A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - General

For Sale and Wanted - General Posting for buying / selling your own personal non vehicle related items

Old 30th April 2014, 06:44 PM

Default Testing the water

Looking to sell my D3 A8 as a project as it ain't well and got to ****ed off with it

As you know, was off work for 7 weeks due to a ruptured tendon and couldn't drive. Left the car for about 4 weeks and then wouldn't start.
Charged the battery and OK.
Didn't try it for around 4 days and guess what, battery dead again.
So bought a new battery. Connected up and car started OK.

Again, didn't use it for a good few days and flat again

Well, since then a few things have now failed.
Keyless entry and start
Climate control (no blower)
Light for the air ride comes on after 10 minutes or so
When cold, squelching noise from the front (suspect top control arms)

Other than that a nice car.

Today, after not using for 2 days, wouldn't start - battery showing 11.5V which should be enough but ODBII showing 10.4...........
Removed battery to put the other fully charged battery in and noticed water underneath
Bailed it out but wondering if this could be the cause of some issues (anyone know what the 2 modules are under the battery?).

So what's it worth as it is (most of you know the spec - I think)

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 30th April 2014, 06:46 PM

"When cold, squelching noise from the front (suspect top control arms)"

That's the one! I have a rattle also from the front so replacing all the top suspensions arms anyway.

I was trying to work out and diagnose that "Squelch" for ages!!

Last edited by Sir WIll; 30th April 2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 30th April 2014, 08:31 PM

Not sure what the modules are, but if there's water there, then that would likely cause stuff to short out, draining the battery.

I know.. I know..

Old 30th April 2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Not sure what the modules are, but if there's water there, then that would likely cause stuff to short out, draining the battery.
Cheers - that was my thought too.....

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 1st May 2014, 11:14 AM

Any idea what I should be asking for her (I know I am going to lose a lot of money but feed up with the old girl )

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 1st May 2014, 11:25 AM

I know youve fallen out of love with her Andy but I'm sure you can get to the bottom of these issues and get them fixed -

Blocked drains somewhere causing the electrical issues, sort then dry everything out and replace any relays that have gone etc.

A lot of the other electrical gremlins will be being caused by the battery management module issue, which may need the module replacing plus software updating.

If those 2 issues were resolved im sure it could be turned around and despite what I said it IS a nice car!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 1st May 2014, 12:16 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
I know you've fallen out of love with her Andy but I'm sure you can get to the bottom of these issues and get them fixed -
I was going to make some comment along the lines of not dumping someone you love just because they wouldn't get going a few times when you wanted ..... but I thought better of it!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 1st May 2014, 02:06 PM

Appreciate you're down with the car Andy... I was like that when my PF D3 had all the issues, but if you can find the source of the water, that'll probably fix all the other issues, though maybe one or two modules may need replaced and you should be back to trouble free motoring.

I know.. I know..

Old 1st May 2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
I know youve fallen out of love with her Andy but I'm sure you can get to the bottom of these issues and get them fixed -

Blocked drains somewhere causing the electrical issues, sort then dry everything out and replace any relays that have gone etc.

A lot of the other electrical gremlins will be being caused by the battery management module issue, which may need the module replacing plus software updating.

If those 2 issues were resolved im sure it could be turned around and despite what I said it IS a nice car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Appreciate you're down with the car Andy... I was like that when my PF D3 had all the issues, but if you can find the source of the water, that'll probably fix all the other issues, though maybe one or two modules may need replaced and you should be back to trouble free motoring.
Probably right, but these issues have been going on for several months now (went to replace the climate control module and the current one is coded to the car and Audio refused to take the component protection off so scuppered that quick and cheapish fix).

I think I know how the water may have got in - a few pics:

Picture of the rear window with the boot open and the plastic insert - notice on this shot that the edges do not meet:

In the next 2 shots, on the off-side, they are curled up and don't go under the rear window:

These are the 2 modules that were splashing about in water (not checked the other side of the boot as yet):

Cheers

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 1st May 2014, 02:43 PM

one of my rear window trim looks exactly the same Andy, but those plastic trims are just decorative and nothing to do with keeping water out, they are simply there to improve appearance. If you have etka you'll see that under those trims is the bodywork just like on the D2. Mine also have the gap in the centre, but my boot is completely dry. I'd be checking where the boot lights are mounted to the boot to make sure they are sealed properly, and the same with the wing mounted lights. If your spare wheel well is dry, and it was just the drivers side that was wet under the battery my bet would be on the outer tail light not sealing properly.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles