A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 19th January 2020, 05:04 PM
Banned

Default Shock absorber colours and springs for D2 2.8QS

Hi does anyone know the difference between different colours of shock absorbers and different springs? for example my QS has red shock absorbers but there's also green, grey, pink etc? same goes for springs there is 10's of choices.

I'm looking to put standard 2.8QS springs and sandard shock absorbers as currents one all leak and springs are rusty and I preffer comfort to sporty ride, plus the springs are non standard and to put the car on a lift my mechanic had to adjust the round supports all the way down and it still just about went under the jacking points... It's way too low.

I can see lots of different pard codes in vag catalog just can't narrow it down, can anyone help me with some part numbers?
Old 19th January 2020, 05:24 PM

Sports dampers are red, comfort are black. Thats it from the factory - any other colours are aftermarket.

Springs, yes there are loads of variants all dependent on model and specification. You can't buy them from Audi any more unfortunately, although Tradition may have them in which case Prestige may be able to aqcuire them. To get the exact springs you need to know either the colour code from them, if the paint marks are still visible, or they can be looked up by VIN.

Sachs do make replacement springs for the comfort models, but those will lift a sport by quite a bit. Have a look at my General Vod thread for a comfort model ride height.

A reasonable compromise is the Eibach Pro-kit. These lower a comfort model by 25-30mm so end up about the same as a stock sport model. Mark (Moltuae) is running a set and seems happy with them. I think they do a set for the 2.8.

I'm not sure what's about in terms of stock-ish sport dampers. I tend to put Bilstein B6 on by choice, but they're a bit spendy.
Old 19th January 2020, 06:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Sports dampers are red, comfort are black. Thats it from the factory - any other colours are aftermarket.

Springs, yes there are loads of variants all dependent on model and specification. You can't buy them from Audi any more unfortunately, although Tradition may have them in which case Prestige may be able to aqcuire them. To get the exact springs you need to know either the colour code from them, if the paint marks are still visible, or they can be looked up by VIN.

Sachs do make replacement springs for the comfort models, but those will lift a sport by quite a bit. Have a look at my General Vod thread for a comfort model ride height.

A reasonable compromise is the Eibach Pro-kit. These lower a comfort model by 25-30mm so end up about the same as a stock sport model. Mark (Moltuae) is running a set and seems happy with them. I think they do a set for the 2.8.

I'm not sure what's about in terms of stock-ish sport dampers. I tend to put Bilstein B6 on by choice, but they're a bit spendy.
OK so there's only 2 variants for shock absorbers pink & black but do they vary between different engine sizes and quattro and non quattro?

I did have a look at General Vod and it looks just about right, I really don't mind the look of raised reight height I just don't want to be scraping front bumper every time i go over a speed bump or into an NCP car park and want the stock comfy springs, I daily drive a Passat GTE and its ride too hard for me even on the comfort suspension setting
Old 19th January 2020, 08:37 PM

Yeah there are a bunch of variations in the dampers as well. I just realised what you meant by the colours earlier - they are basically red or black, but they have a coloured mark to denote the part number, exactly the same as the springs do.

There seem to be a few options on ebay for dampers as well as springs, all of which I suspect will be comfort versions. TRW, Meyle, KYB. Take your pick