A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - General

For Sale and Wanted - General Posting for buying / selling your own personal non vehicle related items

Old 1st May 2014, 03:42 PM

Cheers - will check the seals (no access to ETKA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
one of my rear window trim looks exactly the same Andy, but those plastic trims are just decorative and nothing to do with keeping water out, they are simply there to improve appearance. If you have etka you'll see that under those trims is the bodywork just like on the D2. Mine also have the gap in the centre, but my boot is completely dry. I'd be checking where the boot lights are mounted to the boot to make sure they are sealed properly, and the same with the wing mounted lights. If your spare wheel well is dry, and it was just the drivers side that was wet under the battery my bet would be on the outer tail light not sealing properly.

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 1st May 2014, 05:41 PM

The black module is the EPB controller, can't see the part number on the other one.

I know.. I know..

Old 1st May 2014, 07:11 PM

IIRC mine only has one ECU there, the EPB one. Perhaps the other boxes are related to the TPM module (assuming the car has TPM).
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 1st May 2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
IIRC mine only has one ECU there, the EPB one. Perhaps the other boxes are related to the TPM module (assuming the car has TPM).
It does have TPM.

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 2nd May 2014, 06:36 AM

Hi Andy
I'm at office so can't see the pictures, but I will say what others said already.
DON'T do it yet, especially if you would be out of pocket by a lot of money. This is more likely related to that water leak, all your problems. In this cars one thing can affect other modules even if they are not really related, its just all complicated electronics.

Isn't there a battery management module as well??

Just strip that side out completely, get everything out and look for a leak, even run a hose and you may see water coming (with all the bits out already so you dont cause more damage)

Even if some modules are water damaged they will still be repairable without any cost to you. I've repaired over the years many electronics, all sort of ones damaged by water, and if you do it right chances are pretty big. Unless its burned out completely, but if only one or two components then its not a big issue.

Don't do it yet, you just haven't found the source yet but at least you've got indication where to look.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 3rd May 2014, 07:48 PM

Doing my head in

Washed the car and before hand removed the battery so I could check for any leakages. Found condensation in the compartment - hope this picture shows it (on the cable):

Nothing came in via the back lights etc
(Boot floor totally dry)

Picture of the area that was wet - as pointed out below the battery is an area with 2 modules (Windscreen Heater and Electronic Parking Brake) but to the right (rear in the pic) are holes and the bulk of the water is in this area:

Anyway - after doing this - put the battery back and before hooking it I checked the voltage and it showed 12.5V
Got in the car and nothing - tried a few times and nowt!
CHecked the voltage and 8.5V

Put my other battery in and all good - just want rid now

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 3rd May 2014, 10:08 PM

OK.
Now we need to find where the water comes from
Shame you didn't what I suggested earlier, leave the boot open, stick the hose on the roof so the water runs down the rear screen but no excessively so it dont go straight into boot of course, or something like that, and watch for any running water there where you found it today.

Is it possible guys that water gets somehow behind the rear screen and runs down straight into the boot but somewhere on the side panel side???

How about the boot seal, I assume you looked at this properly and if that would be the seal then you will find water inside the actual boot as well.

Condensation on the positive wire would indicate that water is getting through the top???

Now, you have two unit there, I assume there is no faults in the VCDS on those two units??
If they would be slightly water damaged they could drain the battery.

Above the batter where the (-) is there is I believe battery management module, if condensation gets as high as the positive wire then it would get there as well. If there is any water damage to it that could drain the battery. Well, any water damaged module could be responsible for battery drain.

Did you try to lift the rear seat and see if there is any sign of water or dampness???

How about the seal around the fuel cap, which is just about there, but from the inside??? This would kind make sense as its VERY close to where you found water today. This actually could be it.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 4th May 2014, 08:26 AM

I think it could be from the fuel filler - my car is LPG and that is where the extra filler is (pop riveted in) so I assume that water could be getting in through there??
I did run water over the rear window (gave the rear end of the car a very thorough dosing) and nothing.

The condensation on the wire - I think is caused by the water just getting warm and evaporating not so much the leak (if you no what I mean)

If I was to sell as is - what should I expect then?

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 4th May 2014, 10:08 AM
Banned

Water should not come in through the fuel filler as that runs under the wheel arch..

I think its more likely your rear sun roof drains the pipe runs through the headlining all the way back to the rear arch but if the connection in the pipe brakes ie.. from using an air line ect to clear the drains then the water may just come through onto the rear headlining but also can run through to the boot in my case I caught it just in time really.
Old 4th May 2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesbike View Post
Water should not come in through the fuel filler as that runs under the wheel arch..

I think its more likely your rear sun roof drains the pipe runs through the headlining all the way back to the rear arch but if the connection in the pipe brakes ie.. from using an air line ect to clear the drains then the water may just come through onto the rear headlining but also can run through to the boot in my case I caught it just in time really.
Cheers Guy.
Will have a look tomorrow and see if I can tell if it is that.
Where should the rear drains end ?

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten