A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 21st February 2022, 06:17 AM

The 2.7TT C5 is actually one of the closest gearboxes to the factory S8 manual, along with the B5 S4, so if you can find one of those that's perfect. You'd get a nice spread of ratios with a slightly higher cruising rpm than you have now. The C5 diff works in the D2 as well.

2.8 afaik was only 5 speed. The 3.0 does appear to have come with the 01E, but I've never seen one so may be a Euro market thing again. No idea what the ratios on that would be like.

The reason to use the TDI stuff is that its slightly stronger and used to be very cheap. The high 6th looked like a good thing until I drove it and realised it wasn't.
Old 21st February 2022, 07:41 AM

Ow that’s nice those are not to uncommon I actually found a c5 s6 box that should work right? Also found a cheap ish rs6 auto diff and that is listed as 37:9 which i think is a 4.111 diff right? I know the guy with rs6 engine in his s8 here in Sweden is using tdi box with rs6 diff
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
The 2.7TT C5 is actually one of the closest gearboxes to the factory S8 manual, along with the B5 S4, so if you can find one of those that's perfect. You'd get a nice spread of ratios with a slightly higher cruising rpm than you have now. The C5 diff works in the D2 as well.

2.8 afaik was only 5 speed. The 3.0 does appear to have come with the 01E, but I've never seen one so may be a Euro market thing again. No idea what the ratios on that would be like.

The reason to use the TDI stuff is that its slightly stronger and used to be very cheap. The high 6th looked like a good thing until I drove it and realised it wasn't.
D2 A8L 4.2 AQF 4.2 LZ9W Ebony Black Pearl Fully electric rear seats 20x9.5 OEM peelers D3 s8 front brakes s8 mirror housings 18x8 Avus 3 winter wheels PDC rear blinds Nav Electric steering wheel adjustment rs6 MFSW heated with shift buttons TPMS Leather pack 1 with retrofitted stitched leather lower dash panels folding auto dimming mirrors solar sunroof cold weather package CD changer 2x12 subwoofers double glazing all around memory seats passenger seat adjustment from rear seat Bose servotronic xenon plus headlights

C5 Allroad 4.2 BAS 4.2 LZ6G Irish Green Metallic Bose RNS-E Rear Blinds folding auto dimming mirrors Heated MFSW with shift buttons PDC Recaros heated seats all around CD changer Nav

B5 A4 STCC Edition AJL 1.8T Quattro Built engine GT28RS maxxecu Remote locking Trip computer Sport seats Eibach/Bilstein suspension Flexfuel

C5 A6 1.8T Quattro AWT 1.8T Reliable, unlike the others

Previous Audis B7 S4 Avant B5 A4 Avant 1.8T B8 A5 SB 3.0tdi C5 A6 1.8T C5 Allroad 2.5 TDI
Old 21st February 2022, 08:14 AM

C5 S6 manual? Thats an incredibly rare thing of myth and legend! The ratios on that are nigh identical to the S8 manual so that would work. The only thing special about the RS6 diff is the heatsink on the bottom which isn't needed for normal applications, but if its cheap there's no reason not to use it.
Old 21st February 2022, 08:33 AM

Thank you so much for all the info you’re great I feel like I have a grip on the engines but the gearboxes are a bit of a mystery.
Quote:
C5 S6 manual? Thats an incredibly rare thing of myth and legend! The ratios on that are nigh identical to the S8 manual so that would work. The only thing special about the RS6 diff is the heatsink on the bottom which isn't needed for normal applications, but if its cheap there's no reason not to use it.
D2 A8L 4.2 AQF 4.2 LZ9W Ebony Black Pearl Fully electric rear seats 20x9.5 OEM peelers D3 s8 front brakes s8 mirror housings 18x8 Avus 3 winter wheels PDC rear blinds Nav Electric steering wheel adjustment rs6 MFSW heated with shift buttons TPMS Leather pack 1 with retrofitted stitched leather lower dash panels folding auto dimming mirrors solar sunroof cold weather package CD changer 2x12 subwoofers double glazing all around memory seats passenger seat adjustment from rear seat Bose servotronic xenon plus headlights

C5 Allroad 4.2 BAS 4.2 LZ6G Irish Green Metallic Bose RNS-E Rear Blinds folding auto dimming mirrors Heated MFSW with shift buttons PDC Recaros heated seats all around CD changer Nav

B5 A4 STCC Edition AJL 1.8T Quattro Built engine GT28RS maxxecu Remote locking Trip computer Sport seats Eibach/Bilstein suspension Flexfuel

