A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 26th October 2017, 03:33 PM

[quote=MikkiJayne;134195]
Mike's Trader's 8 in at the weekend for a propshaft swap, annual service and MoT prep QUOTE]

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 26th October 2017, 06:18 PM

I was planning on just updating this one thread tbh. Some of the cars will only be in for a day and I don't want to litter the forum with loads of little threads.

Is an index to each car in the first post a good compromise?
Old 26th October 2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I don't want to litter the forum with loads of little threads
201 replies and >5000 views so far on this one car . I think these will probably will continue to qualify as "big" threads MJ

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 28th October 2017, 07:26 PM

Did I miss the 'finished' pics?
Old 28th October 2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Did I miss the 'finished' pics?
I'm just penning a reply for the thread now

Future work on "Red Dwarf": Fridge, solar sunroof, radio-controlled clock, interior and exterior dimming mirrors, Alcantara headlining/pillars/rear shelf, rear US outer lights, passenger memory seat, rear electric (lumbar and headrest) heated seats, Servotronic.
2002 A8 D2 S8 FE - "Red Dwarf" - Misano Red - Platinum/Silver Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE and hidden Dension Bluetooth, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, FE Wheels, Phone Prep with Nokia 6210, Detachable Towbar, Rear Blinds, S8 plate but no other optional extras
1st Place Winner - A8Parts Annual UK Meet 2018
1st Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2018
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2019
2002 A8L D2 with a factory fitted S8 engine and drivetrain - "Evergreen" - Irish Green Pearl (TBC) - magnolia leather seats with magnolia door cards/door trims, magnolia leather head-lining, extended leather pack 3 (dark green leather dash, upper door cards, steering wheel, lower dash, centre tunnel and rear parcel shelf), factory black external trim (in lieu of chrome), self-levelling suspension, Servotronic, Brembo brakes, "gullideckel" / "man-hole cover" / "pie-plate" 8Jx18 polished 10-hole design wheels typically seen on the W12, Park Distance Control, heated windscreen, multifunction steering wheel, Vavona burl (burr-walnut) wood inserts with cream/magnolia door switch trims, phone preparation to the front with Nokia 6091 phone, phone preparation to the rear with Nokia 6091 phone on the central rear console, third phone preparation in the rear centre console, rear blinds, rear headrest release feature, rear electric heated seats with lumbar and recline function (the rear passenger seat has the facility to move the front passenger seat forward), BOSE audio, Rear Screen Entertainment (RSE) with dual factory fitted Alpine screens, integrated DVD player (under the centre of the rear bench with 4 DVD storage slots) and two remote controls (the controls and inputs for the RSE are in the rear centre console and the screens can operate independently of each other,) factory supplied leather headrest covers to hide the rear screens, rear vanity mirrors (standard A8L), dark green rear wedge footrests with cream piping, front passenger memory seat, dark green floor carpeting and mats – piped in cream, rear slumber pillows for the headrests, integrated fridge with integrated tumblers inside the rear centre headrest bar compartment, solar roof, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, factory driver’s seat fire extinguisher, tire pressure monitoring system, first aid kit, 12 V socket in the boot, TRACKER, derestricted – top speed is 155mph plus
2007 A6 Allroad C6 3.0TDI Quattro - Highland Green (Audi Exclusive Colour) - Cream leather interior with Wood, Advanced MMI, Keyless, Bose, Advanced PDC, Sunroof, Heated Memory Seats, Adaptive Xenons, Adaptive Air Suspension, Servotronic

Previous (went to good homes):
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - "Big Red" - Tornado Red (Special Order) - Twist Interior, PDC, Passenger Memory Seats, Symphony II with BOSE, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, 20" FE Wheels, Servotronic Steering
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - Aqua Blue Pearl - Twist Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, Avus Wheels

Old 28th October 2017, 09:53 PM

Dean, you probably know this, but something went wrong with the picture uploads.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 28th October 2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Dean, you probably know this, but something went wrong with the picture uploads.
Thanks Andrew
I'll upload again

