A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Fuel and Exhausts

D2 - Fuel and Exhausts Everything to do with getting fuel into the engine, and fumes back out again

Old 6th October 2021, 01:40 PM

Default Cat rattle.

I hit a pothole yesterday and there was a rattle afterwards, which persists.
Pretty sure it's from one of the cats.
I changed one on this car before, and the mechanic silenced the rattle with a hammer, but I still ended up fitting the oem cat.

Now, I'm in Bulgaria- and emissions don't matter here. The car is running well and I'll certainly give the thing a whack and see if it helps.

If I were to remove the cat, and poke out all the enviro-gubbins contained within, will it cause the car any problem?

Car is a 2000 model FL S8 btw.
Old 6th October 2021, 07:50 PM

If completely removed you’re likely to get EML on as the post cat lambda probes will be seeing a rich mixture. That’s an MOT fail these days, although suspect plenty of dodgy testers remain that will emissions test another vehicle to get around it (god knows why as they’re putting their licence at risk)

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 8th October 2021, 10:53 AM

Hi Adrian.
I'm looking for a cheap fix here.
We are in Bulgaria, having an EML on is no problem, except to me. You know what we are like!
So, I just need it to run, which it does, and function normally- no lights.

Two possible things I came up with.

1. Remove cat, give it a shake and loose bits might fall out- thus stopping the rattle?
2. I saw a youtube where a guy located the bad bit by listening very closely, then driving a self tapper in to hold it.

Or I could just keep the radio on....
Old 8th October 2021, 11:56 AM

Yeah, I understand was thinking about the scenario when you bring it back to the UK. With the EML light on, usual practice is for the ECU to default to a 'safe' map. It shouldn't cause you any problems as it won't go so lean due to what the lambda sensors are showing post-cats as to cause any damage - it will have been programmed to recognise the most likely scenario where pre-cat lambdas look fine and post-cat are way off to recognise the cat is the cause.

To stop EML without cats involves flashing the ECU to remove the post cat lambdas

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 9th October 2021, 02:42 PM

Well, it's stopped.

I'm not getting too excited about this, but it would be good to know what others have done about this, apart from change the Cat.

I may as well post my own previous on this.
I came out one morning years ago, started the car and got this death rattle, which seemed associated with rpm.
I had to go to work, so after checking the oil, I drove very gently- thinking, 'Me car is fooked!'.
After work I took it to 'A for Audi' in Clydebank, fearing the worst.
Andy put it up on the ramp, engine rattling like a *******.
He smacked the cat with a mashie, and the noise stopped dead.

I've rarely been more impressed, in a garage.
Old 9th October 2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wallwork View Post
I'm not getting too excited about this, but it would be good to know what others have done about this, apart from change the Cat.
I changed my cat (just one side needed doing) eventually, though by the time I got round to it the rattling had almost gone.

Turns out that the matrix inside had pretty much disintegrated and had almost entirely been blown out! So the exchange return didn't net them much in the way of rare elements.

Despite one side of the engine missing the cat I didn't get any warning light and it sailed through the MOT emissions just fine. 2002 build FL S8.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 10th October 2021, 12:49 PM

Thanks HP.
Good to know!

I shall follow your advice for the time being.