A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 10th December 2017, 01:24 PM

It has been eventful week with NiceHash going down. I had somewhere near 0.05 BTC earned when it went down. I guess it's all gone now, there are not much details but it seems like all their wallet /wallets were cleaned so I do not see how they can come back and cover everybody's balance unless they had other reserves or if they receive a big investment. But they can probably sell IP and open another service based on it. I am not sure it was done for financial gain as BTC blockchain is public and all transactions can be traced so it will be very hard to cash it in without being traced. I would say it's more likely to be competitor who just wanted to bring NiceHash down or possibly grudged former or current employee.

Anyway it's not all bad as it forced me to look at alternatives and I was already considering mining some coins directly in the future, this just brought the process forward. I have spent a lot of time since trying to work out best options. I guess I lost about £500 that i had earned on NiceHash but my monthly income has probably increased now by the same amount.

My AMD cards are now set up as CryptoNight rigs on miningrigrentals and mining Electroneum directly when not rented out and instead of earning £20-25 per day on NiceHash they are now getting about £40, nVidia cards were earning very little on WinMiner so I have set them as Equihash rig on MRR for now and mining BTG directly when not rented out but I think I will need to change this to lyra2REv2 and mine Monacoin when not rented out. Or possibly sell them and get 3x Vegas instead.

L3+'s are on MRR as well but price after initial surge have gone down now and when not rented out they are working on prohashing for now.

D3 has modified firmware and has gone from 19GH/s and 1185W to 15.8GH/s and 735W, also rented out on MRR most of the time and on prohashing when not.

It's definitely more involving and taking up much more time, Electroneum seems good and offer decent return exchanging it for BTC on Cryptopia but their withdrawal fees are rather large so only acceptable when trading large quantities.

Also after one of the used RX 480 I bought in the summer failed about a month ago and I sent it out for warranty replacement has now been replaced with RX580 by manufacturer and I have not yet plugged it in. I was a bit worried whether they will honour warranty as I had modified BIOS and overclocked it but they replaced it no questions asked.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 10th December 2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11th December 2017, 02:28 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Thanks for the update and the info

I need to find some time to experiment with different pools. I'm just using WinMiner for my GPU rigs presently which, as you say, doesn't give the best earnings. It's also somewhat buggy; rigs seem to drop off the dashboard occasionally for no apparent reason, requiring WinMiner to be restarted to get them back online.

Does the D3 modified firmware enable you to increase the hash rate rather than decrease the power? And, if you run it at 19GH/s (or more) with the modified firmware, will it use less power than it would with the official firmware?

PS - Just had notification that my S9 from the January batch is on it's way already!
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 11th December 2017, 02:55 PM

I reckon it was the Norks who hacked Nicehash. Kim is probably spending our BTC on building more missiles.

I set my Vega rig up on Miningpoolhub as it can auto-switch currency per algo depending on the best return, and will auto-exchange earnings to the currency of your choice which is pretty handy. It only does Monero on XMR at the moment but could switch to Electroneum when its supported if it was paying better. It was running at about £12 a day before fees, but I was away over the weekend so it was shut down as I still don't know if its stable. I'm going to crank up the fan speeds this evening and run it overnight to see what it does. I read somewhere that the card's reported temperature was the GPU core, but the memory runs quite a bit hotter. Since the GPU has been at 75*, toasty memory could account for the random crashes. Fingers crossed...

After two hours its running at a steady 3.6KH/s, both GPUs reporting ~50*C. Cast-XMR seems to get more H/s from these cards, but XMR-stak has a watchdog timer to reboot if the GPU crashes so sticking with that for now.

Update: 11pm, still going, but the return looks far lower than the figures initially suggested - its only made £1 in 7 hours MPH does PPLNS payment though which apparently takes longer to see returns but pays a bit better according to an FAQ I found somewhere else. I'm going to run it for as long as it stays stable and see what happens.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 11th December 2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12th December 2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post

Does the D3 modified firmware enable you to increase the hash rate rather than decrease the power? And, if you run it at 19GH/s (or more) with the modified firmware, will it use less power than it would with the official firmware?
You can overclock on the standard firmware but more power and hotter and it voids warranty etc.
Underclocking/volting is for efficiency and seeing that the market fell out the bottom on the D3 probably a smart move to try and keep it running and earning. With a bit of luck coins mined now will gain in value and overall it could be worth it.....This is why you can pick up a D3 under a grand on ebay atm and three months back they were £3-4K

It's the issue with a Single Algorithm Asic in a small market (X11 is tiny compared with SHA256 (BTC)). The release of the super fast Asics killed the market in months

Quote:
PS - Just had notification that my S9 from the January batch is on it's way already!
Oooh. Interesting. I'd heard that the S9's were generally shipping early. Mine is 21st-31st Jan and having a quick look at the order tab it hasn't yet shipped.....On one hand I'd like it early. On the other if it drops over Christmas i'm gonna have to come into work one day and wait for it

Interestingly the S7 is going for £1000-1500 on ebay atm. I paid £750 a couple of months back. Temptation for a quick buck????