Future work on "Red Dwarf": Fridge, solar sunroof, radio-controlled clock, interior and exterior dimming mirrors, Alcantara headlining/pillars/rear shelf, rear US outer lights, passenger memory seat, rear electric (lumbar and headrest) heated seats, Servotronic.
2002 A8 D2 S8 FE - "Red Dwarf" - Misano Red - Platinum/Silver Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE and hidden Dension Bluetooth, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, FE Wheels, Phone Prep with Nokia 6210, Detachable Towbar, Rear Blinds, S8 plate but no other optional extras
2002 A8L D2 with a factory fitted S8 engine and drivetrain - "Evergreen" - Irish Green Pearl (TBC) - magnolia leather seats with magnolia door cards/door trims, magnolia leather head-lining, extended leather pack 3 (dark green leather dash, upper door cards, steering wheel, lower dash, centre tunnel and rear parcel shelf), factory black external trim (in lieu of chrome), self-levelling suspension, Servotronic, Brembo brakes, "gullideckel" / "man-hole cover" / "pie-plate" 8Jx18 polished 10-hole design wheels typically seen on the W12, Park Distance Control, heated windscreen, multifunction steering wheel, Vavona burl (burr-walnut) wood inserts with cream/magnolia door switch trims, phone preparation to the front with Nokia 6091 phone, phone preparation to the rear with Nokia 6091 phone on the central rear console, third phone preparation in the rear centre console, rear blinds, rear headrest release feature, rear electric heated seats with lumbar and recline function (the rear passenger seat has the facility to move the front passenger seat forward), BOSE audio, Rear Screen Entertainment (RSE) with dual factory fitted Alpine screens, integrated DVD player (under the centre of the rear bench with 4 DVD storage slots) and two remote controls (the controls and inputs for the RSE are in the rear centre console and the screens can operate independently of each other,) factory supplied leather headrest covers to hide the rear screens, rear vanity mirrors (standard A8L), dark green rear wedge footrests with cream piping, front passenger memory seat, dark green floor carpeting and mats – piped in cream, rear slumber pillows for the headrests, integrated fridge with integrated tumblers inside the rear centre headrest bar compartment, solar roof, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, factory driver’s seat fire extinguisher, tire pressure monitoring system, first aid kit, 12 V socket in the boot, TRACKER, derestricted – top speed is 155mph plus
2007 A6 Allroad C6 3.0TDI Quattro - Highland Green (Audi Exclusive Colour) - Cream leather interior with Wood, Advanced MMI, Keyless, Bose, Advanced PDC, Sunroof, Heated Memory Seats, Adaptive Xenons, Adaptive Air Suspension, Servotronic

2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - "Big Red" - Tornado Red (Special Order) - Twist Interior, PDC, Passenger Memory Seats, Symphony II with BOSE, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, 20" FE Wheels, Servotronic Steering
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - Aqua Blue Pearl - Twist Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, Avus Wheels

Old 28th October 2017, 10:21 PM

So, I left Devon last Sunday with Big Red after she had undergone her transformation.

The idea was to drop down on Saturday morning in the blue car (Big Blue) and leave Saturday afternoon/evening in Big Red (Big Blue wasn't destined to come home with me ). But best-laid plans and all that....
So, a second day was spent crossing off the jobs that Big Red kept throwing at us over the weekend.
Rocky Road's, Jaffa Cakes, Chunk Pies and tea/coke (the drink!!!) were all that was needed to keep us fuelled for the tasks ahead. And if I use the term "we" below then it's fair to say that it probably means "MJ" as I was definitely the labourer on the job.

The existing exhaust was an aftermarket stainless affair that was a little too noisy for my tastes. The plan was to take the stock exhaust from the blue car as a donor part. The only fly in the ointment was that once the stock exhaust was on the workshop floor, a small crack was noticed. This didn't faze MJ and up on the bench it went. Out came the grinder, the area was prepared, and a new piece was cut and shaped from some tubing.

