A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 9th January 2020, 08:41 PM

Default OEM Pads/Discs vs Brembo?

Hey chaps. Apologies in advance. I had the old lady in for a good look over and i've a few jobs to get done. I wanted to ask for some advice on a few topics (which I'll put into the appropriate threads).....

First one is I need new brake pads and discs.

The Audi OEM part numbers for the discs are:
Discs:4e0615301p front £149.00 x2
Discs: 4e0615601d £88.00 x2 rear

I have seen OEM parts on Fleabay for £199 for a pair of fronts. THis looks good value.

My question is, should I go with the OEM ones or some of theother brands of drilled discs such as Zimmerman etc?

Is there a discernable difference? If you were buying the car which would you prefer? To see all OEM parts?

Finally, what kind of labour should I be looking at, rough estimate to change front and back. And presumably a brake fluid change or top up also...

Oh, btw i've a D3 3.2 FSi Petrol

Many thanks....
Old 10th January 2020, 12:09 AM

I bought the Zimmerman from autodoc and TSW pads. Couldn’t fault them to be honest. 2 year warranty too

SOLD. Audi A8L 4.2TDI Silver 2006

Seat Ibiza 1.4tdi Eco 2008 Silver (£0 Tax)sold

NO VCDS rely on Neeldub
Old 10th January 2020, 09:26 AM

Textar and Mintex are good (same company - TMD friction). They come painted so they don't go rusty which is nice. TMD make a lot of OEM stuff, as do Brembo so you can't go wrong with any of these tbh. There is no point paying extra for genuine Audi parts since they will likely have been made by TMD or Brembo anyway.

MTec are good if you want drilled, grooved, etc. Personally I wouldn't put drilled discs on an 8 as they can be quite noisy but grooved is usually ok. Plus, drilled discs can crack around the holes.

I'd expect a day's labour to do all four corners plus a fluid change.

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 11th January 2020 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Remove Pagid based on new info
Old 10th January 2020, 03:47 PM
Banned

I've been using ATE for ages their finish tends to last for years, downside is they are one of the priciest brands around.
Old 11th January 2020, 09:45 AM

I have never used Brembo but I have plenty of experience with other aftermarket brands and OEM .

In essence regular brake discs are pretty simple and made of relatively cheap cast iron but real life use results vary a lot.

I have used plenty of cheap discs, none of them have shuttered or caused a catastrophic failure and braking efficiency does not seem to suffer but they do seem to wear a lot faster and really when you need to change pads you also need to change discs as well while OEM can do 2-3 sets of pads on the same disc, but then again some of those cheap discs have been as low as £12 so economically speaking it does not make difference. Most of the cheap discs does not have any coating while others including OEM have some coating. Zimmermann Z-coat is highly rated but in my experience they were no better than OEM or ATE, about 2 years before they are all rusted up. To my surprise Febi fared much better, 2 years and no sign of corrosion.

The biggest difference I have noticed is if you leave car without driving outside for 1 month+. The cheap discs corrode a lot more, eat up outside of pads and basically become unusable pretty soon. OEM discs on the other hand can easily take 3 months of no use with just a little bit of surface rust which cleans up nicely as you drive again and does not cause any issues.

To sum it up I would say that if you do little mileage and leave car unused for 2+ weeks go with OEM, they will last forever. if it's a daily driver some of the cheap discs are cheap enough to change them every time you change pads without compromising safety or braking efficiency and the money you saved would be better invested in good tyres.

Just another note. Pagid was decent quality brand a while ago but from what I understand EuroCarParts have bought the rights to use that brand name in UK but actual parts can be made by any Tom, Dick or Harry so quality will vary and in most of times parts will be provided by lowest bidder and quality may suffer.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 11th January 2020 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11th January 2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Just another note. Pagid was decent quality brand a while ago but from what I understand EuroCarParts have bought the rights to use that brand name in UK but actual parts can be made by any Tom, Dick or Harry so quality will vary and in most of times parts will be provided by lowest bidder and quality may suffer.
Cross those off my list then. I had heard rumours about something going on in that regard, and my last set of Pagids have been very poor indeed but I put that down to duff Brembo calipers on the S8. Handy to know the reason for it now.

The last car I did got proper TMD Mintex and those worked out quite nicely.
Old 11th January 2020, 11:48 AM

Smile

I have had some very bad experience with Pagid breaking up which i've put it in a thread somewhere). Brembo are excellent pads and I was lucky enough to get a full set front and back for £47 from ECP when they were doing an 50% offer in Oct 2018.
Old 11th January 2020, 11:51 AM

I had some non-OEM pads a few years ago where one complete lump of pad material came off; I found it on my drive.
This is the front pads on a D2 S8 which have two lumps in each pad, so they still worked reasonably well…..
The set were replaced quickly with (rather expensive) genuine Audi ones.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 11th January 2020, 06:15 PM

I've just put 380mm mtec front discs with a c scroll pattern on the D4 4.0T bought direct from mtec for £220 the pair in their new year sale which was a bargain, and the pads were Brembo from euro car parts in their 50% off sale. Both working superbly I'm pleased to report. Will do the same again to the rears when I've gathered parts in the next sales and they need doing!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 14th January 2020 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11th January 2020, 07:24 PM

I've just changed (november) my front discs and pads with Brembo from Euro car parts 50% off. About £225 for parts from memory. No complaints. My brother changed them for me and they took an hour to change (£60 labour) but no fluid change.