A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 25th August 2015, 09:43 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Mine is currently green and I noticed the other day that The Lairds was red.
Oo-er missus!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 25th August 2015, 10:51 AM

Not sure if there is actual green fluid, normal clear/yellow fluid turns green as it absorbs moisture from air.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 25th August 2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Not sure if there is actual green fluid, normal clear/yellow fluid turns green as it absorbs moisture from air.
In that case it really does need flushing and bleeding then! Mine is the colour of seawater.
Old 16th September 2015, 07:38 PM

Default Update

Well, having removed the calipers which were badly corroded with the pistons VERY difficult to move even with the right tool. AFter managing to move the nearside piston someway it was properly stuck. The handbrake mechanism was inoperable which accounted for the lack of effective handbrake. So I sent them off to Bigg Red calipers in Worcetshire who did a really good job of refurbishing them. The turnaround time was in the order of 7-9 days which I could put up with. They returned really well packed and looking great. In the meantime I had removed the backplates which were pretty tatty and cleaned and painted them before remounting the calipers. All put back in place and bled with the help of The Laird. However the original problem of shuddering at high speed and an "overwarm" smell returned when i took it for a test drive and I then realised that despite the real issues with the rear calipers it was the front nearside which was also binding on. So, back onto the jacks only to find that I could not remove the pads despite all sorts of large implements of destruction. So, I took it to my local indy who managed eventualy to remove the pads. The calipers/pistons were fine. The offside was not s bad but the pads were still VERY tight in the caliper and looking to head the same way. So, another few quid lighter - 2 hrs labour, new pads and a pressure bleed as the system was still spongy - I have a car with sharp and effective brakes.
(If this keeps up I am going to have to go back to work!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0068.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	11852   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0070.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	11853   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0072.JPG
Views:	197