A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Interior Electrics

D4 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 5th October 2017, 09:31 PM

Default Sanity check please?

I've recently purchased a 2011 4.2 TDi with lots of options and today had the original Cobra Tracker removed and the current model installed in its place.

I got a good deal from Vodafone so decided to go ahead with the replacement.

Before the swap-over when I started the car I got the message "Starting engine..." or similar in the DIS but since the swap-over I notice this message isn't displayed any more.

Can anyone else confirm (or deny) that the aforementioned message should be displayed please?

I know its only a petty thing I know but it bothers me that it isn't working as before and maybe something else is not working properly?

The installer swears it can't be anything that he has done but as I said it behaved differently before the swap-over.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
Old 5th October 2017, 10:29 PM

I just recorded this for you.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXBY70K1lko

Do you have VCDS, happy to compare coding if so?
Old 8th October 2017, 05:41 PM

love the gauge sweep - best vcds mod
Old 8th October 2017, 07:52 PM

Could just be the way that the unit reports back to the car. Possibly the old one reported each stage of the engine start, and this one simply reports an engine start while it manages the process.

I know.. I know..

Old 8th October 2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Could just be the way that the unit reports back to the car. Possibly the old one reported each stage of the engine start, and this one simply reports an engine start while it manages the process.
I’d be shocked if the cobra unit had any actual interaction with the instrument cluster...... by the same token I’d not expect it to have had any impact!?
Old 19th October 2017, 01:14 PM

Well since I submitted my original post I have seen the 'Starting engine...' displayed in the DIS - not every time but more often than not at first startup in the morning.

Maybe if the engine is started & stopped more than once or a couple of times in a given time period it doesn't display?

I was struggling to determine the link between the tracker and starting engine display but you know what it's like with modern, high-tech cars when the electrics are disrupted all bets are off.

I mean back in the day if you had a simple low battery or ended up having to replace the thing it never affected anything at all but these days it throws all sorts of errors and can cause all kind of unexplained problems.

Ah well as I said it is a only petty thing in the grand scheme of things and so not that important especially as I can't be 100% certain of the behaviour beforehand.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
Old 25th November 2017, 07:58 AM

Glyn.

The message is only displayed if a delay start criteria is met. Ie the block temperature is very low. The car will naturally cycle the glow plugs slightly longer than if the block temperature is higher. And the "starting engine message" will only display if that criteria is met.
Old 26th November 2017, 02:11 PM

That makes sense, if when you press the button it doesn't turn immediately as it is giving the glow plugs a chance to work then display a "comfort" message