A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 9th August 2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Ricky's link is also for steel hubs if the picture is correct (larger pins on the front arms).

There are two types of lower front arms on most Audis - large pin on B5 and C5 / D2 with steel hubs, small pin on B6 and C5 / D2 with alloy hubs. There is a 3rd type which is unique to the 20" D2. Almost all the D2 Meyle kits I found on ebay were the large pin versions, but in fact its exactly the same price to buy all the arms separately as it is to buy a kit so simple enough to just change what's needed
Thanks again. I had a talk yesterday with the people at Murrays Direct (the EBay seller of the set you recommended) and they were very helpful. They understood the differences between steel/alloy hubs/20" wheels which gives hope that I would end up with the right stuff.
Old 9th August 2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Ricky's link is also for steel hubs if the picture is correct (larger pins on the front arms).

There are two types of lower front arms on most Audis - large pin on B5 and C5 / D2 with steel hubs, small pin on B6 and C5 / D2 with alloy hubs. There is a 3rd type which is unique to the 20" D2. Almost all the D2 Meyle kits I found on ebay were the large pin versions, but in fact its exactly the same price to buy all the arms separately as it is to buy a kit so simple enough to just change what's needed
I haven't had a chance to run these in to the garage to change yet - looks like I might have the wrong arms then

I was aware that the arms are different on factory equipped 8's with 20" wheels, but had no idea about steel/alloy hubs difference.

Will they still fit my car or will I need to change these parts?
Old 9th August 2016, 06:37 PM

If you have alloy hubs then you need the outer tapered pins on the lower arms to be the same size front and back. If the fronts are larger then you will need the arms from my link instead. You should be able to sell your unused ones easily enough though (if priced well) since they fit loads of other models
Old 9th August 2016, 08:49 PM

Thumbs up

Crisis averted!

Just got home and checked mine and they are the tapered design. The picture from the listing may be a generic library picture.

Sorry for the thread hijack David
Old 9th August 2016, 08:58 PM

No hijack really - its all about the same subject and we (I) have all learned something

Well, maybe Mikki knew it already.
Old 10th August 2016, 11:43 AM

If its just the bushes that are gubbed, Meyle also do HD bushes. I have a spare HD lower rear arm bush unused if its any good to you. I replaced mine with poly bushes as I dont see the point in changing the whole arm for just a bush YMMV

Last edited by I am a daisy; 10th August 2016 at 11:46 AM. Reason: cos ahm a dummy
Old 10th August 2016, 03:24 PM

I have to say I have not been impressed with Meyle HD. I have used 3 sets of track rod ends on A6 and they always lasted only about a year before grease inside dried up, they started creaking and wore out soon after that. Also had a pair of Meyle HD straight lower arms on S8 and the bush where the shock attaches does not look too good after couple of years and about 3k miles, previous cheap no brand arms lasted about 10k and looks like these will do about the same. Maybe I just had bad luck or had counterfeit parts as there are many other happy users and that's the reason I have kept buying them. But after 3 sets of track rod ends on A6 I have given up on Meyle. Just bought a pair of OEM Audi track rod ends at a great price on e-bay for less than £34 delivered as they are about £60 each from dealer. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1218412303...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I hope they will last on A6 as S8 still has factory track rod ends at 140k miles.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 10th August 2016, 07:16 PM

But dont Meyle and Lemforder make the OEM parts?
Old 10th August 2016, 08:10 PM

Lemforder does make some of OEM parts for Audi, don't think Meyle does any.

But it does not matter if they are made by the same company or in the same factory, they will have different specifications. I used to work in food factory which made range of own brand products and supermarket brands for all major supermarkets both premium range and value items but that does not mean they were all the same. They used different recipes, although often very similar and different ingredients and were sold at wide range of price points.

It also goes the other way - sometimes the same brand is made in different factories by different manufactures but using the same recipe and specifications.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure

Last edited by ainarssems; 10th August 2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10th August 2016, 08:18 PM

OEM are TRW and Lemforder.

Meyle claim to have re-engineered the various weak points of the OE designs, particularly the large void bush on the lower rear arm, hence why they offer the 4 year warranty. Interestingly they don't do HD rod ends. Not sure why not. The price is not that far off the Lemforder parts, and less than half OE. Given the warranty it made sense to try them.

I was impressed by the quality of the parts before I put them on - certainly far better than the Chinese tat which ebay is full of. But, I've only just fitted them so time will tell I guess. The S8 won't be doing many miles but I'm about to put a set on my A4 which does a thousand miles a week so that will give them a workout!