A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 7th December 2017, 05:23 AM

But why get rid of the venerable 6? Much better fuel economy........

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 7th December 2017, 09:00 AM

It's the Pace car for a load of Noggy S4's and RS4's..........
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 7th December 2017, 10:16 AM

Oh that one! FWD so it'll need a few extra bits and bobs at the back
Old 7th December 2017, 02:05 PM

Owww right that one. Then a manual might be better, but still not cheap. 2.7bi blower with 6 speed straight cut short shift box straight through the back wheels only with an LSD. Should be able to get + of 1000bhp. Perfect pace car, catch me if can

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 7th December 2017, 02:13 PM

It takes a lot of money to break the 1000bhp barrier on a 2.7t

We are using a donor car so will have everything needed for the 4.2 Quattro swap 👍
Old 8th December 2017, 05:55 AM

If you already have a 4.2 working in an A8........why take it out, have to rejig the whole shebang just to put it in another different A8?!?! Seems like a lot of work.... I did jump into this right in the middle, I suspect I'm missing something!

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 8th December 2017, 09:03 AM

Because the recipient is Nogaro Blue
Old 8th December 2017, 03:46 PM

the 3.7 260 FL has as much power as the PF 4.2 iirc and uses the 19A transmission might be easier to fit ?
Old 8th December 2017, 04:09 PM

The AQG is 260hp, the ABZ is 300, so not quite the same. However, the difference in infrastructure, electronics, plumbing etc between PF and FL means its far from a simple swap. The FL for example has an electronic throttle, but the PF doesn't have provision for it in the pedal cluster so you'd have to swap that over which involves removing the brake master cylinder and servo! That's before you pull the dash to get to the wiring.

PF to PF or FL to FL is pretty easy. Mixing the two gets very messy very quickly

In this instance, the 5-speed is a FWD version so needs to go in the bin anyway
Old 8th December 2017, 07:19 PM

It's gotta be easier to have at it with some paint!