A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 28th February 2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The riser boards and the PCIe power cables for now I'm going to make a bracket to hold the front of the cards to the board, but its too cold in the workshop for making anything at the moment!
Neat. Looks a nice little set-up. I'd be tempted to shroud and add a filter though as cats create all sorts of dust and fluff which is less than good computers. Even a box over the top with some foam type stuff covering the vents!

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 1st March 2018, 01:19 PM

So.....Litecoin Cash is falling like a lead balloon.....However the network is adjusting and i'm now getting 40 a day vs 12ish and at £0.96 that's ~£38 a day.

Next nearest thing fluctuates between BCH/UNIT/BTC and that's about half for my 22TH hashing power.

I like the idea of LCC....A fast, cheap and usable SHA256 coin. It doesn't seem in any way a scam, though lots of people seem to use that word wrongly. Arguably the developers made some money, but who wouldn't....and i find it amusing that Charlie Lee is complaining that someone forked his coin, when he did pretty much that same to bitcoin

Who know where this will go and what i should have been doing now, in a few months time.....

Guess i'll stick to it, until i'm below ~£20 a day......This really is a financial roller coaster !!!

Previous :

Also :
Old 2nd March 2018, 11:26 PM

Have not done anything further about soundproofing as at the colder weather temps, fan speeds and noise is lower anyway.

So I have been looking at moving from CryptoNight to Eth on my AMD rigs. But it's a bit challenging with the BIOS mods, clock and miner settings and while the GPU's were just fine in close proximity on Onda motherboards for CryptoNight they are getting too hot on Eth.

I am also going to make a micro rig for my 1080 Ti's that are currently running in my old computer as I need something to keep one of my small bedrooms warmer. I bought this motherboard with integrated CPU for £25,
it's only 17x17cm https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pegatron-...53.m2749.l2649

I will put 2 Ti cards on it with adapters, 1 either side of motherboard, one upside down so that both have fans on the outside and blowing exhaust in the same direction. The PSU will go on top of motherboard sucking air from the motherboard and blowing out in the same direction as GPU's. On the top will go acrylic or similar oversized panel with a a picture or artwork. This can then be attached to the wall high enough for kids not to reach it , blowing warm air downwards and looking like a piece of art.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 3rd March 2018, 08:52 AM

for micro-rigs with a secondary purpose

Can you split that single PCIe port?
Old 3rd March 2018, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
for micro-rigs with a secondary purpose

Can you split that single PCIe port?
I could and I have 1 to 3 splitter. It was not working well on Microserver, I thought it was splitters fault and have not used it since but it was a bit dodgy on Microserver even with one card without splitter so the splitter might be OK. There are other versions like 1 to 2 and 1 to 4 as well, possibly even more. My friend is using 1 to 2 without any issues. The bus bandwidth is not an issue, each card only uses 1-2% of available bandwidth running on Gen2 x1 PCIe slot.

On this one the idea is to use 1x normal riser and 1x mPCIe riser as that should be less bulky than using splitter.

Also I think I will skip the mSata SSD on this one and run EthOs from USB stick if I can get WiFi working on it as I do not want to run Ethernet cable to it because I have not any Ethernet sockets in the room I want to use it in.

8 history:
Old 5th March 2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post

Guess i'll stick to it, until i'm below ~£20 a day......This really is a financial roller coaster !!!
And LCC is up at £2.40 and i've got a little over 300!!! That 40 a day has dropped down to 28 as people switch back with it looking more promising.

That 40 was £96 a day not the £38 when it was mined.

It's still not showing on whattomine.com/asic though the more i watch that site, the less i seem to trust it with things

It's now on the latest download of Coinomi which makes things easier. It's also starting to show up on some more exchanges which I guess is helping it's value. I'm still expecting it to fall and rise as people off load freebie coins from the 10:1 litecoin fork, but it's showing that it's worth mining like heck when it's new and minting fast and then hodling for a while to see where things really go.

On the upside it's making my miners much closer to breaking even much quicker too, so you really don't know what is going to happen when you buy them!!!

Previous :

Also :
Old 5th March 2018, 11:25 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Well, I have 2 x L3+ Antminers (inc. PSUs) just arrived this morning.

Still not sure whether to keep them or sell them yet. They're selling on Ebay for as much as £3,500 (inc PSU). Not counting any loss of cryptocurrency investment profits (since I used crypo to purchase them), I think they cost me the equivalent of about £1,800 each, including PSU, shipping and duty.

If I decide to put one/both of them on Ebay, I'll probably put them on at a £3K reserve. I'd prefer payment in BTC, so if anyone here is interested in one, I'm happy to sell one for somewhere in the region of 0.25 BTC (inc postage), which would give me small profit. Probably not as much profit as I would've made had I kept the funds invested, but just about enough to make buying them worthwhile I think.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 5th March 2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
And LCC is up at £2.40 and i've got a little over 300!!! That 40 a day has dropped down to 28 as people switch back with it looking more promising.

That 40 was £96 a day not the £38 when it was mined.

It's still not showing on whattomine.com/asic though the more i watch that site, the less i seem to trust it with things

It's now on the latest download of Coinomi which makes things easier. It's also starting to show up on some more exchanges which I guess is helping it's value. I'm still expecting it to fall and rise as people off load freebie coins from the 10:1 litecoin fork, but it's showing that it's worth mining like heck when it's new and minting fast and then hodling for a while to see where things really go.

On the upside it's making my miners much closer to breaking even much quicker too, so you really don't know what is going to happen when you buy them!!!
Which exchanges is it on? I can only see tradesatoshi.com @$0.80 and YoBit @ $4 but still not possible to deposit on YoBit so that does not really count.

8 history:
Old 7th March 2018, 10:28 AM

Amazon bailed on the second of three Vega orders yesterday. They'd been saying the 6th since January, then by 4pm gave up and said they weren't coming

I managed to get a new one on ebay for £650 (which is what the other two have earned so far) so going to stick with three for now and see what happens. If nothing else, they make a very effective clothes dryer

Gizmo is very pleased with his Ethereum heater btw He won't sit still for a photo though!
Old 9th March 2018, 05:23 PM

Oh like this thread, I own a lot of crypto, dabbled in mining but nothing on a large scale.

You guys seen Electroneum is on a mobile mining platform? Might try running a few android emulators at once see what hash it gets!