A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 13th May 2014, 08:53 PM

Default Boot Won't Shut

I spent the last 3ish hours taking the rear bumper off to trace a random cable.
The cable turned out to be the aerial for the tracker, no removed.

To get the bumper off I had the gain access to the 10mm nuts and the odd bumper clip things on the side.
On the left hand side I removed the AMP, TV tuner, DVD drive and I think the nav unit. On the right I unplug 3 plugs from a black box, green plug, black plug and beige colour plug.

When I removed the 3 plugs from the right, some motor spun up. I'm not sure if it was the boot motor or the fuel flap motor.

I carried on removing and refitting the bumper. I found out the right side bumper thing is broken but that least of my worries.

I put the bumper and boot back together, tidied my tools away and shut the boot.
The boot went down, shut as it normally does but with out the soft close noise at the end.
Turned around and noticed the boot was lifting back up.
Pressed the close button and it did the same thing again.
Manually shutting the lid closes it but it won't lock, the car still says the boot is open.
If I slam it hard it shuts and lock.

Not sure what's going on.
I'll get VCDS on it tomorrow and see what it says.

Anyone else had this?
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 13th May 2014, 10:00 PM

Sounds like the motor that pulls the lid closed has pulled down to the locked position, when you started pulling plugs.

Really ought to disconnect the battery before doing stuff like that but too late now i guess.

Have you tried to open it with the button on the key to see if it resets the pull down to the open state?

Old 13th May 2014, 10:04 PM

I dont have a motorised boot, but have had similar reluctance to lock. In my case, there were two different causes:
Failed spring on the bottom catch- this resulted in the striker being ever so slightly low and no soft close function, replaced the spring
Sticky latch mechanism- there is a microswitch inside the latch which was gummed up, so a quick dismantle, re-lube and adjustment to the microswitch resolved it.

Judging by your description that you heard a motor noise, my guess is on the spring. You can use the old one in a pinch by bending out one of the coils or get this http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/150-part-s...sortment-n06ct and have more springs than you know what to do with!

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain
Old 14th May 2014, 07:11 AM

When I putting it all back together I thought I should have unplugged the battery.
Next time I will.

I had a spare 5 minutes this morning and thought I'd try the boot again and hope it reset and started working over night.
It did not but I did try something different.

The boot attempted to open, failed and closed again. That's normal but it does normal do the soft close latch noise, it never did it this time.

I opened the boot, clicked the latch over in the lid with a screw driver and pressed the open button on the key.
A high pitched motor started up, it sounded like the fuel cap motor but this time with the boot open I was able to try and locate it.
I failed. The only two motors that I know of in the right hand side of the boot is the lid motor and the fuel flap motor but neither of these showed signs that it was them spinning.

Is there any other motor or something that would make a noise?

used the remote and boot buttons to open and close the boot and nothing made a difference.

What is the resting point for the striker plate?
Mine appears to be right at the very bottom.

I'm going to look at the striker plate and such after work.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 14th May 2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandomguy View Post
I dont have a motorised boot, but have had similar reluctance to lock. In my case, there were two different causes:
Failed spring on the bottom catch- this resulted in the striker being ever so slightly low and no soft close function, replaced the spring
Hello RandomGuy, is this spring somewhere in the striker post assembly on the 'slam panel' and what purpose does it serve?
My boot has to be slammed to catch so much that it has cracked the tool box. Only occasionally do I hear the soft-close motor whirring. In fact I don't think I have heard that for months.
Old 14th May 2014, 09:16 AM

The spring pulls the striker catch back up so that it can catch on the latch when you close the boot, then the motor pulls it down for the soft close.

I still have the boot empty from the DAB retrofit, so will upload a picture in a coupe of mins
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	8075  
Attached Files
File Type: mov trim.1C620FD8-4CE6-4395-87A8-AF82544B82D3.MOV (10.72 MB, 265 views)

Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb

Last edited by Somerandomguy; 14th May 2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 14th May 2014, 09:27 AM

The picture above is with the boot closed, and this one is when it is open, sorry I am on my ipad, so editing is a bit hit and miss...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	8077  

Old 14th May 2014, 09:30 AM

Interesting.

My striker plate is in the down position and does not move.
Looking at your images the cable that pulls it down goes to the right hand side of the boot.
I wonder if I knocked something off when I was fiddling around with my bumper guide.

EDIT: Your motor seems so quiet in relation to mine as well.
Old 14th May 2014, 10:29 AM

Brilliant info. thanks, gives me the confidence to tackle this long-standing problem.
Old 14th May 2014, 06:01 PM

thanks for that
ive had this problem for some time, if i close it hard manually it locks, knew it was something in the mechanism just havent got time to do anything with it
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom