A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Common Faults

D4 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 26th September 2016, 09:31 AM

Default D4 dead flat battery - help please

Our car must have gone off me. After the recent handbrake failure it now has a stone cold dead battery. Had been fine until Saturday when it would not even unlock. Used the key to get in but found the car to be completely dead.

Is this normal for a battery to fail with no warning? The car has stop-start so I am wondering if it is a safety feature for the car to 'switch off' if the battery is too weak, but without warning is what I don't understand.

I will have the battery on a charger for all of today and see how it responds but it looks like I need a new battery at close to £200 Is it a simple changeover or is there a specific procedure for such a complex car?

Cheers all, Simon
Old 26th September 2016, 10:20 AM

Hi mate.

I've never had a battery die like that, but I've heard that is how they tend to go. Years of faithful service with gradual degradation and then boom. Gone. It's why I've tended to replace mine preventatively. With the AGM batteries of whatever they tend to be pricier. Have you looked at ECP, and tried some discount codes?

Can't speak of the D4, but on the D3 you have to code the battery in (or is at least strongly recommended) using VCDS. It's because these cars have battery regulation module doo-dahs (I believe is the correct term) which need to be told the new battery has been fitted. You'd think being so clever it would 'know'.

Hope you get it sorted pronto

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 26th September 2016, 12:16 PM

Hi John,

Who is ECP? I have asked the club shop for a price on a battery and have found a few options online, will wait and see what the shop comes back with first.

I measured the voltage across the battery, 2.5v Guess it must have suffered multiple cell failure. Getting access to the battery is going to be fun, I would be lying if I said I knew where it is even located !!

Car is due a service shortly so I guess I can replace the battery and have the coded then.
Old 26th September 2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondie View Post
Hi John,

Who is ECP?.
Euro Car Parts - http://www.eurocarparts.com/

If you also go to https://www.myvouchercodes.co.uk/ and type in 'Euro Car Parts', it'll display a list of discount coupons, some up to 55% discount.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 26th September 2016, 01:42 PM

^What they said. Sorry. SALE30 gets you 30% discount today, don't know if they'll be cheaper than you've already found.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 26th September 2016, 03:09 PM

Thanks guys, very helpful

Found the battery - it's in the boot which I am sure most of you already knew. Looks easy enough to change out. Car is fitted with a Varta battery so probably original to the car making it about 5.5 yrs old. The battery has no real detail on its CCA rating so I will have to trust what EPC recommends I guess.

Cheers

Last edited by mondie; 26th September 2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 28th September 2016, 10:32 PM

The new battery arrived today from Tanya, £99 delivered. This one:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/610-200-Vart...92--P3200.html

Fitted it up no problem, case was identical size/shape to the OEM and ratings all within a few percent too. Car started and runs normally, all electrics work normally too, its as though nothing ever happened. So far so good

Thanks for all the advice on this thread.