A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 12th May 2018, 01:16 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
I have one of them, but he goes on holiday and other rather unhelpful things, AND he does not fit in the boot for problems on the road.
BUT then again my friendly spanner man has similiar problems.
I do know a fuel tanker driver, but he is also very unhelpful character; just like my bank manager, he will not let me have any free samples.
Oh dear, I could go on all day like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Problem with "The Little Tool" is that it is only plastic and if big fingers have been there before you the the thread could be damaged.
Mine was.
Last week I managed to clean it up and it was a big help.
All I need now is my strength back, I can't lift the bloodie wheels anymore.

I had to use a spade as a lever.
You can buy metal wheel alignment tools. Brian has one
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 12th May 2018, 01:54 PM

TPS will sell you an aluminium one for a few quid - it's called a tommy bar or fitting pin in Etka. Part number is 7L0 012 223

It's standard kit on newer 6/7/8 Audis

It's too long to fit in the space in the D2 tool kit, but there's plenty of other space in there to keep it in. Mine lives in with my electric tyre inflator.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 12th May 2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Mine lives in with my electric tyre inflator.
I have one of them as well, but she don't half moan when I get her to move her foot up and down to operate the pump bit

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 12th May 2018, 02:30 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

These are my 15mm front ones:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheel-Spa...53.m2749.l2649
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 12th May 2018, 02:36 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Those are a lot cheaper than the ones I was looking at!

Presumably you've had no issues with them?

And I guess these would be ok for the rear in that case?:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wheel-Spa...2/162127175125
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 12th May 2018, 09:50 PM

I have ET35 wheels instead of stock ET48 so it is essentially the same as having 13mm spacer and I also have 255 tyres instead of 245 so that adds another 5mm to outside and they do rub a bit on front but from what I gather there is a bit more space for FL as some people run 275 front / 295 rear on them without rubbing.

I am more interested about GoodYears MJ has and how she feels about them. I currently have GY Eagle F1 on S8 in a bit out of normal size for A/S8 255/45R19. I bought them second hand in 2015 I think, 2 are made 2012, 2 in 2013 - all were over 7mm when bought them. At first they were OK in summer but when the temperature dropped in autumn they did not have any grip and it has only gotten worse over time. They have worn pretty badly as well, only done less than 6k miles and already down to about 3mm and cracked tread and even worse grip. Now not much grip even in warm, today it was 17.5C I was turning right in mini roundabout, gave it some beans and rear stepped out like if it was BMW ( mine is early 1997 S8 so no ESP or traction control)

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 12th May 2018, 10:45 PM

There are two models of Eagle F1 on the market at the moment - the Asymmetric 2 and 3. 2s are becoming a little thin on the ground and are NLA in some sizes since 3 is the replacement.

The 2 is a splendid tyre - we have them on the TT in 225 45 18 and it sticks like glue. They're quiet and pretty good in the wet too. We should see 10-12K (15-18 months) from them which is acceptable for a performance tyre.

I bought the Asymmetric 3 for the S8 in 245 45 18, thinking they would be 'one better' than the 2s, but I was gravely disappointed. They're the ones I described as 'tractor tyres' - they're soggy and bouncy and have little to no feedback, and they're pretty noisy. Plus they have a very ugly balloon-like sidewall so they make me cross every time I look at them.

I've just bought a set of Asymmetric 2s in 255 35 20 for the S8 and at least they have a good looking sidewall like the TT tyres do They won't be scrubbed in until I get to the annual meet though so its too early to tell how the S8 will behave on them.

The 18" Asymmetric 3s will be summer tyres for the Allroad.
Old 23rd May 2018, 09:11 PM

Well, I had the spacers fitted today (along with new Michelin PS4 tyres and newly refurbished wheels) but something's not right

The steering feels a little more centrally weighted, which I don't mind, but the problem is there's an alternating left-right pulling of the wheel, particularly at speeds of around 30-40 mph. Is that likely to be caused by the spacers?

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 23rd May 2018, 09:29 PM

Hmm that's not something I've experienced with spacers before. Try removing the front ones and see what happens?
Old 23rd May 2018, 09:43 PM

Thanks MJ, will do.

I might have them remove all 4 for now, just in case.

Could the spacers be throwing the wheel alignment off I wonder? Could incorrect wheel alignment result in those symptoms?

EDIT: I'm wondering also if one of the refurbished wheels is bent and that maybe the bent wheel was previously on the back?

Cars Owned:

Last edited by moltuae; 23rd May 2018 at 09:55 PM.