A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 23rd August 2015, 08:20 PM

Default Another Rear Caliper Seized /Bleeding ESP hydraulic pump

Well after all the work done recently (water pump/'stat, timing belt rollers, engine mount, output seal, exhaust) I went to drive to the airport and a shuddering seemed to indicate that the suspect rear offside caliper (I was having trouble with handbrake adjustment) had decided to clamp on. Turned around, went home, changed cars and made it to the airport. Having now returned I have removed the calipers to investigate. The piston in the offside one was hard to move in any direction using the appropriate tool or even pumping the brake pedal! After looking at the alternatives I decided to send both away for refurbishment with BiggRed.
I had been quoted £86 for a single remanufactured caliper by my local garage but BiggRed will completely refurbish both for £139 (£159 for electroplated or £189 for the premium powder coated). As I will re-fit them myself, I read up the Service Manual from the Tech dump on bleeding the system and there was the section on bleeding for vehicles with ESP. They use a VAG 1551 or 1552 to activate the ESP hydraulic pump. The question is - can I use VCDS do this?
Old 24th August 2015, 12:45 PM

Anybody?
Old 24th August 2015, 02:22 PM

Page 164 mate, says to select Basic settings, then group 002.

At that point you will most likely need to press the on/off/next button.

So go into module 3 ABS, then basic setting, select group 002,press the on/off/next button.

Pump should run for ten seconds, only do a max of three times then leave the unit to cool for a while.

Old 24th August 2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Page 164 mate, says to select Basic settings, then group 002.

At that point you will most likely need to press the on/off/next button.

So go into module 3 ABS, then basic setting, select group 002,press the on/off/next button.

Pump should run for ten seconds, only do a max of three times then leave the unit to cool for a while.
Thanks Del, I guess that was the question - whether VCDS had the same functionality as VAG 1551. Thanks for clearing that up. All i need now is my calipers back. (Just been told that it will be around 7 days)
Old 24th August 2015, 07:35 PM

I thought I read somewhere that performing basic setting on your ABS pump can fubar the unit, at least have a look for this online David before you do it

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 24th August 2015, 07:44 PM

Brake fluid change is one thing I would go to the dealer for, its not too bad £59 fixed price servicing. They have the special machine and can do it very quickly.
I replaced a rear caliper myself on the previous S8, but inevitably let some air into the system, and despite bleeding it, it still felt mushy. I didn't do the ABS pump bleed for fear of fubaring it as Neil points out. So I took it to the dealer and it felt fine afterwards.
Old 24th August 2015, 09:00 PM

Thanks Neil, Goran for the advice. I guess that I might just put the calipers back, perform a basic bleed, get the system to a roadworthy state and then take it to somewhere where this can be done. Also, to do the job myself I was going to get pressurised bleed kit which is around £25 anyway so if the price of £59 still stands then it would be better value.
Old 25th August 2015, 08:56 AM

I hope its still the same price. I made the mistake of buying a bleed kit, and the special deep socket open wrench for the bleed nut, and a bottle of brake fluid. Money wasted I guess.
Old 25th August 2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
I hope its still the same price. I made the mistake of buying a bleed kit, and the special deep socket open wrench for the bleed nut, and a bottle of brake fluid. Money wasted I guess.
The open wrench is for brake pipe flange nuts, a normal ring spanner will fit over the bleed nipple. Anyway money is never wasted buying tools mate.

I've never had any issues while bleeding the brakes.... yet. Fluid is available in different colours too, so you can syringe out the reservoir, fill up with red fluid and starting at the back bleed till you get red fluid out.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 25th August 2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
The open wrench is for brake pipe flange nuts, a normal ring spanner will fit over the bleed nipple. Anyway money is never wasted buying tools mate.

I've never had any issues while bleeding the brakes.... yet. Fluid is available in different colours too, so you can syringe out the reservoir, fill up with red fluid and starting at the back bleed till you get red fluid out.
Thanks Dezzy, I had a tee-shirt once which stated "He who dies with the most tools, wins". Now gone to the big rag bag in the sky unfortunately.

I was aware of the different colours fluids to help determine when the system was flushed. Mine is currently green and I noticed the other day that The Lairds was red.

Last edited by David's8; 25th August 2015 at 10:28 AM.