A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 13th February 2009, 10:00 PM

Default Locking Nut

So I loose my locking nut key, I counted that it was the 16 star one so ordered both possible ones from http://www.zakparts.com who have been excellent by the way. But neither of the KAMAX or ABC 16 stud ones fit my locking nut, I tried Audi, who tried nearly every locking nut thingi on the '8 using the Audi master set they even let me have the one they 'thought' fitted free of charge But when I tried it at home, it did not fit in any of the locking key thingis, it is indeed 16 stud the same as is in the the car but it just turns when I try to loosen it on every wheel, so it is not secure if I said that right. I was hoping people could let me know what it says on the back of there locking keys. I just want to know if A8, particularly prefacelifts had KAMAX or ABC locking nuts, is anyone has the 16 star nuts could you let me know what number it says after ABC, the one I have been supplied with says ABC 5. I really am stumped and wanted to get my new conti sports and brake pads on this weekend, plus the annual ABS sensor clean is needed!
Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks to everyone in advance.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds

Last edited by Singh; 13th February 2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 14th February 2009, 07:50 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Singh,

If you cant find the proper key, Halfrauds sell a wheel thieves kit that has a left hand thread on the inside of a socket. You put the socket over the locking nut and it cuts into the outside of the nut and undoes it.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 14th February 2009, 11:27 AM

Thanks for your reply Mike, is this what your mean? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...6823&langId=-1

I will give it a go, otherwise will get back to Audi.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
Old 14th February 2009, 12:50 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Yes that's the one. Take your 8 to halfrauds and buy the kit to make sure that it has the right sized socket. I used one on a Renault recently only to find that of the 5 sockets in the set I had none fit!

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.

Last edited by Conan_the_Librarian; 14th February 2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 14th February 2009, 02:25 PM

Audi supplied me with the right one in the end, again free of charge. Thanks for your help Mike
Old 25th February 2009, 03:17 PM
harpersimon

handy to know where to get some though - I need to get a spare / replacement for my car as the orignal one is looking a little chewed these days and tends to get stuck in the bolt! (not handy when the recesses in the sport wheels are so deep!)
Old 25th February 2009, 04:48 PM

If its ABC 5 you need I'll post you out my spare...
Old 12th March 2009, 12:52 PM
harpersimon

Thanks dude but mine appears to be KAMAX type, flat raised edges. Am in the process of trying to order from that website you quoted at the mo..
Old 12th March 2009, 01:09 PM
harpersimon

All ordered - seemed straight forward on mine (although not saying much till it arrives) - Kamax type don't have any lettering on them, just a ref number stamped in the bottom so I have ordered the appropriate one - and we'll see
Old 23rd October 2009, 09:16 PM

I had a big 'ol problem on my last A8. Could not get the lockers off for love nor money!

Plainly looking at a giant problem should a flat occur.

After giant f*cking about got 3 off, but no 4 would not be moved. (that effort used up two of the Audi locking undo tools- boy are they soft!)

Even went to a pro wheel guy who had the pukka, hardened version of the girls tool you get at Halfords. Defeated.

After all the tricks I could think of (incuding welding and grinding big chunks of stainless), I gave up and had the ******* drilled out at my local garage.

Took them hours!

Motto? Stick some coppa slip or similar on and don't let tyre fitters dog them up!