A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 8th January 2011, 09:19 AM

Default lower door mouldings?

Hi folks

How are the black plastic lower door mouldings held on to the car?

I noticed this morning that the one on the front passenger side is hanging only by the outer edges and can be pulled away in the middle.

I rang the local stealer and they claim you need the whole moulding at £63.44 but then noticed there are some female clips for a more reasonable £1.12 but his diagram didn't detail either how many were needed, or whether these clips fit to the body and the male part is on the moulding or not....

I'm crap with trim - I usually either break it getting it off, or apply force in the wrong place/direction (usually a combination of the 2!) so an idiots guide to how they're held on/got off/put back would be great.

Interestingly they appear to list different part numbers for black or ones to be painted body coloured. Presumably some came body coloured?

Cheers

Adrian
Old 8th January 2011, 09:26 AM

There's a black strip goes along the bottom of the inside of the door. You can slide that off and you'll see the screws for the outer moulding.

May just be that the screw has worked loose. Or it's been pulled as I think they clip on too from memory.

I know.. I know..

Old 8th January 2011, 11:33 AM

Ah OK, so looking at the bottom of the door with it open, I should be able to slide something towards the door opening and see screws?

That makes a bit more sense - anyone got or know of somewhere with pics online to show trim removal?
Old 8th January 2011, 01:39 PM

No pics, but it's really simple .. There's a black plastic bar at the bottom of the inside of the door, and you slide it off.

I know.. I know..

Old 12th January 2011, 07:39 PM

OK - finally got a chance to have a go at this this evening

Managed to get the black trim slid off on the inside and uncovered 2 large headed screws - 1 at each end.

Undid those and the plastic part of the trim came off on the outside very easily.

I can now see why the trim was hanging off - by the looks of it the clips where the screws come through are covered in shoe glue to hold the trim in place!

The rubber weather strip is still attached to the car, but I'm not sure if that's part of the metal bit its attached to and whether that should simply pull off with a bit of brute force, or if there's a more subtle way to remove it?

I can see what appears to be some pale blue plastic at regular intervals that may once have been plastic trim clips, but they are all rather uniform looking so maybe not?

I'm wondering if the plastic bits covered in glue are expanding retainers, which are the things I can get from the dealer for a couple of quid? Just not sure how the trim should be retained along its length......

Adrian
Old 12th January 2011, 08:46 PM

The trim is on with the clips, then retained properly with the screws.. Pretty sure mine had at least 3 screws in it.

I know.. I know..

Old 12th January 2011, 10:21 PM

I can't see any other holes from the inside.....
Old 13th January 2011, 03:14 PM

Just an update - went to look at the clips the local dealer ordered in for me - they're the blue ones I can see part of hiding behind the remains of the trim still attached to the car

Have now had to order a complete new trim (about 70 quid) which does, thankfully, at least come with the half dozen trim clips.

It looks like the remains of the outer trim have been stuck back on rather poorly in the past, so what I've removed is only the very outer layer of the trim - I still have to remove the rest, which I am told slides across like the inner trim cover to get it off the clips.

I'm not going to remove the rest till Saturday as (a) I'll have the new one to compare to by then (b) the weather strip is still sealing the door bottom so it's better off where it is, even though it looks a mess.....
Old 13th January 2011, 03:57 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

useful thread. added to Sticky; Thank you Adrian.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 6th June 2011, 10:43 PM

hmm, subtley different take on this. My bottom door trim appears to be one piece. Removal required the extraction of two bungs either end of the inside of the door. removal of two little screws revealed and slide the whole exterior trim away from the hinge end and then off. Clips secure to trim then clips (with trim attached) slide over corresponding little posts on door panel.

"Being in touch with your feminine side" - The ability to, in the 30 seconds following a major accident, obtain your wifes approval for replacing your big german car with another "because otherwise we'd be dead".

See also sulking for two years until she finally allows you to get another purely on the basis of your current one being the wrong colour.