A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 25th February 2023, 09:53 AM

MJ had a bit of a write up here as well.

http://62.255.96.108/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=107
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 26th February 2023, 11:06 AM

I've a question for those in the know.

As most know, my D2 spends most of its life parked in a garage - I have been leaving the gearbox in Park, of course, but with hadnbrake off.

Which is best to prevent future issues?

1. Handbrake off
2. Handbrake on
3. Handbrake on, but only very slightly
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 26th February 2023, 12:59 PM

Handbrake off definitely. That way when a caliper seizes the car still moves
Old 26th February 2023, 04:44 PM

For MJ,
Earlier you said this can be done without removing anything yet in the thread referenced by Strummagnet you drop the exhaust and remove the heatshield. Before I visit the garage tomorrow can you advise if it can be done without the faff of removing stuff? Thanks MJ
Old 26th February 2023, 05:02 PM

Yeah it can be done without removing everything. Its fiddly and needs a long extension and a torch but it is possible
Old 26th February 2023, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Yeah it can be done without removing everything. Its fiddly and needs a long extension and a torch but it is possible
Old 26th February 2023, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
For MJ,
Earlier you said this can be done without removing anything yet in the thread referenced by Strummagnet you drop the exhaust and remove the heatshield. Before I visit the garage tomorrow can you advise if it can be done without the faff of removing stuff? Thanks MJ
Ask them first to check handbrake lever shafts on both calipers to make sure that they are moving freely and the springs return them back all the way when releasing handbrake before trying to adjust cable.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 27th February 2023, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Ask them first to check handbrake lever shafts on both calipers to make sure that they are moving freely and the springs return them back all the way when releasing handbrake before trying to adjust cable.
Thanks Ainar, yes I did exactly that this morning and took them them the service manual extract and MJ's picture of access. Even told them the size of the socket needed to fit the adjuster.

5 mins ago they just phoned to say a caliper needs replacement. That's after it was removed and freed up in Feb 21 and that after a full refurb by BiggRedd in Dec 2019. So, im pretty cheesed off at the mo and not convinced it needs replacement. Just looking at prices/options etc right now before heading to garage and having a discussion/look see.
Old 27th February 2023, 03:18 PM

The moisture gets in by the handbrake lever shaft in the caliper and start corroding, which introduces extra friction and the spring does not fully return the lever when handbrake is released, this means self adjusting mechanism in caliper is not working properly.

It's a design feature for the Audi's of that era. Was a problem on all I had with quattro, not sure if quattro are more affected as I never had front wheel drive long enough. If you spray some penetrating oil and exercise the lever it usually frees up enough and self adjusts inside caliper so that it passes MOT and is good enough till next year. Small amount of waterproof grease where the shaft enters calliper might help to seal it off and slow the moisture ingress.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 27th February 2023, 03:52 PM

Just spoken to garage and, as you suggest, its the lever seized. This happened 2 yrs ago and they just freed it up. This time the easy option (for them!) is to replace it and, tbh, if the seals has let water/grime in again it may be the best thing to do. I'm getting them to price a replacement but will have a go at BiggRed to see what they might say. AFter all, i would expect more than 15k miles and 7 yrs from a fully refurbed caliper. The refurb by them in Dec 19 was an "Out of Warranty" discounted refurb!
Anyone got a pair sitting on the shelf they want to sell?