A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 13th March 2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
For Reference the sidelights were fromEbay seller car_tuning_shop_uk: H6W 434 BAX9S 5SMD LED SIDELIGHT PARKING CAN BUS OBC ERROR FREE
I've ordered these which look slim enough to slide straight in. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=250811310180
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SMD434.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	5744  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 13th March 2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I've ordered these which look slim enough to slide straight in. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=250811310180
I see that they have 4 LEDs whereas the ones I got had 5 with the fifth facing directly forward - which is very noticeable in the overall light output. It will be intersesting to see how effective the 4 LED types are.
Old 13th March 2013, 01:47 PM

Yes, I thought about that, but they're in a good-sized reflective "well" anyway and I don't ever drive on sidelights so overall brightness isn't important.
My Focus has the forward-facing setup sidelights as it happens, but they're much more recessed. And really quite bright!

I'm now thinking about main-beam bulbs where brightness again isn't important but colour probably is. Osram Cool Blue Intense seem to get the best write-ups on colour.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 13th March 2013, 02:07 PM

Just to confirm.... when you talk about " Side Lights" are you referring to these indicated below.?

I have been wanting to cahnge these as they emit a very yellow light compared to the rest. I would like to change them to LED.

Secondly has anybody fitted LED's to their Fog Lights .. ??

" Love the Sound of a V8....... All Day " *still wish it was a V10*

2002 S8 D2 F/L
H & R Springs, Koni Coil Overs, Dastek Chip, Sport Exhaust, 19" S5 Rims, Solar Sun Roof (Cause we have Sun) and most of the Bells & Whistles.
Old 13th March 2013, 02:26 PM

Yes, that's them.
You need to pull the bulbholder out to verify what type of bulb it has.

Fog lights, personally I think they should have standard bulbs or even yellow ones, never LED's or HID's.
You only ever want them on in real fog (or occasionally to light the side of narrow roads in really bad weather) and the bluer the light the worse it penetrates.
Old 13th March 2013, 04:13 PM

Sidelights are, in the UK, often referred to as "Parking Lights" . and those in your photo are the ones - as HP says. Mine now match the xenons in colour

The foglights are H4 halogens. I'm not sure that there is an LED equivalent.

Thanks Iyole, for the light cleaning thread - very helpful and mine are now done!,
Old 13th March 2013, 05:46 PM

>> are you referring to these indicated below.?

2 years ago I was worried about yellowish lights from those 'side lights'.

I purchased LED bulbs, but they were unreliable (fail after about half a year).

Has anyone found source of reliable LED bulbs for those 'side lights'?
Old 13th March 2013, 05:57 PM

See earlier in this thread: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost....5&postcount=52 widely available on eBay probably all from the same Chinese factory.
Though I'm not 100% sure those would go through the hole on the '8 (why I bought the simpler design), and you need to buy the appropriate fitting for your lights.

Last edited by HPsauce; 13th March 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 16th March 2013, 02:34 PM

I've just realised this thread is in INTERIOR electrics.
So I'll post my LED sidelight feedback in this other thread which is about the closest of the existing ones to the topic: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5920

See this post for pictures: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost....9&postcount=13
Old 16th March 2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I've also made a "cardboard cutout" to cover the top of the unit (which has exposed conductor bars) to prevent them touching metal in the roof space.
Well back on the topic of "Interior Electrics" (after a diversion into LED sidelights ) specifically the "iffy" rear interior central courtesy light cluster, I'm hopeful this has solved the problem, it's all been fine since doing that.