Previous Audis B7 S4 Avant B5 A4 Avant 1.8T B8 A5 SB 3.0tdi C5 A6 1.8T C5 Allroad 2.5 TDI
Old 21st February 2022, 07:40 PM

Hey sorry for all the questions but a standard a8 40v with the s8 intake manifold, TB, injectors, and MAF would that work well with the s8 map? Afaik the s8 also has different cams and exhaust manifolds would those not be needed to make the s8 map work? Been reading up on the whole manual ecu tune thing and using the s8 parts and tune is starting to sound like the simpler option. Another thing is a manual swapped car is not actually supposed to be able to pass Swedish MOT so I may actually end up being forced to do a engine swap as well to register the car as a “modified vehicle” but if that is the case I will be building myself an d2 S8L altho finding a 40v s8 engine for a price less than I bought the car for doesn’t look to easy.
Quote:
Are you sure its a 6-speed? According to the data and my experience the B5 1.9 TDI is a 5-speed 01A. The 01E only came with the 2.5TDI in the B5. It wasn't paired with a 1.9 until the C5 and B6 with the PD130. Also the B5 diff is different to the D2. The ideal donor is the A6 C5 2.5TDI, or possibly a B6 1.9TDI although they have odd output flanges.

I've done a swap in an S8 with a TDI 01E and its ok, not great. 6th is just a bit too high, meaning it does about 1600rpm on the motorway and while that is great for fuel consumption, having to change down to accelerate gets tedious.

You would have to have your propshaft extended since there is no LWB manual from the factory. In theory you could bolt the front of a manual shaft on to the back of a LWB shaft, but manual shafts are extremely rare. Easier to extend it if you can find someone capable of doing it.

S4 stuff does work, but you'll need the spacer between engine and gearbox which will also impact the propshaft. TTV Racing in the UK make a flywheel to take a B5 RS4 clutch which doesn't need the spacer - that's what I've used in the past, and the RS4 clutch is quite cheap. Get the heavy flywheel if you go this route.

The only other thing to bear in mind is that you'll need an S8 manual map in the ECU since there is no manual map for the A8 4.2. This means also swapping to the S8 inlet manifold and throttle body, injectors, and airflow meter so the ECU knows what is going on.

Old 21st February 2022, 08:02 PM

The cams aren't needed, or the exhaust manifold. Its just the electronic parts so that the S8 ECU program works properly. It will adapt to the reduced air demands of the A8 engine by putting in proportionally less fuel. I'm guessing you're in touch with Mario to get the clutch pedal, driveshafts etc? He's the one who came up with this recipe for making a manual A8 so he may be able to tell you a bit more about it.

I didn't know Jeremy had a manual A8L - have you asked about his tune?

A friend is doing an S8 swap in to an L so that he can have manual, rather than going Mario's route so there are a few options.
Old 21st February 2022, 08:15 PM

Aha that makes sense about the cams ow yeah I will check with Jeremy since he just mentions sending the ecu out to be tuned not by who maybe whoever did it can inform me the guy selling the swap kit is called žymantas Juškevičius so I don’t think he is mario. But the s8 engine with s8 tune should be plug and play right? Does your friend have a build thread one could follow for guidance?
Quote:
The cams aren't needed, or the exhaust manifold. Its just the electronic parts so that the S8 ECU program works properly. It will adapt to the reduced air demands of the A8 engine by putting in proportionally less fuel. I'm guessing you're in touch with Mario to get the clutch pedal, driveshafts etc? He's the one who came up with this recipe for making a manual A8 so he may be able to tell you a bit more about it.

I didn't know Jeremy had a manual A8L - have you asked about his tune?

A friend is doing an S8 swap in to an L so that he can have manual, rather than going Mario's route so there are a few options.

Old 21st February 2022, 08:28 PM

Ah right. Buyer beware - that guy is apparently difficult to deal with. He's had that manual stuff for many many months and can't shift it.

Look up Mario Raikovic on FB - he's well known for supplying manual swap things, and it is he who has done the S8 electronics on an A8.

An S8 engine swap would, in theory, be relatively straightforward. If you loaded the S8 manual file on to your existing ECU then you wouldn't even need to recode the immobiliser. An S8 cluster would be nice too of course so you get the 7000rpm redline but you're in to ecu, keys etc then. Depends how far you want to go really. There is an S8L in the UK which apparently had an S8 factory-fitted. Probably one of one.