A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 18th August 2015, 07:48 PM

There are issues at several levels with the way the network of Audi dealers, which are predominantly all parts of large dealership chains that sell many brands as franchised dealers.

The part where Audi does have SOME control is over the quality of the cars offered for onward sale to Audi dealers as approved used through returning ex-lease vehicles etc. The dealers bid for these vehicles unseen, but with a description. Before they are offered to dealers they should (IMHO) go through a pre-sale inspection to ensure they are prepared to the standard you would rightly expect, for the premium you are paying. I doubt they do - one dealer told me they do sometimes return vehicles on delivery as not being as described.

Other stock will come in directly from other dealership chain members (some not Audi) as part-exchanges, or through other sources.

All should have the PDI that Audi make such a fuss about, which seems to vary significantly in quality in my experience. Bodywork will not be rectified at all, in my experience. They will wait to see if a potential buyer notices before spending any of their profit margin on rectification. I've been close to buying an S3 Sportback priced at nearly £20k which needed 1/3 of the car painting to deal with various accident damage (RNS 3/4 panel, rear bumper, roof, bonnet) and the dealer wanted a £1k deposit up front before they'd even consider sorting it to what it should be displayed as. That deposit was not refundable if they got a local back street garage to blow it over! They don't use their own bodyshop for prep work as they charge the full hourly rate between departments internally...another main dealer low miles S5 Sportback we looked at which was described as 'immaculate as you would expect for a sub-15k mile 3 yr old car' had deep trolley dings in every wheel arch, various other dents and scrapes and an undisclosed accident repair requiring a new front nearside wing which had a poor fit with uneven shut lines and bad paint! That was £23k!

Mechanically cars can be in fairly poor condition and still be acceptable for sale. I forget the acceptable tread depth under approved used, but it isn't much above the legal minimum and they're not too fussed about mixing or correct spec either. If they pass an MOT then they're happy.

As alluded to above, part of the problem is that ANY fault with a car that's bought in will get charged to the sales department for rectification, so it comes off the sales staff's bottom line. They're much happier to ship it off site for cheaper repair, if they must. Ideally they don't want the customer to notice until after they've collected and then it's the battle with the warranty company.

The issue with the warranty companies is that after 2 years of manufacturer backed warranty, the 3rd year is covered by Audi UK (not owned by Audi Germany) and after that you're in a relationship with Mondial Assistance on a commercial basis. They're as bad as any other, although I recall Amar being full of praise for them on some work his RS6 needed.

What the answer is I'm not too sure. No solution that genuinely results in customer service at an acceptable level is going to be cost free, which means prices go up or profit goes down. Audi Germany could follow the lead of the Koreans and offer 5 or 7 year manufacturer backed warranties. They'd have to build the cars better though....Audi UK could subsidise the cost of extended warranties and be prepared to offer better goodwill when expensive bills crop up on stuff that really shouldn't break. Here I'm thinking big ticket items like engines, gearboxes and anything else that should last as long as the car is roadworthy. Case in point here is my dodgy instrument cluster on our S5 which has flickering LEDs. Local dealer, without batting an eyelid, presented a quote for £1k to replace it and agreed that was the only solution. No suggestion of any goodwill and I'm still waiting for the call back on that 2 months later....

I filled out a customer satisfaction survey after our last service on the S5 and when I marked them down they enquired how likely I was to buy another Audi. I said highly unlikely given they don't seem to last the distance like the older models. No response to that from them at all, despite me leaving my details as being prepared to discuss my feedback. Maybe they've already accepted they'll lose me as a repeat customer and aren't that bothered?

With all these brands that were once premium, but now sell more cars in their sector than Ford do, the customer service needs to improve or the impression will be that the brand is moving ever down-market.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 18th August 2015, 09:26 PM

I've had some fun with Audi warranty on the A7. Found that the keyless didn't work properly on the back driver's door when wet, dropped it off at Glasgow Audi who took 3 days of not testing it properly to test the fault as I described.. So after 5 days of having the car, they finally sorted it out under warranty (or so they told me).

Fast forward to a few weeks ago.. Car is going in for the recall on the 3.0TFSI fuel system, flag up some gearbox funnies, and that a B&O subwoofer has failed (didn't mention VCDS at that point). Drop the car off on the Friday, and on the Monday morning, get a call to say the car has no extended warranty.. Cue argument about previous visit and their time wasting.. Drive home, and send them a pic of the original invoice (thank god for 'organised' previous keepers). Turns out there's 4 or 5 systems they have to look through for warranty details, and because they couldn't be arsed looking properly last time, the dealership absorbed the £1,200 or so cost to replace all 4 handles. Warranty now sorted, but definitely worth checking everything properly before you take the car in, and that the previous owner has proper documentation of the warranty.

I know.. I know..

Old 18th August 2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Car is going in for the recall on the 3.0TFSI fuel system
How did you ID yours was requiring recall work for this? Struggled to get an answer on whether our S5 with CAKA engine needs it or not....

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 18th August 2015, 10:44 PM

I got a letter from Audi on it.. mine is the CGWB

I know.. I know..

Old 19th August 2015, 01:37 AM

Quite a disconcerting read.

While I haven't had the opportunity to buy an Audi with a 'warranty', I will make a mental note of the above.

And take VCDS with me on the test drive (like I did last time)😉

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 19th August 2015, 09:08 AM

Insurances, warranties from 3rd parties, pension funds and similar schemes is something that I deliberately avoid. Because the business idea of all these schemes is to gather money from people and then return them back less money. You basically feed a middle man. I'm not interested to be part of such schemes.
Old 19th August 2015, 09:29 AM
Administrator

To be clear, my grumble isn't with the warranty company. In my experience, where the warranty is in place, and is valid, its been a relatively smooth process.

