A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 24th October 2022, 03:12 PM

Default D2 down pipe removal

Just when I think I am going to get a few weeks hassle free motoring - the A8 fails its MOT because one of the exhaust flexi joints has split.

Cant be too mad, thats not bad going for a 21 year old exhaust.

I am thinking about removing the down pipe section, removing the old flexi and welding in a new flexi.

Checking the workshop manual it appears if I take the front wheels off I should be able to access the bolts holding the down pipe to the manifold? Can anyone confirm if thats right?

Thanks

James
Old 24th October 2022, 04:45 PM

Might be best to confirm what engine size and configuration you are working on........

And whether it is nearside or offside. Could make all the difference.
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 25th October 2022, 07:38 AM

Engine, year, and side definitely make a significant difference, from 'piece of cake' to 'oh hell no!'.
Old 25th October 2022, 08:21 AM

Hey, sorry forgot the important part.

Its an AKC, 3.7 V8 Quattro. I get the feeling its a hell no, based on what I can see from a quick crawl underneath.

Does anyone make these parts as replacements?
Old 25th October 2022, 04:54 PM

An AKC isn't too terrible. The main challenge will be getting the upper cats through the gap between gearbox and tunnel. It is aided considerably by removing the primary O2 sensor, although that in itself is a bit of an ordeal since the SAI valve is in the way. It may be necessary to drop the rear of the subframe a little to gain clearance for the upper cat.

The left hand one could be done on jack stands as it is quite short and splits halfway down. The right hand one will need a lift though as it is one piece from manifold to exhaust system and needs 3-4 feet of ground clearance under the car to come out.

I'm not aware of anyone in the UK making replacements for the V8 unfortunately.
Old 27th October 2022, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the advice. Ground clearance will be a big issue as I dont have a lift and chucking it in the garage will just result in a hefty bill. From my limited poke around underneath access looks like a complete arse along with rusty bolts!

Been mulling this over on how to get the flexi changed without disturbing the down pipe - so just sounding out the idea for comments.

Cut the flexi off at the down pipe end

Drop remaining flexi with cat.

Cut the flexi off the cat.

Weld new flexi onto cat (now I can get the mig all the way around)

Weld slip collar onto flexi (may even come with one).

Offer up cat & flexi section.

Slide slip collar over down pipe and clamp in place.

Seems achievable but wont know until I start. Whole exhaust will probably fall apart after that!
Old 27th October 2022, 04:05 PM

Assuming you're talking about the right hand side, you're not going to get away without welding the downpipe unfortunately. If memory serves, it is curved right up until the point where it goes in to the flexi, so no straight section long enough to fit a slip joint.

What may be more feasible is to get hold of a pair of 3-bolt flanges (ideally get a left downpipe gasket copied and laser-cut in 8 or 10mm steel) which you can then weld on to the right hand downpipe before the flexi. If you get the flange sized so that it fits over the downpipe you can then mig it from the inside, which is much easier to get to. Then, continue with your plan but also weld a flange on to the new flexi, essentially replicating the left hand side.

I do have some 3.7 downpipes cut at the flexis in the workshop. If I remember tomorrow I'll grab a pic of them
Old 1st January 2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Assuming you're talking about the right hand side, you're not going to get away without welding the downpipe unfortunately. If memory serves, it is curved right up until the point where it goes in to the flexi, so no straight section long enough to fit a slip joint.

What may be more feasible is to get hold of a pair of 3-bolt flanges (ideally get a left downpipe gasket copied and laser-cut in 8 or 10mm steel) which you can then weld on to the right hand downpipe before the flexi. If you get the flange sized so that it fits over the downpipe you can then mig it from the inside, which is much easier to get to. Then, continue with your plan but also weld a flange on to the new flexi, essentially replicating the left hand side.

I do have some 3.7 downpipes cut at the flexis in the workshop. If I remember tomorrow I'll grab a pic of them
This is exactly what I did when my cats were stolen. Worked really well and prevented further issues since now the downpipes have flanges before the cats making the exhaust much more service friendly. Shoulda been like this from factory imo.
D2 A8L 4.2 AQF 4.2 LZ9W Ebony Black Pearl Fully electric rear seats 20x9.5 OEM peelers D3 s8 front brakes s8 mirror housings 18x8 Avus 3 winter wheels PDC rear blinds Nav Electric steering wheel adjustment rs6 MFSW heated with shift buttons TPMS Leather pack 1 with retrofitted stitched leather lower dash panels folding auto dimming mirrors solar sunroof cold weather package CD changer 2x12 subwoofers double glazing all around memory seats passenger seat adjustment from rear seat Bose servotronic xenon plus headlights

C5 Allroad 4.2 BAS 4.2 LZ6G Irish Green Metallic Bose RNS-E Rear Blinds folding auto dimming mirrors Heated MFSW with shift buttons PDC Recaros heated seats all around CD changer Nav

B5 A4 STCC Edition AJL 1.8T Quattro Built engine GT28RS maxxecu Remote locking Trip computer Sport seats Eibach/Bilstein suspension Flexfuel

C5 A6 1.8T Quattro AWT 1.8T Reliable, unlike the others

Previous Audis B7 S4 Avant B5 A4 Avant 1.8T B8 A5 SB 3.0tdi C5 A6 1.8T C5 Allroad 2.5 TDI