A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 23rd November 2015, 03:49 PM

Default Modern Classic Magazine - V8 Fight Club

Issue 2 of the above mag (which features "Driving, buying and enjoying hero cars of the 80's 90's and 00's") has an article comparing the BMW M5, S8 PF ('96-02), Jag XJR 97-02, Maserati Quattroporte, MB E55 AMG. Its worth a read.
Old 23rd November 2015, 04:22 PM

The quick summary is..

"There's a super saloon here to suit almost everybody and providing you can stomach the sizeable running costs there isnt a wrong choice: they are all winnners capable of baiting supercars when the mood takes you."

"The S8 looks a strong prospect for the future thanks to its combination of solid construction and prices that are trying to burrow their way under the bargain basement. We'd be surprised if the value of good ones fell any furter and, indeeed, would expect them to move upwards sooner rather than later as they become rarer.But although it delivers performance and security it cant match the BMW, Maserati or MB on response. "
Overall they pick the Mercedes by the "narrowest of margins".
They feature an S8 owner - Julien Day. Is he one of us?
Old 23rd November 2015, 08:49 PM

Not for long:

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...r-121k/5007664
Old 23rd November 2015, 09:42 PM

That's jolly lovely that is
Old 23rd November 2015, 09:51 PM

I missed the first issue, definitely have to get this one.

No old quattroportes on Autotrader. On autoscout24 the V8 quattroporte seems to be well ahead of the others in becoming a modern classic, the cheapest one is 14k euros!
Old 24th November 2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
The quick summary is..
Is he one of us?
Hi, yes, it's my car.
I think the old girl held her head up high against the opposition, considering most of were much younger and cost many times more second hand.
Old 24th November 2015, 11:39 AM

You are right in that it compared well and the car looked good. I have to admit to always loving the looks of the Quattroporte even though I have heard someone on here say that they were high maintenance items. The MB AMG does seem the mutts wotsits tho'.

So why get rid of the '8?
Old 24th November 2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Issue 2 of the above mag (which features "Driving, buying and enjoying hero cars of the 80's 90's and 00's") has an article comparing the BMW M5, S8 PF ('96-02), Jag XJR 97-02, Maserati Quattroporte, MB E55 AMG. Its worth a read.
Can't see how the M5 is in the line up really. Surely a 7 series would be the car that fits in there.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 24th November 2015, 04:36 PM

Good point Dezzy. How come they didnt contact you to feature your fine specimen (your car, I mean).
Old 24th November 2015, 07:14 PM

The AMG was for sale for £8k. Had 141K on it but looked almost new.
Was almost tempted but reminded myself why the S8 is up for sale - running 3 cars is excessive and the S8 doesn't get a look in very often, so that is why she is up for sale.
The M5 was in a rare colour and up for 16K because of the colour.
All nice cars in there own way and did feel the reviews of each car were fair, even if my "Ronin" romanticism was overplayed a bit for artistic license.
Still, was a fun day and I enjoyed meeting the journo's in a timewarp, surreal location.