A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 13th May 2017, 09:15 PM

I driven mine 70 miles pump was fine
Only hoses, costed me 400£ to fix thats labour and parts. Hoses are something like 60 quid each
Old 14th May 2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audidothat View Post
Whilst waiting for my daughter outside of a newsagent, she returned to tell me 'my car is leaking onto the floor'.

Quick inspection showed green hydraulic fluid coming from behind the fog light.
I chanced my arm and drove the 30 secs home, by which point I need the strength of Thor to turn the wheel, luckily I do!

Anyway having stripped the wheel arch liner, the air box and fog light grill off, there is fluid everywhere.

The reservoir was empty so I topped it up and asked a friend to see if he could see a leak when I started the car up.

He quickly told me to stop as it was spraying out under high pressure.
So it cannot be the usual return pipe issue, correct? It needs to be pump side, any ideas before I stick it into a garage?

Just hoping it isn't pump failure but not sure why it would spray everywhere if it wasn't!
Sorry forgot to add, there was a terrible burning smell, almost electrical, could that be the pump working over time?!

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 14th May 2017, 08:45 AM

Thats probably the fluid spraying on something hot - it makes a smell like burning plastic.
Old 14th May 2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Thats probably the fluid spraying on something hot - it makes a smell like burning plastic.
Thank you...yes it smelt like burning plastic..... in fact thank you all for the replies and the info from previous write ups. Armed with this I have been outside since sun up, investigating further.

It is impossible to accurately establish the specific source of the pressurised leak so I am thinking I should replace the S shaped return pipe and start there.
The part of it that I can see is quite 'weathered' so it is not inconceivable to believe it could be worse further along.

One further question. Is it possible to replace said pipe with the engine under-tray in place?

I will keep you all posted.

'09 D3 S8 - Most of the bells and whistles (B&O, Audi Exclusive brown interior and exterior paint, soft close, ACC etc) de-flapped manifold!
Old 14th May 2017, 10:24 AM

That pipe looked tired on mine too, so they're changing it while the engine is out.

Best of luck with the repair, it doesn't sound catastrophic to me.

2008 Audi S8
Old 14th May 2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Tony View Post
That pipe looked tired on mine too, so they're changing it while the engine is out.

Best of luck with the repair, it doesn't sound catastrophic to me.
You're going to end up with a brand new car Tony! You realise you're are going to have to keep it for life!

Old 15th May 2017, 03:54 PM

Hello all

Anyone have access to the schematic/exploded diagram for the hydraulic system?

I have just been into West LDN Audi parts and we seem to be disagreeing on part numbers! I used those in the screen shot earlier in the thread and WLA are saying I need different parts.......

Old 15th May 2017, 04:15 PM

https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+a8.../4/422-422080/

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 15th May 2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
Many thanks

I think I see the confusion. Delboy's helpful photographic guide is for replacing item 18 (S shaped pipe) but others have experienced issue with and also replaced item 10 correct?
The item number on Delboys list is for item 10 though......

Delboy, did you replace 10 & 18?

Old 18th May 2017, 08:25 PM

An update....

I'd stripped the car down as described in Delboys guide already and today found a small tear in the hose underneath the shrouding, which I had to pull back to access.

I took a different approach. I assured myself that I had found the culprit section and cut the hose 1 inch above the tear. I had bought a section of hydraulic hose already, cut it to length and joined it to the existing hose.

Re-assembled using jubilee clips, filled and bled the system, the grinding & noises slowly reduced and all seems fine. It was a right pain taking the airbox apart again just to check the level after a drive around town, really annoying isn't it!

I'll keep an eye on it and hope my repair works. Oh and I need to buy lots more screws to better reattach the wheel arch liner.

Thanks all for the assistance.