A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 5th September 2011, 02:43 PM

Default Mot

Nice fresh ticket on the S8 on Saturday

Wasn't due for a month, but got it done nice and early just in case something cropped up that needed doing.

Only issue was the driver's side headlight aim was way off - probably as a result of the cambelt change last year. Was actually a 'fail' but they issued the failure, corrected the aim and issued the certificate in 1 visit

No advisories either, which was a nice surprise!

Adrian
Old 5th September 2011, 03:14 PM

Yeah its a great feeling

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 5th September 2011, 03:26 PM

Adrian correct me if i'm wrong, but this is how i understand the MOT rules to be. If you present your car for an MOT early and it fails the test, it has failed.

It shouldn’t matter that you still have a month on your old MOT because your car has failed on that day and is unfit for the road. Regardless to the fact it was fit 11 months prior.

Anyway glad to hear you have a pass, I’m due in the next couple of months it gets to this time of year and I wonder if the old girl will go through or will I have to replace it?
Old 5th September 2011, 04:30 PM

I thought that you SHOULD be able to use it because your existing certificate is still valid until the day it expires.

I think the official government line is -
"There is no set time limit before a retest and it is at the discretion of the individual. Remember - a car that does not have a current MOT Certificate is not allowed to be used on the road except when going for repairs for an MOT test, or to a prearranged MOTtest"

This means in theory at least that the previous MOT certificate is still OK to use but the caveat is that if you KNOW anything to be illegal or dangerous on your car then you get it rectified straight away, which would over-ride anything else. And be assured that if it is something that mr plod can do you for then it would be especially important to get it fixed as soon as you are aware as it may well even invalidate your insurance if you knowingly drive a car that has dangerous faults.

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 5th September 2011, 04:43 PM

You can drive it until current certificate runs out unless MOT tester have marked it as unsafe to be used on the red failure ticket. Of course if it is not roadworthy condition then you cannot drive even if you passed MOT yesterday.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 5th September 2011, 06:05 PM

As above basically

The headlight aim on the driver's side was down and to the left, so no risk of causing nuisance to other road users. I can now see a fair bit more driving at night (I have bi-xenons) but could still do with some new bulbs and a HID conversion on the front fogs to really light the road up
Old 6th September 2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
As above basically

The headlight aim on the driver's side was down and to the left, so no risk of causing nuisance to other road users. I can now see a fair bit more driving at night (I have bi-xenons) but could still do with some new bulbs and a HID conversion on the front fogs to really light the road up
I hope you are not a Chav boy who runs on fogs day and night......
Old 6th September 2011, 07:45 AM

Ok then she goes in early
Old 6th September 2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloss View Post
I hope you are not a Chav boy who runs on fogs day and night......
Not at all

Only time front fogs get used are late at night on country lanes when I want the corners of the road lit up a bit better near to the car.

Darren had them on his D2 and it made a big difference - I find at the moment the light is so weedy compared to the bi-xenons that they're effectively useless/redundant!
Old 6th September 2011, 08:12 PM

I'm looking to run HID's in my foglamps too. 3000k should be more than enough.

I also use my fogs in twisty, country lanes, when there's no traffic. Lights up the sides a treat, just enough to spot that big-arse deer before you're on top of it.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.