A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Driving bliss

Driving bliss Best roads? Best music? Whatever makes your 8 the best place to be, share it with us

Old 13th November 2015, 10:01 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Default The Driving Music Thread

Talk of music and 'ear worms' recently in this thread got me thinking we need a Driving Music discussion thread.

Perhaps between us we could compile a top 50 of tunes that best complement the '8s power and serenity.

I'm going to start by nominating a track that, quite aptly, I was reminded of this morning by the braking squeal of a passing car outside, which just happened to sound exactly like the violin in the opening seconds of this track:

Ennio Morricone - Chi Mai: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbHP9NtSnB0
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 13th November 2015, 10:31 AM

I've a couple of choices that are cranked up when SWMBO isn't with me to complain.

Tool - Lateralus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tcW-j7KFgY
Bruce Springsteen - Radio Nowhere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtrOYsNCPmg
Guns N' Roses - Civil War: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1fHxPY3TJo

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 13th November 2015, 10:43 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

I think we should add to the list of topics that shouldn't be discussed with friends - sex, politics and religion - to include music!

Such a personal topic - and I wouldn't have any of the tracks suggested so far in my car!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 13th November 2015, 11:06 AM

I agree with Jim, music tastes are going to be so varied there's never going to be an agreement. If you came for a ride in my car you are most likely to hear either various 80's music, or some weird electronic stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi9tJ8QoBus

Or movie soundtracks, Bladerunner, etc.
Old 13th November 2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
I think we should add to the list of topics that shouldn't be discussed with friends - sex, politics and religion - to include music!

Such a personal topic - and I wouldn't have any of the tracks suggested so far in my car!
Then what would you have? Do tell

I dunno .... certainly the choice of music is very subjective, but it's not generally a topic of contention and I suspect we'll probably find that our tastes overlap a lot.

Personally, my music tastes vary very widely, from classical right through to heavier rock numbers like matty posted.

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 13th November 2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Personally, my music tastes vary very widely, from classical right through to heavier rock numbers like matty posted.
Like wise Mark, my taste is also broad covering classical, jazz, country, hey... even Eurovision!

The default tunes in the car would be Radio 2 on quiet.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 13th November 2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
I agree with Jim, music tastes are going to be so varied there's never going to be an agreement. If you came for a ride in my car you are most likely to hear either various 80's music, or some weird electronic stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi9tJ8QoBus

Or movie soundtracks, Bladerunner, etc.
Now you see, I'd probably listen to that in the car. Never heard it before but I do like a bit of Jean Michel Jarre and Mike Oldfield, both of which have a similar sound.

I'm not suggesting we should all agree and that we should like the same music -- quite the opposite -- it's great to hear different music and possibly get introduced to new music that I otherwise may never have heard.

Cars Owned:

Old 13th November 2015, 11:47 AM

Delighted to see this pop up as a thread mark as I was thinking about the exact same thing only yesterday. I have very varied tastes in music too but thought of starting a "What's your favorite driving album?" thread.

This stemmed from listening to an album I've liked for a long time, but now really like after listening to it while driving the 8. The B&O has transformed the listening experience, even SWMBO commented on how fantastic it sounded during the last drive we took with it playing.

Twenty years old but ahead of it's time in my opinion........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a2RIwg_KFU

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 13th November 2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
Like wise Mark, my taste is also broad covering classical, jazz, country, hey... even Eurovision!

The default tunes in the car would be Radio 2 on quiet.
Yup, same here.

And up there with Eurovision numbers, at the embarrassing end of the spectrum, I'm going to confess to occasionally listening to a bit of Paolo Conte, such as this:
Paolo Conte - Via Con Me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o_rGhcBgME
I've even been known to listen to some chick-tunes by the likes of Dido, etc.

Between those and the heavy stuff, I'll listen to anything from Pink Floyd to 80's Pop.

When I'm in the mood for something at the the heavier end of the spectrum, I'll listen to Guns N' Roses, Nickelback, etc. The Manics are one of my favourites in this genre, especially these two lesser-known tracks, which I absolutely love to listen to while driving:

Manic Street Preachers - Roses In The Hospital:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAARKVbU4LU

Manic Street Preachers - Sleepflower:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGYnEtqU8u8

Cars Owned:

Last edited by moltuae; 13th November 2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 13th November 2015, 01:50 PM

Twenty years old but ahead of it's time in my opinion........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a2RIwg_KFU

Love that track too