A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 9th October 2014, 03:45 AM

Default Retro fitting D2 to D3 steering wheel.

Is it possible to change a D2 steering wheel with Tip buttons for the D3 steering wheel with paddles? I'm not a great fan of the Tip buttons as it is easy to change gear inadvertently when you don't want to. Also, you can change up and down using both buttons which I find to be awkward and unnecessary. If retro fitting is not possible is it possible to change the tip buttons so I can have one button for up shift and the other for down?

Thanks

Steve
2001 D2 S8. Volcano black. KW Variant 1 coilovers. EBC Turbo grooved discs with Yellow Stuff pads. 19 inch R8 replica wheels with 255/35/19 Michelin Super Sport. In the UK, 1990 Audi 90 2.3 20v Quattro with just 65,000 on the clock and in mint condition.
Old 9th October 2014, 06:55 AM

The steering wheel might physically fit but the main thing you will have issues with is the air bags.
D2 is single stage I believe and D3 is duel stage or twin stage. The D3 has extra cables going to the air bag. Some has wired up a single stage out of the two and got no errors but no idea if the airbag will detonate.

I'm not sure on the wiring of the D3.

You could remove a switch from each of the buttons or a cable.
So left is down and right is up or which way you prefer.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 13th October 2014, 03:34 AM

I thought this might be the case. I'll take the wheel off and have at look at the buttons and see what I can do. Ta.
2001 D2 S8. Volcano black. KW Variant 1 coilovers. EBC Turbo grooved discs with Yellow Stuff pads. 19 inch R8 replica wheels with 255/35/19 Michelin Super Sport. In the UK, 1990 Audi 90 2.3 20v Quattro with just 65,000 on the clock and in mint condition.
Old 13th October 2014, 08:40 AM

I have a theory.

If you can swap over the gas generators over from a single to a twin detonator you'll be laughing.
On the single stage air bags its only 4 bolts holding it in.
If the size of the hole and bolt spacing is the same its a pretty easy swap.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.

Last edited by ScottD3; 13th October 2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 13th October 2014, 11:39 AM

While I really hope I will never have to experience airbag blowing up in my face I really would not want to mess with airbags at that level. Volume of airbag and holes for air evacuation might be different causing it to under or over inflate and then deflate in wrong rate if different gas generator and bag is combined.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure