that has only been assuaged by handing it to my garage for a couple of hours and it's as straight as I thought it was. I paid a little (okay, more like A lot) over the odds but I liked it. It still cost less than a week in bloody Bulgaria earlier this summer. 5* hotel my arse. So many others failed in that regard. I am now the happy owner of an anthracite 98 S8 with 75k miles and a new box (£1800 just for the box, ouch)fitted in march. Couple of scuffs on the bumper, crappy tyres on it but it felt nice when I got in it and drove right. Glowing blue needles, fantastic seats, slightly nicer hifi, proper avus wheels and Noticeably quicker accelleration. Lovely woosh. Just feels so much tauter and better controlled and damped than a normal 4.2. Everything works apart from the one thing I didn't check, sunroof tilts but doesn't slide. Puzzling as there's an invoice for a replacement motor from Ian and co. that previous owner said he'd fitted.

I can only conclude that I should not be allowed out of the house with more than lunch money. I liked the bloke but his mercilless capitalism terrifies me.

Feel free to insert guesses as to what I paid below and your opinion of the correct price. It was an £X+my car deal.

Bill

"Being in touch with your feminine side" - The ability to, in the 30 seconds following a major accident, obtain your wifes approval for replacing your big german car with another "because otherwise we'd be dead".

See also sulking for two years until she finally allows you to get another purely on the basis of your current one being the wrong colour.

Last edited by billblank; 1st September 2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 1st September 2011, 10:02 PM

Nice to hear you got another car Bill, not sure the motor trade is alone in its approch to Capitalism these days, most out there offering some sort of service or other wouldnt know customer service if it jumped up and bit them on the hind quarters, I know I know I am turning into Victor Meldrew again

Anyway get some pics up for us all to see

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 1st September 2011, 10:31 PM

Not until it's been washed. Nasty coating of crap all over it.

Ironic this but the night I bought it I had the best drive I've ever had in a car on the seventy odd miles of A road and windy b roads back to my house. I was due to pick up the S8 next morning after I had contacted insurance company. I thought the silver one was going to the scrap yard the next day so I THRASHED it home. Treated it like a bike. Would have cost me £600 if I had rolled it so went stupid. these cars are fast aren't they? On the limit it really shoves the weight onto the outside front tyre and it sort of squirms without squealing tyres and the back end will go light and feel like it wants to hop when hitting undulations at high speed. Enlightening. Gearbox is sluggish to respond and will change up at the slightest hint you are being sensible. Tiptronic mode would still upshift if I kissed the limiter.

"Being in touch with your feminine side" - The ability to, in the 30 seconds following a major accident, obtain your wifes approval for replacing your big german car with another "because otherwise we'd be dead".

See also sulking for two years until she finally allows you to get another purely on the basis of your current one being the wrong colour.
Old 3rd September 2011, 08:52 PM

Agree with that mate, they do handle very well for a big car. Like you say can get very squirmy on the rear had my heart banging after a few near missis, big car to have hop out sideways on you is the worry you'd quickly run out of space on most A roads never mind the B's.

The early 4 speed won't change up when in tip it will sit on the limiter, this can be confusing when you’re sat in there forget you've had it in tip to embarrass some tw4t and his 2 retards in something supposed to be quick, Bose flat out, stop at a roundabout and then pull away as you would only to have what feels like misfires, it’s at that moment your heart sinks and in a split second your brain thinks of all those things that could be wrong, but when you look down the rev counter is bouncing about in the red, oops.
Old 3rd September 2011, 09:07 PM

Getting an A8 sideways isnt a problem. keeping it sideways for more than a few seconds is the hard part
Old 3rd September 2011, 09:23 PM

Traction control off.. 6 inches of snow (or black ice) and you're good to go

I know.. I know..

Old 4th September 2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Traction control off.. 6 inches of snow (or black ice) and you're good to go
everyone knows in the snow doesnt count.