A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Cars

For Sale and Wanted - Cars For the sale of whole cars, Audi or not, working or not. No cross links to other peoples cars please - Use Spotted online instead

Old 23rd January 2018, 10:33 AM

Smile Talk me into getting a D2 S8!

Okay, I'm looking at SO many D3's but, mainly seeing Lee's D3 S8, it's made me realise that I am a petrol head rather than a heavy oil aficionado. Having three diesels on the spin and I'm gagging to come back from the dark side.

Problem is, I'm not really in the market for a £15k motor right now and I'm happy to put that on the wish list for later.

I've started to think maybe the retro cool of D2 might be fun for a few years while I save my sheckles? What about a D2 S8? Maybe. Are there any late ones left that aren't in collections or the scrappers?!

So I'm thinking maybe I should consider going full fat Ronin, if I can find one? Or am I just opening myself up to a whole heap of trouble?!
Old 23rd January 2018, 11:16 AM

Fear not, there are still quite a few nice examples out there although values have steadily increased over the last couple of years.

The D2 S8 is a super cool car. Old school style, powerful and classy. I'd say mine got more looks and admiration than my D3 S8. The V10 engine is the only thing that makes the D3 S8 cool I think but the 4.2 V8 in the D2 is a lovely engine with ample power.

I often regret selling mine and would definitely have another one now that I know more about them with each visit to this forum.

Don't be afraid, go for it!
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8

Last edited by Conquistador; 23rd January 2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 23rd January 2018, 11:33 AM

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-Audi.../382351083954?

Hmm? Is it fate??

I am tempted, I like a bit of retro but I know even less about these cars than the D3. A quick glance at this one tells me it will need a belt done, which I'm guessing is at least a grand plus at 143k is the gearbox about to send me to the poor house? What, £2.5k for a rebuild?! I'm such a wimp!

I dunno if it is a 'Final Edition' either but I'm not too worried about that, I just assume these monikers are all a bit moody.

Conquistador - thank you my friend, there certainly is something charismatic about these cars and the values they command is still pretty low really.
Old 23rd January 2018, 12:35 PM

They’re great cars. I’m on my third one (actually 2 as my first one was an A8).

They’re not cheap to maintain but not rediculously expensive if you have a decent independent.

I’ve had a few issues with mine but considering the age, and type of the car it’s nothing too drastic. They’re not “that” fast by modern standards but definitely no slouch.....especially at the higher end of the Speedo

Mine is only for weekend duties now and always gets attention when clean.

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 23rd January 2018, 01:22 PM

Do it do it do it do it do it D2 is the best!

That one doesn't appear to be a final edition as it's plain silver with black leather. The silver FEs were Avus Silver which is darker and has a bit of a purple tint, and afaik they all had red or purple extended leather. Its probably 'just' a reasonably well specified late model S8 - still a very nice car though!

At 140K the timing belt definitely needs doing (including water pump and tensioner) if its only had the one in its life. Frankly, its better to get one that needs doing rather than one that's just been done on the cheap because then you can make sure its done properly. Also the cam chain tensioner pads will need doing asap so its worth combining both jobs. The gearbox will have at most 50K left in it, but that is the price you pay for a D2 unfortunately (its totally worth it!). If it drives nicely with no clunks or squeaks then it'll be a case of keep changing the oil regularly and hope for the best. I've had one to 200K, but there aren't many that make it past that.

However... the '12 months MoT' isn't worth the paper its printed on. The lateral G sensor fault mentioned in the listing will cause the ABS warning light to come on, which is an MoT failure. If the tester has 'overlooked' that for 2 years, what else did they miss? The sensor is under the carpet on the passenger side and needs the seat removing to get to it. Our sponsors should have them available so not too traumatic to fix, but it does make me wonder about the rest of it. There's not a hope in hell it's getting 32mpg on the motorway either 24-26 usually. Maybe 28 hypermiling with a tail wind.

Key problem areas are water ingress (well documented) and rust on the subframes and power steering hoses in the passenger side wheel well. These can both be 4 figures to fix properly. The front subframe rusts out just behind the driveshafts so be sure to check that - jack it up a little with full lock either way to get to the problem area. The Brembo calipers are problematic too - make sure it doesn't pull to one side and that the paint on them is in good order. They are expensive to refurbish.

Given the dodgy MoT and the maintenance it needs I think the price is a little high. You're looking at probably £6K all in for the jobs which are obvious, but I'd always say budget at least £1-2K for other random things which need fettling which puts it at the top of the market for any D2. If the body is immaculate then its worth considering, but I'm not getting the warm fuzzies from it because of the MoT.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 23rd January 2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 23rd January 2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Do it do it do it do it do it D2 is the best!

That one doesn't appear to be a final edition as it's plain silver with black leather. The silver FEs were Avus Silver which is darker and has a bit of a purple tint, and afaik they all had red or purple extended leather. Its probably 'just' a reasonably well specified late model S8 - still a very nice car though!

