A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Everything Else

D4 - Everything Else Holding forum for all D4 banter until membership grows and we'll expand out

Old 30th October 2014, 06:40 PM

To program the car the OBD port needs to be live, not sure on the situation on the A8 and these "Dealer tools" but VCDS does not work unless the ignition is switched on, and you cannot switch the ignition on unless a valid key is within the car.

One possible solution maybe to move the OBD port to somewhere else and place a dummy one that does nothing in the usual location, or even rig up a switch to disconnect the Can H and Can L from the port.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 30th October 2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
To program the car the OBD port needs to be live, not sure on the situation on the A8 and these "Dealer tools" but VCDS does not work unless the ignition is switched on, and you cannot switch the ignition on unless a valid key is within the car.

One possible solution maybe to move the OBD port to somewhere else and place a dummy one that does nothing in the usual location, or even rig up a switch to disconnect the Can H and Can L from the port.
Thats exactly what I will be doing, and not right at the back of the plug either but somewhere more difficult to access.

As for the keys they are more than welcome to come up stairs looking for them, just hope they have a good dentist coz once they have had the bat across their boat race they will need it.

Old 30th October 2014, 07:58 PM

The ignition needs to be on for VCDS to work, but the port is always live unless you chop the wiring. There's 2 options to make life harder - make the OBD port harder to access either by moving it, covering it, or chopping a wire and putting a switch inline that's hidden somewhere that can't be accessed through a broken window (behind a fuse panel cover for instance). The other option is adding physical security like we all had 20 years ago.

The problem with access to the OBD port is you don't actually need to get to the port to get to the canbus - you can do it elsewhere on the vehicle. On BMWs I gather a hole in the door is a common approach. I would imagine through the arch liner is also an option.

This tool is a physical deterrent that will put off those that only know how to use the port to code a key:

http://shop.okcomputers.de/obd-saver...skoda-seat?c=7

Someone on the A5OC site has fitted a switch but the photos are tricky to see which wires he's cut. The switch sits in the fuse panel on the end of the dash, which means you need to be able to get the deadlocked door open before you can have a go at bypassing the key switch. Ought to be enough to put off the casual thief with the low level kit.

Personally I think the security has been compromised by manufacturers in the name of convenience. They quote RMI as the 'problem' which is a European requirement for industry to make routine maintenance information available to all garages, but nowhere in that does it say you need to be able to grab 2 parts of the crypto keys from different modules in order to be able to completely bypass the vehicle's security (that's apparently the issue with BMWs and I don't know if it's shared with Audis). There's no need for the port to be powered all the time.

I was looking around online today as part of my job to see what's out there - found a bloke based in Lebanon who will flog you 2 briefcases of gear that'll overcome keyless entry systems and code you a key, all for a few thousand Euros! Given the market for stuff like FFRR to be exported to the far east for double their new price there's rich pickings to be had for those prepared to take the risks.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 31st October 2014, 12:35 AM
Banned

I sleep with my keys in my bed side draw, a bear trap on the landing , M4 carbine 5.56 nato at my bed side , and tazer and industrial cable ties In the draw....

oh and this

Trunk Monkey 2: http://youtu.be/xGPVD2Fdh0k

It will be a long 48 hours they remember for the rest of there lives .... They will soon buy a push bike and forget about the word car (evil Vincent price laugh )
Old 7th November 2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Not being a dog owner i am mystified (and appalled by the images conjured up by my imagination ) as to how a vacuum cleaner can assist!!
My dog will go for the Hoover everytime ... Hates them...