A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 15th May 2022, 12:07 AM

Default condition of my engine bay

This is what my air filter box looks like. Both screws are rusty. It's also missing a nut as you can see in the upper right corner of the air filter box.

Is this bracket near the washer fluid cap damaged? Also what is this for?

This relay is for the electric fan that was installed before I purchased this car. I would like to remove this and install it somewhere else. Any suggestion for the best place to mount this?

This is a picture of the electric fan that was installed.

What is the part number for these headlight screw covers? I need to buy one.

These are missing nuts and what is the right one for?

Which washer pump is for the headlights?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air box.jpg
Views:	1189
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	28428   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine bay.jpg
Views:	1177
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	28429   Click image for larger version

Name:	fan.jpg
Views:	1182
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	28430   Click image for larger version

Name:	headlight screw covers.jpg
Views:	1186
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	28431   Click image for larger version

Name:	missing nut.jpg
Views:	1183
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	28432   Click image for larger version

Name:	washer pumps.jpg
Views:	1184
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	28433   Click image for larger version

Name:	relay.jpg
Views:	1547
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	28434  

My mods: Oxblood red interior, LED interior lights, D3 ignition coils, new window tint, tip steering wheel with new S8 emblem, mk1 TT steering wheel air bag, mk1 TT 6 speed shift knob, new shift boot.
Old 15th May 2022, 08:37 AM

Some heinous bodging has been going on there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan View Post
This is what my air filter box looks like. Both screws are rusty. It's also missing a nut as you can see in the upper right corner of the air filter box.
Fairly normal these days. You can buy square nuts which fit in to the slots in the airbox (can't remember if M5 or M6), and if you look at motorcycle suppliers you can often find black anodised bolts which, while having different heads, at least look nice in the engine bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan
Is this bracket near the washer fluid cap damaged? Also what is this for?
There should be a plastic trim panel which fills in that area - 4D0806584D01C. The stump in the bracket is the remains of one of the screws which hold it in place (M6x45). It is pretty standard for it to rust in to the rivnut under the bracket and then people tend to drill it off (or destroy the cover) when they have to get to the air filter.

I've shown repairing this in some of the WITW threads although I can't remember which ones. Basically grind it flat, drill it out, drill out the rivnut and replace it with a new one. Sometimes the rivnut is recoverable by grabbing the stump with vice grips, winding the stump of the screw down, cutting off the rusty stump underneath, and then winding it out again. A little heat on the rivnut can help, although obviously be aware of all the flammable and melty things in that area.

Quote:
This relay is for the electric fan that was installed before I purchased this car. I would like to remove this and install it somewhere else. Any suggestion for the best place to mount this?
I put the relay in the car and just run power wires to the fan down the left hand side with all the original fan wiring, but given that yours is already installed, there's plenty of room underneath the air filter box to mount that, and a convenient bracket which holds the corner of the car together.

Quote:
This is a picture of the electric fan that was installed.
Looks similar to the Spal that I use although a different mounting arrangement

Quote:
What is the part number for these headlight screw covers? I need to buy one.
44188136701C

Quote:
These are missing nuts and what is the right one for?
The right one doesn't do anything in a V8. Its for one of the other models

Quote:
Which washer pump is for the headlights?
The white one
Old 15th May 2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Some heinous bodging has been going on there
I know. Eventually I want to take care of the items that needs attention.

Quote:
Fairly normal these days. You can buy square nuts which fit in to the slots in the airbox (can't remember if M5 or M6), and if you look at motorcycle suppliers you can often find black anodised bolts which, while having different heads, at least look nice in the engine bay.
I will take care of this later down the road.

Quote:
There should be a plastic trim panel which fills in that area - 4D0806584D01C. The stump in the bracket is the remains of one of the screws which hold it in place (M6x45). It is pretty standard for it to rust in to the rivnut under the bracket and then people tend to drill it off (or destroy the cover) when they have to get to the air filter.
I do have the trim panels.

Quote:
I've shown repairing this in some of the WITW threads although I can't remember which ones. Basically grind it flat, drill it out, drill out the rivnut and replace it with a new one. Sometimes the rivnut is recoverable by grabbing the stump with vice grips, winding the stump of the screw down, cutting off the rusty stump underneath, and then winding it out again. A little heat on the rivnut can help, although obviously be aware of all the flammable and melty things in that area.
I'll take a look through some of your WITW threads when I get time to.

Quote:
I put the relay in the car and just run power wires to the fan down the left hand side with all the original fan wiring, but given that yours is already installed, there's plenty of room underneath the air filter box to mount that, and a convenient bracket which holds the corner of the car together.
I will mount this somewhere else to give it a cleaner look.

