A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Transmission

D3 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 19th June 2018, 09:54 PM

Default ATF - Change or not? Confused!

Lads,

Mine has 120k miles and goes OK. No problems. I'm going to hang onto it for a little bit longer (actually i really like it and it's in excellent condition). So, im OK with spending some cash on it now in some routine maintenance and preventative maintenance. That brings me to the gearbox oil

i've been reading posts on here and other forums. I'm a bit confused as i'm seeing some conflicting advice as to whether a gear oil change is a good idea..

Does anyone know what's involved exactly, parts needed etc? Also is there work do be done on VAGcom?

Realise I can't outsource the decision but wondering what the consensus might be: Leave well enough alone or change?

I saw this page, would be great if anyone knows a similar for our D3?

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...servicing.html
Old 19th June 2018, 10:00 PM

Don't confuse D3 with D2, VERY different gearboxes.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 19th June 2018, 10:29 PM

My 2p worth would say have it changed if you intend keeping the car indefinitely. I had the ATF changed at least 3 times on my old D3. The box was as smooth at 240K when I sold it as it was when I bought it with 60K.
Old 19th June 2018, 10:43 PM

Thanks Joe. May i ask, what was your experience of the change? Did you do it yourself or your dealer or indy?

Any idea of costs etc? And i read that you need to use the Audi gearbox oil.

I just saw on my local Audi site they change multi tronic oil for fixed price of 240 which seems like a good price?
Old 19th June 2018, 11:04 PM

I used a Dealer each time as knowledgeable Indys are scarce in Cork/Tipperary. The first ATF change was free as part of the deal when I bought the car.
The other times, it cost maybe €400 ish from memory. I think the OEM oil & pan filter cost maybe €250 of it as the oil is crazy money.
The temperature of the pan needs to me monitored to ensure the level is correct when it's being changed.

A multitronic change is much simpler, hence the cheaper price.
Old 21st June 2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irelandbuyer View Post

i've been reading posts on here and other forums. I'm a bit confused as i'm seeing some conflicting advice as to whether a gear oil change is a good idea..
If you look in the Service book, you'll see the gearbox oil change is NOT a service item; the 6 speed Tip box is 'sealed for life' in Audi's [late 2004] view.

There's lots of conflicting views, even between Audi and ZF but all I can tell you is my experience, which is of a Nov 2004 build D3 3.0TDI with 238,000 miles on the clock which I've had for 10 years and the gearbox oil has never been touched.

Julian

Audi A8 3.0TDI MY2005 in Midnight Blue. Gone since 2018, after 10 years!

Last edited by JulianHicks; 9th November 2018 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Corrected build date from 2014 to 2004!!
Old 25th June 2018, 11:13 PM

Personally I would go with ZF who actually make the gearbox and are kot after you buggering it up so you buy another car etc.
They recommend a gearbox service fluid and filter changed every 40k approx.
To my mind, anything that has a filter will get clogged. Change it.
Old 26th June 2018, 07:25 AM

My 2004 D3 with 164K miles is still running the original ATF with no issues to report. I have read on somewhere that I cannot remember that getting the filter for inside the transmission is difficult or even no longer available as it is designed to last the life of the vehicle.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 26th June 2018, 12:07 PM

Thanks Lads...

I was onto Audi and they'll do a multi-tronic gear oil change for around 250. The service guy wasn't able to tell me if they change the filter or not.

Stupid question but is there a difference between multi-tronic oil change and any other type of ATF oil change?

(No slagging pls : )
Old 26th June 2018, 12:46 PM

Multi-tronic is Audi's brand name for a CVT gearbox they developed. I guess the oil used will be slightly different from a regular Auto gear box.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,