A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 17th July 2022, 07:08 PM

I ended up buying this valve spring compressor kit since the other two that I bought didn't work. The kit has arrived and I haven't used it as of yet.

I bought new valve stem seals and valve seal pliers.

I removed one valve seal and here is a close up picture of the old seal.

After removing the other two seals, here is a close up picture of the crud on top of the valve guides. What is the best way to clean this off?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valve seal pliers.jpg
Views:	1222
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	28759   Click image for larger version

Name:	new valve seals.jpg
Views:	1225
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	28760   Click image for larger version

Name:	one valve seal removed.jpg
Views:	1240
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	28761   Click image for larger version

Name:	old valve seal.jpg
Views:	1213
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	28762   Click image for larger version

Name:	dirty valve guide.jpg
Views:	1072
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	28763   Click image for larger version

Name:	new valve compressor kit.jpg
Views:	1228
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	28764  

My mods: Oxblood red interior, LED interior lights, D3 ignition coils, new window tint, tip steering wheel with new S8 emblem, mk1 TT steering wheel air bag, mk1 TT 6 speed shift knob, new shift boot.
Old 17th July 2022, 08:12 PM

Brass wire brush and carb cleaner. Make sure the bristles are actually brass and not plated steel.
Old 17th July 2022, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the info. Is this the best brush to use? Also forgot to ask, should I use oil when installing new valve seals?

My mods: Oxblood red interior, LED interior lights, D3 ignition coils, new window tint, tip steering wheel with new S8 emblem, mk1 TT steering wheel air bag, mk1 TT 6 speed shift knob, new shift boot.

Last edited by Audifan; 17th July 2022 at 09:07 PM.
Old 31st July 2022, 06:05 PM

Well this is disappointing. I quick did a pre-setup of this new spring compressor kit and I found out there will be no way that I'll be able to use it for the exhaust valves. As you can see in this picture below (I know I have it setup for the intake valves) there will be no room to use this kit for the exhaust valves because of the brake lines to the ABS unit. This is just frustrating! Now it looks like I'm going to have to remove the cylinder heads to do this job which I was trying to avoid.

MJ, do you have any tips on how to remove the cylinder heads with the engine still in the car? I really want to avoid pulling the engine out of the car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pre-setup.jpg
Views:	1085
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	28797  

Old 31st July 2022, 07:21 PM

My tip is to remove the engine.

Its really not worth the hassle of trying pull both heads in the car, especially since you don't actually [i]need[/] to pull the heads with this tool you have. Its pretty simple to lift the engine and box out of the front with a 6-speed, if you don't want to remove the subframe and drop it out of the bottom.
Old 2nd August 2022, 07:46 PM

Unfortunately that's not going to work for me as I don't have a engine stand and also don't have a engine crane.

I'm going to try and see if the new compressor kit will fit.

Old 5th August 2022, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audifan View Post
Unfortunately that's not going to work for me as I don't have a engine stand and also don't have a engine crane.

I'm going to try and see if the new compressor kit will fit.
Have you tried the Facebook groups? Some helpful chaps in the US
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 5th August 2022, 12:48 PM

How about renting them? Thats what I used to do until I had my own kit.
Old 20th August 2022, 09:12 PM

I could rent them but I really don't have garage space to pull out the engine and have the engine sitting on the engine stand near/away from the car.

These pictures I took show the compressor tool at only pre-setup.

This is the new compressor tool pre-setup for the exhaust valves and as you can see it rests against the upright tower.

As you can see in this picture the angle isn't enough for the tool.

This is the first compressor tool that I bought and it looks like it might work for the valves towards the front of the engine.

This picture shows the tool for the valves at the rear of the engine and it looks like it'll be very challenging to do the rear valves.

So I'm down with two options, either fight the challenge of doing this job with the tools that I have or remove the heads. This has been very slow going as I've been working a lot of overtime at my job and some weekends I'm just to exhausted to work on this car. The other issue that I have is a bad back, so there are times my back doesn't allow me to work on the car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pre-setup 2.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	28829   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-setup 3.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	28830   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-setup 4.jpg
Views:	809
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	28831   Click image for larger version

Name:	pre-setup 5.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	28832  

Old 21st August 2022, 04:41 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Whatever you do, don't give up. No guts, no glory!

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.