Quote:
Looks similar to the Spal that I use although a different mounting arrangement
The electric fan that was installed is a Spal fan.

Quote:
44188136701C
Thanks.

Quote:
The right one doesn't do anything in a V8. Its for one of the other models
Ah, ok. I'll leave the right one alone.

Quote:
The white one
Thanks.

My mods: Oxblood red interior, LED interior lights, D3 ignition coils, new window tint, tip steering wheel with new S8 emblem, mk1 TT steering wheel air bag, mk1 TT 6 speed shift knob, new shift boot.

Last edited by Audifan; 15th May 2022 at 03:25 PM.
Old 15th May 2022, 03:24 PM

This panel cover has seen better days as all the screw holes are damaged.

This panel cover is in better shape then the one above.

Close up of the only damage on it.

Damage to this cover.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cover 1.jpg
Views:	1100
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	28436   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover 2.jpg
Views:	1104
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	28437   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover 3.jpg
Views:	1088
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	28438   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover 4.jpg
Views:	1112
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	28444   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover 5.jpg
Views:	1097
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	28445  

Last edited by Audifan; 15th May 2022 at 06:03 PM.
Old 15th May 2022, 10:15 PM

I took out my air filter box to check things over.

It looks like the washer fluid bottle is missing a mounting screw.

These mounting nuts at the bottom of the air filter box is rusty. Good news the nuts came off without anything breaking.

What is this inside my air filter box and what is it for?

This wire is for the electric fan that was installed.

Apparently there is two relays for this fan?

This is the switch for the electric fan to manually turn on or off the fan. I originally forgot to ask about this electric fan where is doesn't turn on automatically when the engine gets hot. Can this fan be setup to turn on/off automatically like the OEM fan that it replaced?

This green wire is for the fan switch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	air box frame.jpg
Views:	1103
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	28462   Click image for larger version

Name:	bottom of air box.jpg
Views:	1111
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	28463   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside air box.jpg
Views:	1100
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	28464   Click image for larger version

Name:	fan relay.jpg
Views:	1097
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	28465   Click image for larger version

Name:	fan switch wire.jpg
Views:	1108
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	28466   Click image for larger version

Name:	fan switch.jpg
Views:	1102
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	28467   Click image for larger version

Name:	fan wire.jpg
Views:	1106
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	28468  

Old 15th May 2022, 10:28 PM

That's the SAI pump inside the air filter box. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_air_injection
MJ will no doubt be along soon to explain why you can probably get rid of it, though I think you're in the US so maybe have different constraints to us in the UK?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 16th May 2022, 10:07 PM

I removed my front bumper and found some interesting stuff going on.

What is this connector for?

Removed the black duct tape and see this connector is damaged.

Outside air temp sensor damaged.

Air duct for the alternator missing pin? According to this link there is a pin for this duct that connects to the bumper? I didn't see a pin nor was it connected to the bumper.

The trim pieces for the radiator are damaged and missing screws.

Wires just hanging about.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	connector 1.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	28480   Click image for larger version

Name:	connector 2.jpg
Views:	935
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	28481   Click image for larger version

Name:	connector 3.jpg
Views:	949
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	28482   Click image for larger version

Name:	temp sensor.jpg
Views:	952
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	28483   Click image for larger version

Name:	duct.jpg
Views:	944
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	28484   Click image for larger version

Name:	trim 1.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	28485   Click image for larger version

Name:	trim 2.jpg
Views:	946
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	28486   Click image for larger version

Name:	trim 3.jpg
Views:	955
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	28487   Click image for larger version

Name:	wires.jpg
Views:	935
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	28488  

Old 17th May 2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan View Post
I removed my front bumper and found some interesting stuff going on.

What is this connector for?
That's for the parking sensors. The part number is 6R0973735. You just need a set of terminal removal tools (cheap on eBay) and a bit of patience to replace. If doing so, make sure to take a note of where each wire goes.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 17th May 2022, 09:48 AM
Banned

you have an extra relay there and a heating resistor, lol what is it all this for? growing weed under the bonnet?
Old 17th May 2022, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
That's for the parking sensors. The part number is 6R0973735. You just need a set of terminal removal tools (cheap on eBay) and a bit of patience to replace. If doing so, make sure to take a note of where each wire goes.
Thanks for the info. I was wondering if it was for the front parking sensors or for the impact sensors for the air bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
you have an extra relay there and a heating resistor, lol what is it all this for? growing weed under the bonnet?
Heating resistor?