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)

Last edited by ulfilias; 12th December 2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 12th December 2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Stock firmware lets you change frequency, cutom firmware allows to change voltage as well and if you want you can set it individually for each hashing board so you have more control. What you choose to do is up to you and results will vary on each individual device. I could really use individual hashing board settings on one of L3+s as it's got 3 boards that overclock well and one that does not.

From the development thread

Quote:
Some startup settings to get you going:

for silence and best efficiency / miner lifetime (my personal preference)

Expected hashrate: 15Mh/s to 17 Mh/s
Expected power usage: 700 - 780 watt

set the frequency at "400mhz", set the voltage to "lowest". Now slowly increase the frequency until you see HW errors. When you have a few HW errors an hour you found the sweet spot
set the fan speed manual somewhere between 20 - 30 percent. Chip temp should be somewhere between 75 - 80 degrees max.

For stock performance at lowest possible power usage

Expected hashrate: 18-5Mh/s to 19Mh/s
Expected power usage: 950 - 1100 watt

set the fan speed to automatic mode.
set the frequency at "525mhz", set the voltage to "13". Now decrease the voltage until you see HW errors. When you have a few HW errors an hour you found the sweet spot

For Extreme performance (this is not recommended for 24/7 usage)

Expected hashrate: 21Mh/s
Expected power usage: 1300 - 1400 watt

set the fan speed to automatic mode.
set the frequency at "600mhz", set the voltage to "18". Now decrease the voltage until you see HW errors. When you have a few HW errors an hour you found the sweet spot
Before NiceHash went down D3 was earning less than £5/day there with about £2.40 electricity costs so would have taken very long time to pay back £1600 investment. So I decided to play a long game, optimise it for low power consumption, mine Dash directly, keep it and hope for price to increase. But at it's underclocked state it's earning about £9/day with £1.75 costs on MRR and is rented out almost all the time so I will probably raise the speed near to what it was at stock and earn about £11/day.

Quote:
For me only PSU has shipped last week and should be arriving today, S9 itself has not shipped yet.

Quote:
I reckon it was the Norks who hacked Nicehash. Kim is probably spending our BTC on building more missiles.

I set my Vega rig up on Miningpoolhub as it can auto-switch currency per algo depending on the best return, and will auto-exchange earnings to the currency of your choice which is pretty handy. It only does Monero on XMR at the moment but could switch to Electroneum when its supported if it was paying better. It was running at about £12 a day before fees, but I was away over the weekend so it was shut down as I still don't know if its stable. I'm going to crank up the fan speeds this evening and run it overnight to see what it does. I read somewhere that the card's reported temperature was the GPU core, but the memory runs quite a bit hotter. Since the GPU has been at 75*, toasty memory could account for the random crashes. Fingers crossed...

After two hours its running at a steady 3.6KH/s, both GPUs reporting ~50*C. Cast-XMR seems to get more H/s from these cards, but XMR-stak has a watchdog timer to reboot if the GPU crashes so sticking with that for now.

Update: 11pm, still going, but the return looks far lower than the figures initially suggested - its only made £1 in 7 hours MPH does PPLNS payment though which apparently takes longer to see returns but pays a bit better according to an FAQ I found somewhere else. I'm going to run it for as long as it stays stable and see what happens.

Single Vega does about £8-9 per day for me on miningrigrentals and is rented out most of the time. when not rented it mines Electroneum directly about £7 per day but I am keeping that and no t cashing in as its not cost effective for small quantities and waiting for pice to rise. some predict price to be £20-30 by the March 2018 instead of current £0.07-0.08.

8 history:
Old 12th December 2017, 01:00 PM

I am going to have to move from MPH then, since both my Vegas are barely going to have earned £6 between them in 24 hours.

However, they do finally seem to be stable now which is something at least.
Old 12th December 2017, 06:12 PM

26 hours in, temps at ~55, still running at 3.6KH/s. They have earned £7 so far with £1.40 of electricity.

I'm going to see how long they will run like this, and then see if I can get a stable 3.8-4K from them with cast-XMR.
Old 12th December 2017, 06:20 PM

Whats the best place to buy BCH? Want to purchase a L3+ but they want payment in BCH

Old 12th December 2017, 06:30 PM

Don't know if you can buy directly but you can buy BTC and exchange to BCH using https://www.shapeshift.io or https://changelly.com/ or directly in Exodus wallet. Other services exist...

8 history:
Old 12th December 2017, 06:36 PM

You can buy it directly from Bittylicious. They're usually pretty expensive, but it might be cheaper than conversion fees.