A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 9th July 2016, 11:30 AM

The other issues from the scan would point to that.

"18058 Powertrain data bus P1650-35-00 Missing message from instrument cluster

also Address 03 ABS:

01203 Electrical connection between ABS and Instrument cluster 31-00 open or short to ground."

There must be a loose / damaged connector between the cluster and the loom but does that "connect" with the immobiliser activation?
Old 9th July 2016, 11:38 AM

Just had a look at Rosstech wiki. it states that for immobiliser DTC P1570 (wot i got):

"Possible Causes

Key(s) not matched
Instrument Cluster not matched
Engine Control Unit (ECU) not matched
Engine Control Unit (ECU) Power Supply faulty

which accounts for the question i raised above above how cluster faults cause immobiliser to cut in.
It further states under special notes:
"Low battery voltage (including a faulty battery) may cause Immobilizer system malfunctions and testing should be done only with a known good battery installed." Now the car has been standing for a while unused so I will put it on charge. It states that: "on rare occasions it helps to try cold-booting the car. Remove both battery cables from the battery. Short the battery cables together (away from the battery) for about 15 seconds. Reconnect the battery."
Old 9th July 2016, 01:12 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
It further states under special notes:
"Low battery voltage (including a faulty battery) may cause Immobilizer system malfunctions and testing should be done only with a known good battery installed." Now the car has been standing for a while unused so I will put it on charge. It states that: "on rare occasions it helps to try cold-booting the car. Remove both battery cables from the battery. Short the battery cables together (away from the battery) for about 15 seconds. Reconnect the battery."
So basically, if in doubt, 'try turning it off and on again'

Certainly sounds logical though. If the battery voltage has dipped low, without completely dying (a condition we call 'brownout' in electronics), digital circuits can end up in an unknown state due to the fact that some circuits will cease to function while others remain online, effectively causing some parts of the system to crash/hang.

Hopefully those steps will fix it. If not, since it's been stood a while, I'd suspect bad connectivity due to dampness. Has it been out in the rain? How dry is your electronics box?
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre dιcor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 9th July 2016, 01:20 PM

Got the battery on charge now the has been outside and there has been some heavy rain..... and I have been thinking about the ECU box but just didnt really want to go there!! Its now raining hard and i dont want to open up the box but that may be my next job.
Old 9th July 2016, 01:44 PM

Bingo! Looked at the wiring diagram pdf (not the current flow diagram) and found that the cluster is fed from ST3 Fuse 4 - I missed the fact that it fed the cluster when looking for potential fuses . However, when I pulled the fuse it was OK so was disappointed until I replaced it and the display came to life! so i guess it was poor contact/damp.

Now to get myself dried off!
Old 9th July 2016, 02:20 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Nice one!

I suppose it's also possible that it was making contact but by pulling the fuse you rebooted the cluster computer.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre dιcor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 9th July 2016, 02:23 PM

That may indeed have been the case Mark. Thanks for your support . Its always good to get some good leads from others and be able to bounce ideas off someone else.
Old 10th July 2016, 02:24 PM

Good to hear David, pity about the rain, 30 in the shade here, just ordered my second beer

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 10th July 2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
Good to hear David, pity about the rain, 30 in the shade here, just ordered my second beer
Old 11th July 2016, 08:27 PM

Well, managed to complete the oil and filter change today up on ramps. Afterwards took it out for good "spirited" drive along the road from the Naval base through Glen Fruin. Its become a favourite with bikers and its a good blast. That took the rust off the brake discs!
I shall try to get out in it more.......