At 140K the timing belt definitely needs doing (including water pump and tensioner) if its only had the one in its life. Frankly, its better to get one that needs doing rather than one that's just been done on the cheap because then you can make sure its done properly. Also the cam chain tensioner pads will need doing asap so its worth combining both jobs. The gearbox will have at most 50K left in it, but that is the price you pay for a D2 unfortunately (its totally worth it!). If it drives nicely with no clunks or squeaks then it'll be a case of keep changing the oil regularly and hope for the best. I've had one to 200K, but there aren't many that make it past that.

However... the '12 months MoT' isn't worth the paper its printed on. The lateral G sensor fault mentioned in the listing will cause the ABS warning light to come on, which is an MoT failure. If the tester has 'overlooked' that for 2 years, what else did they miss? The sensor is under the carpet on the passenger side and needs the seat removing to get to it. Our sponsors should have them available so not too traumatic to fix, but it does make me wonder about the rest of it. There's not a hope in hell it's getting 32mpg on the motorway either 24-26 usually. Maybe 28 hypermiling with a tail wind.

Key problem areas are water ingress (well documented) and rust on the subframes and power steering hoses in the passenger side wheel well. These can both be 4 figures to fix properly. The front subframe rusts out just behind the driveshafts so be sure to check that - jack it up a little with full lock either way to get to the problem area. The Brembo calipers are problematic too - make sure it doesn't pull to one side and that the paint on them is in good order. They are expensive to refurbish.

Given the dodgy MoT and the maintenance it needs I think the price is a little high. You're looking at probably £6K all in for the jobs which are obvious, but I'd always say budget at least £1-2K for other random things which need fettling which puts it at the top of the market for any D2. If the body is immaculate then its worth considering, but I'm not getting the warm fuzzies from it because of the MoT.
Thank you for such comprehensive replies chaps. Very helpful. The D2 does have an uber cool feeling about it and if I can get the right S8 then I think this might need to be my first 8 adventure! After 9 years of very nice, very sanitised new cars I need something with some retro coolness about it!
Old 23rd January 2018, 09:49 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

I’m on my third D2 and second S8. I’ve got just under 180K on the clock and the gearbox, which has had a proper gearbox oil service 3 or 4 times, is good. I’ve never got more than 24mpg, but then I don’t drive at 50mph on the motorway with the cruise control on!
This one is definitely not an FE, but the FE spec wasn’t very good so it’s just a bit of ‘snobbery’ really!
But go ahead and buy one - they’re great fun as cool as you can get for the money by miles.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 24th January 2018, 09:16 AM

I'll agree with the others on here but I'm a little biased since I also have a D2 S8, my first '8 too and I've not once regretted it. There are a few things which need fixing but so far it's only really been service items like CV boots and suspension arms (although more recently the ABS and traction lights at random times!). Not bad for 108k miles and nearly 18 years old.

As MJ says there are water ingress issues, search for Botang's Hole and there will be plenty to see...

It's a great car to drive and has a real presence on the road I think. There aren't often many for sale though so make sure you check it thoroughly before buying.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 29th January 2018, 01:03 PM

I do love how this board will rip to shreds an ebay advert. Final Edition seems to be like a rag to a bull here....As said the spec wasn't particularly good apart from nice wheels and LOUD interior.

There's a few variants in the range. I had an early model one and apart from lush carpets, it was a bit basic, still fun to drive. The Face lift model came in and improved a fair amount of things. Updating the look, adding front parking sensors and a much better sat-nav stereo in the double width format. Reasonably easy to change too. There's also a later model variant that brought in the dog leg on the gearbox which is sport mode for a little bit more umph, though with kick down working i'm not sure the need of it (also worth checking it's enabled as a lot were not, easy twist switch under the gas pedal).

I had gearbox issues with the PF at ~120k despite servicing! My FL however hit ~230k without touching the gearbox !!!

Great cars, lots of road presence and they really don't act like big cars, apart from parking! So light and positive.

I also had LPG on my FL. That would do over 32mpg on LPG. Mid 20s on petrol. PRINS multipoint system and on a big engine you didn't notice much difference between the two and you always had petrol if you wanted to boot it!

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 31st January 2018, 05:47 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
Final Edition seems to be like a rag to a bull here....As said the spec wasn't particularly good apart from nice wheels and LOUD interior.
Not all FE interiors were LOUD! Mine (and Mark’s) are silver grey - very tasteful IMHO! And the FE wheels were quite common on late non-FE cars. The FEs all had the phone prep, dark myrtle wood trim and ‘exclusive’ paint and leather combinations (but the extent of the leather varied considerably). The big give-away (although it’s sometimes missing!) is the 2-tone steering wheel to match the seat leather.

Now, please put that red rag away!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).