A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 27th October 2014, 02:24 PM

Default Rear 12V point

Folks - during this weekend, the rear 12V socket (cigarette lighter) stopped working. I assumed that I'd somehow managed to blow the fuse, so I swapped it with the front one and have confirmed the fuse to be fine. So, what else is it likely to be? I'll have a look at it over next weekend, but if there are any suggestions where to start it'd be appreciated.

On a side note, that may or may not be connected, the rear courtesy lights have started flashing on and off a little when they're supposed to be on. A little knock on the assembly brings it back briefly, but i obviously have a dodgy connection up there.

Cheers
Old 27th October 2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Peach View Post
On a side note, that may or may not be connected, the rear courtesy lights have started flashing on and off a little when they're supposed to be on. A little knock on the assembly brings it back briefly, but i obviously have a dodgy connection up there.
Mine do that, though I think it's connected to the LED bulbs I put in.
Weird thing is, if I pop the unit out of the roof it seems to work perfectly, it often goes off as you push it back in.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 27th October 2014, 03:24 PM

If you de-activate the rear windows that also stops the lighter socket working, check the switch has not been pressed in error

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 27th October 2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
If you de-activate the rear windows that also stops the lighter socket working, check the switch has not been pressed in error
Strange - I'm pretty sure the rear windows are always de-activated (I have small kids that like to press buttons), but the rear socket has always worked in the past. I will check that out though, thanks.
Old 27th October 2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Mine do that, though I think it's connected to the LED bulbs I put in.
Weird thing is, if I pop the unit out of the roof it seems to work perfectly, it often goes off as you push it back in.
I also have the LED's in, so maybe I have the same gremlins as you Andrew! I'll have a play with that at the weekend.
Old 27th October 2014, 04:04 PM

I've played and played, even swapped the whole light unit, but found nothing consistent that relates to anything logical!

I think there must be some "clever" electronics controlling the relationship between the front and rear courtesy lights and the LED's throw them out of kilter.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 4th July 2016, 03:54 AM

Default Resurrection of old thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Peach View Post
Folks - during this weekend, the rear 12V socket (cigarette lighter) stopped working. I assumed that I'd somehow managed to blow the fuse, so I swapped it with the front one and have confirmed the fuse to be fine. So, what else is it likely to be? I'll have a look at it over next weekend, but if there are any suggestions where to start it'd be appreciated.

Cheers
Hello Professor Peach.

My A8L seems to have succumbed to the same problem. I'm aware of the rear electrics being cut when you press the driver's door switch to stop kiddies playing with the rear windows etc. but that's not the problem. I've checked the 15amp fuse in the driver's footwell, and that's ok. It's the 5th one along I think in the bottom brown fuse section.

Did you get anywhere with your issue as this one has foxed me?

Cheers,
John G
Old 4th July 2016, 01:07 PM

To be honest John, I'd completely forgotten all about this issue (as I've not had a need to use the rear power point recently). I do have the rear windows disabled, so there's every chance it's just turned off (I was not aware of this before this thread). I'll check tonight, but to answer your question, sadly no, I'd didn't get to the bottom of this!

Rob

2016 S3 Sportback
Old 4th July 2016, 08:37 PM

Default Thanks very much

I feel that the on-coming train is set to disappoint me lol.

It's a weird one. Fuse has been checked. It simply stopped working for some inexplicable reason. I will pencil in a multimeter diagnosis session at the weekend to see if I can figure out what the problem is. If I manage to get anywhere with this issue, I'll report back.

Cheers,
John G