A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Other marques

Other marques All non Audi other cars

Old 14th July 2022, 04:36 PM

Will do.
The dealer had given me the impression they would notify DVLA directly, potentially putting me in a catch-22 situation, but that was incorrect.

Though the invoice I have doesn't even specify the engine number or that it's a like-for-like replacement, so I've asked the garage for all that on headed paper.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 14th July 2022, 07:52 PM

Tax it today, worst case, you lose a month?
Old 14th July 2022, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrstaylor View Post
Tax it today, worst case, you lose a month?
Already done.
As soon as I discovered the dealer DIDN'T notify DVLA of the new engine (I had to, and as MJ said will do that later) AND they had given it a new MOT I taxed it. Only £15 a month anyway.

Edit: Oddly the MOT shows up online almost immediately, the tax doesn't and DVLA say it may take 5 working days!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 15th July 2022 at 03:15 PM.
Old 19th July 2022, 10:51 AM

Finally got it back today. Also needed both batteries replacing which was done FOC.
Old 19th July 2022, 06:52 PM

Batteries sound like a small win, aside from that is everything okay?
Old 19th July 2022, 10:02 PM

So far so good, but there's so much tech in the car that potentially could be disturbed and need recalibrating that I just don't know yet.
Old 23rd July 2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
So far so good
Well maybe not....
I was looking closely at the engine, trying to find a label to confirm type and serial number. Mainly to update DVLA records but also to satisfy me it was the right engine!
Found the label which was all good, though difficult to get at and photograph.

Funny thing is, I've been driving gently (old school running in habits die hard) but SWMBO came back the other day complaining that it felt a bit sluggish....
Then I found this on the air intake, just after the MAF, could well be the reason:

Easy enough to sort out, but what else has been done sloppily?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LooseClamp.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	28782  

Last edited by HPsauce; 23rd July 2022 at 07:13 PM.
Old 22nd September 2022, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
but what else has been done sloppily?
Well today I found the front wheels had swapped over, so the directional (Michelin CrossClimate) tyres were rotating the wrong way.
Given the ludicrous hourly rate paid to the Volvo dealership (name and shame time, Endeavour Volvo Cars - Slough) what has it cost me/Volvo for this silly basic error?

I called the dealer ASAP and they are sending a mobile tyre man to swap them back.
I'm not sure what a couple of months use will have done to them though. The back ones were fine as they hadn't been touched.

Last edited by HPsauce; 22nd September 2022 at 01:42 PM.
Old 22nd September 2022, 02:29 PM

Hi Andrew

It shouldn't have done any damage - it just means the tyres wouldn't have been able to deal with heavy rain as effectively as when they're fitted the correct way round. The tread pattern is designed to cut through water, but when they're incorrectly fitted the water gets 'stuck' at the bottom of the V and you're more likely to experience aquaplaning.

I agree that it's a pretty basic error for a dealer's mechanic to be making.....

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 22nd September 2022, 03:26 PM

Thanks Adrian, I thought as much.
However for a seriously safety-focussed company which Volvo professes to be that's a significant error.
And if something untoward had happened my insurers would no doubt have used it as an excuse to restrict their liabilty......