A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 31st December 2018, 10:18 AM

That’s right. No DIS connectivity.
Old 2nd January 2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Wait, what? I thought this thread was about changing your original head unit? Are you just looking to change the speakers and keep the Concert head unit?

The Concert has amp outputs for front and rear so you don't need a line-level converter. Sound quality is pants with those anyway. I'm sure I've seen an adapter to get phono connectors from the Concert so you can drive an amp directly - I'll have a look.

Edit - found one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adapter-C...I/283313111847
If I use this to connect amplifier and subwoofer, I can still run speakers through stereo right?
Old 4th January 2019, 06:15 PM

Yeah that will work fine
Old 4th January 2019, 11:05 PM

i have a doubledin android system with dab+
On my car the fm antenna is crap so I wanted dab so I habe radio again
Hooked it up to my bose amp with a converter and sound is good. MJ listened to it at ADI

Spent less then 100 euro and very pleased with it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181010_211703.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	20644  
Old 5th January 2019, 12:11 PM

Pink Floyd
Dark Side
Wow,

That is what I always used back in the early 70's to exercise car audio systems.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 5th January 2019, 04:03 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Pink Floyd
Dark Side
Wow,

That is what I always used back in the early 70's to exercise car audio systems.
Yeah I'm a huge fan of pink floyd, allthough I did surprise MJ with a Billy Idol song done by Scooter
Old 5th January 2019, 04:39 PM

Haha I'd forgotten about that

I'm also a Pink Floyd fan. The Wall is one of my all time favourite albums, and a very good workout for any stereo system
Old 5th January 2019, 04:46 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

You can't beat a bit Floyd

I'm not a big fan of some of their pre-70s work but I love most of the later stuff, particularly On the Turning Away, Comfortably Numb, The Gunner's Dream and Two Suns in the Sunset .... to name but a few favourites.

Oh and not forgetting The Great Gig in the Sky, featuring Clare Torry and those incredible vocals! (which she did in a single take I believe!).:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T13se_2A7c8
Simply fantastic.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 5th January 2019, 05:00 PM

Comfortably Numb is my test track of choice, sounds wonderful (at appropriate volume) in a D2.

As for Dark Side of The Moon I had the good fortune/misfortune to get to one of their first performances (1973?) at Wembley Arena (Pool then IIRC) and was sat in the middle of the very front row!
It was obviously very noisy there but also very very cold from all the dry ice.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 5th January 2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 5th January 2019, 07:23 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Comfortably Numb is my test track of choice, sounds wonderful (at appropriate volume) in a D2.

As for Dark Side of The Moon I had the good fortune/misfortune to get to one of their first performances (1973?) at Wembley Arena (Pool then IIRC) and was sat in the middle of the very front row!
It was obviously very noisy there but also very very cold from all the dry ice.
Nice!

I've never seen Pink Floyd in concert but I did have the good fortune to see Queen perform live in '86, also centre-stage and very close, though not quite front row.

Wish You Were Here (the album) used to be my test tape. I discovered Pink Floyd quite late (around the late 80s / early 90s). I was working as an Audio Visual technician at the time (mainly designing and installing board room 'media wall' video projection systems, a bit like this). I needed something to test a newly installed sound system one day and happened to find an old copy of Wish You Were Here (on cassette) while rummaging through a box of cables. It was the first time I'd really listened to Pink Floyd but I loved the album and it soon became my test tape for every AV installation. The first track on the album, 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond', is a particularly good test track because it combines a gentle, quiet start that gradually builds, which was great for testing both the clarity and power of the sound systems.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 5th January 2019 at 07:32 PM.