A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 15th November 2016, 01:09 PM

Default Brake Pads/Discs - The Perils of Ebay

I need some replacement front pads/discs and so have been trawling the internet looking for Brembo parts. I had found an Ebay supplier (in UK), lets call them company "x", who advertised a Brembo kit of front pads and drilled and grooved discs for £225. It seemed a good price. Next I had a long chat with company "a" who can provide the pads but said he had no discs and they weren't on his system and that maybe they were not easily available. I said that there some on Ebay advertised by a different company as a kit. He asked if the name of the provider was Company "x". He told me that they (company "a") supply Company "x" with the pads but that the discs were drilled and grooved in house by "x" - a practice "a" did not agree with and even then he could not be sure that the discs were Brembo to start with even if the pads are kosher.
I now await a quote for cost and supply date from "a". They order regularly from Brembo in Italy and although it may take a week or two for the next shipment it may be worth it to get the right stuff.
I have been a bit careful over the company names as it may put some people in a difficult position. But if anyone wants to know the names I am happy to pm - or if its considered ok to put it in the open then I can do so. Just want to make sure nobody gets ripped off.
Old 17th November 2016, 08:01 PM

I don't see a problem with company x doing the machining on stock discs supplied by company a. Someone has to machine them! MTec work like that too I believe - they buy in plain discs from someone and machine them in-house. Not had a problem with any of their stuff.

Brembo stuff is usually pretty easy to identify since 'Brembo' is normally cast or machined in to them somewhere.

On the subject of brakes, I've been talking to Mintex today about some better pads for my D2 since the standard road spec pads are rubbish. They do an M1144 'fast road' pad in the correct shape for the Brembos, since they're the same pads as a bunch of Porsches and the Audi RS2, but they're missing the pad wear sensor. No biggie - I can wire that out, however the pads are not type-approved for the D2 and so they can't sell me them!
Old 18th November 2016, 10:34 AM

With regard to machining discs dont they have to heat treat them after drilling/machining? or is that not a problem at that stage?

I've just got Brembo pads from Next Day Brakes but they cannot source the discs - and I cant find anyone who can. They appear to be out of stock at Brembo in Italy at the mo'. I can get Ferodo ones though so will probably go with those.
Old 18th November 2016, 11:07 AM

That had never even occurred to me tbh. I drilled a set myself once, and didn't heat treat those
Old 18th November 2016, 11:21 AM

Well MJ you're still here so it was probably OK then