Aside from the appalling lack of interest by Hitchin Audi in all this, my big issue, which is deepening by the hour, is that it seems Audi dealers are able to sell 'Approved Used' cars with multi point checks, when in fact its possible the checks are not actually done, or worst still, faults covered up.

Human error aside, can someone with a bit more knowledge in the area confirm if done intentionally, that it could be interpreted as fraud ?

The Daily Town Car - 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance. Black with Black. Giant ipad screen, huge sunroof, 4 wheel drive, Tow bar, lots of ooomph and made in China, so actually built properly unlike the Californian ones.

The Family Wagon - 2018 Tesla Model X. Black, 7 Seats, Towbar, Homelink, Enhanced Auto pilot with Summon and self park, Heated front seats, CCS Charger upgrade, MCU2 Upgrade, Falconwing Doors, Self opening / closing doors, Netflix, Spotify, toys, Air suspension, alcantara roof + lots of other stuff......

The 17 year old Driver Wagon 2015 Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo. Alloys, Power steering, Aircon, Leccy windows, Sat Nav, bluetooth, central locking, cup holders, 59 whole bhp. Million times better than my first car. Well jealous.....

The First 20 Audis:

2001 D2 4.2 QS Silver, 1997 D2 S8 Silver, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2002 D2 S8 Dolphin Grey,
2003 C5 RS6 Blue, 1998 D2 S8 Black, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue, 2003 D3 4.2 Ming Blue,
2005 B7 S4 Blue, 2006 D3 3.0 Tdi Black, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2003 D3 4.2 LPG Crystal Blue,
2000 D2 S8 Silver, 2007 3.0 Tdi Q7 Black, 2009 B8 S4 Black, 1998 D2 S8 Agate Grey,
2006 D3 4.2 Tdi Blue, 2006 D3 S8, 2007 Q7 3.0 Tdi, 2006 C6 S6,

The Second 20 Audis:

2011 A7 Sline, 2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2002 A2 1.4 Tdi Silver, 2006 A8 4.2 Tdi Blue,
2007 4.2 Tdi Q7, 2006 S4 Cab Silver, 2010 RS6 Saloon Black , 2007 TT Roadster,
2010 A8 D4 4.2 Silver, 2006 C6 A6 2.7 Tdi Quattro, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue (again), 2008 Q7 4.2 Black,
2009 C6 RS6 Saloon Daytona Grey, 2001 Fully Loaded A2 Tdi, 2006 Avant S6 Black, 2007 VW Caravelle Exec Black (almost an Audi)
2009 TT Roadster Daytona, 2015 Q7 4.2 tdi lava grey, 2002 GmbH D2 demonstrator, 2006 D3 A8 LWB 4.2 Tdi Black

Most Recent Audis:

2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2007 4.2 FSi Q7 ABT Blue, 2016 S5 Coupe Launch model, 2004 S4 B6 Cabriolet, 2016 Q7 Sline White, 2006 Q7 4.2 FSi Black, 2012 Q7 Sline+ 4.2Tdi White, 2008 Blue Audi S8

Everything Else

1989 Subaru Justy, 1986 Vauxhall Cartlton 2.0 GL, 1985 Vauxhall Carlton 2.2 CDi, 1987 Ford Sierra XR4x4, 1983 Vauxhall Senator, 1985 Vauxhall Senator 3.0i, 1997 Polo Saloon, 1997 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi, Ford Sierra Sapphire 2000E, 1990 Subaru Justy, 2000 Subaru Impreza, 2000 Subaru Impreza RB5, 1993 Range Rover LSE, 2005 VW Bora, 2003 Skoda Superb, 2003 VW Passat V6 4 Motion, 1996 Peugeot 106, 2000 Range Rover 4.0, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Old 19th August 2015, 10:08 AM

Default Audi blurb on "Approved Used Cars"

I thought it may be prudent to paste the text form the audi.co.uk site around the benefits of purchasing an approved used car here, with a few salient points highlighted!

Quote:
About Audi Approved Used

When you buy an Audi Approved Used vehicle you have the reassurance of knowing that all cars have to meet our meticulous standards before they reach the forecourt.

All Approved Used Audi vehicles undergo a comprehensive series of stringent tests and inspections, allowing you to buy with peace of mind.

145 Exacting checks to pass

These checks include; separate mechanical, interior and exterior checks, a full road-test and a detailed written report.

Reconditioning with Audi Original parts

Should the multi-point check highlight any irregularities, we will undertake rectification work using only Audi Original parts.

Warranty with Roadside Assistance

Included is a 12 month Audi Warranty, with Audi Roadside Assistance, and consequential expense cover for items such as car hire and accommodation.*
Old 19th August 2015, 10:15 AM

You'd need to get a copy of the 145 points in the report. And any outputs from VCDS showing that errors were logged before the purchase date. Though I can't see how the warranty company can claim it was a pre-existing fault and the supplying dealer can claim to not have to fix it..

I know.. I know..

Old 19th August 2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
To be clear, my grumble isn't with the warranty company. In my experience, where the warranty is in place, and is valid, its been a relatively smooth process.

Aside from the appalling lack of interest by Hitchin Audi in all this, my big issue, which is deepening by the hour, is that it seems Audi dealers are able to sell 'Approved Used' cars with multi point checks, when in fact its possible the checks are not actually done, or worst still, faults covered up.

Human error aside, can someone with a bit more knowledge in the area confirm if done intentionally, that it could be interpreted as fraud ?
If not fraud, where it may be difficult to prove intent, I'd have though it would at least be negligence, so culpable at that level, if not more.

Tags
audi approved used, audi multipoint check, audi warranty, customer service, faults, faulty, hitchin, hitchin audi, issues, jardine, multipoint, problems