20 minutes later, and after some welding by MJ, the stock exhaust was good to go

But it didn't quite look that great with its rusty and sooted tailpipes...

and thankfully I’d brought down some chrome tips with me. But they weren't the best fitting accessories and the screw method to affix them would have resulted in rattling further down the line.
So, MJ quickly cut them down and welded them in place for a very pleasing result.

The rear tray under the boot was re-attached and an engine under-tray was fitted from the blue car with new fixtures instead of the existing cable ties. Everything has got to be right and proper with MJ. No botching. Perhaps a little bit of fabrication, ingenuity and lateral thinking, but no bodging. And that's very reassuring

(Prior to tray fitting. Oil-free!):

Whilst round the rear we had another "little" job to attend to. The rear parcel shelf brake light had broken on one of the screw-in posts, so it wouldn't stay in place for too long and would swivel out of alignment. So out came the rear seats, rear speakers and rear parcel shelf to gain access. The solution was to replace the unit with one from the donor car. The only problem with the old brittle plastic was that it’s prone to cracking and this is what happened to the replacement when it was screwed in place. Of course, MJ had one hanging around and this third one made the job good.

Still at the arse-end, the fuel pump was re-seated and fell into place first time with a promising "clunk". However, upon testing the engine later on Sunday we noticed something decidedly wrong with its running. Fuel starvation.

A trip with a jerry can to the local Tesco garage for fuel put that issue to bed for the meantime but it looks like a new gasket kit will be needed and the pump re-seated again to stop air being drawn into the pump. But for now, the car just needs to be driven with the fuel above a certain level. Whilst tootling back from Tesco in the S8, MJ's previous life as a BTCC driver came to the fore as she overtook two country plodders on a country road with a car coming in the other direction. Having not experienced the true power and acceleration of an S8 before, I quietly braced for impact. In reality though, the manoeuvre was actioned with such swiftness that we could have done it twice in the time allowed without anyone batting an eyelid. Oh me of little faith. And MJ did this whilst simultaneously demonstrating the bone-rattling bass from her boot-mounted amp and subwoofer that put my Bose to shame.

Back at the workshop, the next job was a full coolant drain followed by the aircon. Despite being re-gassed a few months ago, this refused to work. Replacing the fuse/relay (or actually putting one in place to start with!) didn't "seem" to give the desired results so out came MJ with the multimeter to check for breaks in circuits. When this failed to pinpoint why the relay wasn't clicking, she tried her S8 and that exhibited the same behaviour, so we crossed that job off the list. If it did what the S8 was doing, then it was done.

The passenger door catch wasn't closing correctly so a new part had been ordered. It just needed a simple fitting, but this meant the top of the door frame (and glass) needed to be removed. Thankfully MJ had broken the back of this task by the time I had arrived so I helped as much as I could by suspending the upper door frame whilst it was reattached. Then those lovely door clips needed to be put back in place. What a great design they are. Not!

The 20mm wheel spacers were all polished up before the wheels and a replacement donor O/S rear wheel arch were put back on for the test drive. Such a shame to cover up those newly refurbished callipers et al.

There was one job that I proudly did all by myself. I installed a Dension Gateway Lite BT for playing Spotify from my mobile. And it works a treat. It can be installed in less than 5 minutes BTW.

All in all, I counted around 54 items on the whiteboard (after we had added some more over the weekend) that were crossed off. That's a mammoth list! Small things (so you would think) like adjusting the rear boot lid for a better fit as MJ did at the weekend, to larger tasks like a cambelt change. And some things done by others such as sill welding, wheel alignment, MOT and numerous small dent removals. But 99% was accomplished by one very talented person. If you ever get a chance to drive your motor into her workshop, then there’s no reason why you won't be driving out with a grin on your face.

Unfortunately, though the car had the last little laugh.
Big Blue had two niggly little faults over the last few months. One was an intermittent O/S ABS sensor and an intermittent oil level sensor. So, I've been driving around for months with 2 yellow lights on my dash.
When Big Blue pulled into the workshop and came nose to nose with Big Red I think that through some form of car osmosis, or car telepathy the two small niggles jumped from one car to the other.
On the final test drive for Big Red when the daylight was failing, the damned ABS light on her lit up. I pulled her back into the workshop and the wheel arch was removed to check the connection. It was sprayed with WD40 and vigorously coupled-decoupled to alleviate a connection issue, but the light still stayed lit. So a job for another day.

And finally, on the way up to Gordano services the oil sensor light came on. No leaks of oil or anything like that. The engine is running perfectly. Bloody D2’s! They just don’t want to remain perfect for too long.

For those 2 little niggles to appear AFTER the job has been done must be annoying to say the least for MJ, especially after sinking 200hrs into the project. But apart from the aforementioned, the car runs extremely(!) well.
The suspension gives a great ride! The car is so well planted.
The steering is perfect. Not too light now but not heavy like the non-servotronic. I much prefer it and driving home to Northamptonshire on the M5/M42/M6/A14, it was like driving on rails.

The engine had quite a flutter/pulsing before MJ got her hands on it. When I took it for a test drive on the Sunday it had just the faintest of flutters left. But after a few days of running the issue has gone completely. Result!

So thanks to MJ for having the patience to carry this off.

A very pretty D2 has been saved and will be joining a few blue S8’s (diplomat 2.6 and ainarssems) tootling around Rushden for a while to come.

Quote:
You should both try and get to the regular AudiSRS Buddies breakfast meets at Towcester. https://audisrs.com/buddies-meet-sun...17-t70371.html
Next one is 9am (latest!) Sunday 12th November and there will be a Nogaro Blue A8 there (plus my green S8). The red one as well would be stunning.
And if I am available I am going to try ang get across to Towcester to catch your S8 Andrew.

And finally, here are a few pics from today when my son and I drove to the local aerodrome. Enjoying the car like it should be done:

PS. The main pics were from Sunday. I didn't have the foresight to take any on Saturday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrome.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	17393   Click image for larger version

Name:	FreshBrakes.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	17394   Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontToBack.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	17395   Click image for larger version

Name:	InTheAir.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	17396   Click image for larger version

Name:	OldTips.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	17397   Click image for larger version

Name:	OnLift.jpg
Views:	573
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	17398   Click image for larger version

Name:	ReadyForTray.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	17399   Click image for larger version

Name:	ReadyForWeld.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	17400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sparks.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	17401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sywell1.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	17402  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sywell2.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	17403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sywell3.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	17404   Click image for larger version

Name:	TrimmedAndPrepped.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	17405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trimming.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	17406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Underside1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	17407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Underside2.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	17408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Weld1.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	17409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Weld2.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	17410  

Last edited by Spanker; 29th October 2017 at 08:41 AM. Reason: .
Old 28th October 2017, 10:21 PM

Dean, not sure how you uploaded, but "normally" all the uploaded pictures appear at the end of a post.
To embed them inline between paragraphs of text, as you appeared to be trying to do this method works. There may be others of course .

1. Create the text of the post and prepare all the pictures and then post, attaching ALL the pictures.
2. Go back and edit the post, inserting each picture individually where you want it by using the picture icon (little mountain) and editing in the image location FROM YOUR POST by doing a right-mouse click for properties to get the picture name (which will be an attachment ID in the forum).

Ah, you seem to have done it OK. Awesome car!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 28th October 2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 28th October 2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Dean, not sure how you uploaded, but "normally" all the uploaded pictures appear at the end of a post.
To embed them inline between paragraphs of text, as you appeared to be trying to do this method works. There may be others of course .

1. Create the text of the post and prepare all the pictures and then post, attaching ALL the pictures.
2. Go back and edit the post, inserting each picture individually where you want it by using the picture icon (little mountain) and editing in the image location FROM YOUR POST by doing a right-mouse click for properties to get the picture name (which will be an attachment ID in the forum).

Ah, you seem to have done it OK.
Yes. The effect I was wanting was to remove all the attachments from the end of the post as I prefer to see them embedded in the body and not at the end. I've done it before but my memory told me that the way to do it was to just remove the uploaded images from the post after I had the URL's.
Silly me. That actually removes the URL's completely.
But nevermind. I shall keep the attachments at the end.