A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 20th February 2015, 05:19 PM

Cheers all.
Yes - I had the same issue with my old D2 also, but got a second hand rack from A8Parts and got an Indy to fit it - came to around £350 all in if not mistaken (and still going well after 3 years, under a new owner ....)

Ian - could be but hard to tell to be honest. Will get a better idea once the garage has had a look on Monday.

Had to get a hire car for Monday as my daughter has an interview for a London university and for us to go by train would be over £300 and the times for the coach are ridiculous - the car including fuel will probably work out a bit more than the coach but still, a no brainer.

Once I get all the major issues sorted (god knows how many attempts at getting the blower working and it still doesn't ) it will be up for sale and will be selling it cheap so keep an eye out for it soon.

Can't see me getting another A8 to be honest - had 2, really enjoyed the D2 but only enjoyed the D3 for the first few months then every week, something would happen to take the shine off.... just being honest.

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 20th February 2015, 08:27 PM

sorry to hear your woes Andy, keep your chin up

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 20th February 2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
Ouch

Interesting though, not heard of a D3 steering rack going before.

It does seem to be a common VAG failure, the one on my D2 went, was the hardest longest repair job I've ever done undertaken, but had to DIY when the Audi dealers wanted north of £1,800 for it.
The only truly hard part i found when i did my S8 rack was reaching one of the bolts near to the pinion area of the rack. Utter pain all by touch and honestly would not be any easier 2nd time around with experience getting to that one bolt.
Old 20th February 2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasiliangringo View Post
The only truly hard part i found when i did my S8 rack was reaching one of the bolts near to the pinion area of the rack. Utter pain all by touch and honestly would not be any easier 2nd time around with experience getting to that one bolt.
Yup, there is one somewhere down there in the bowels, accessed from above, had to fashion a DIY socket extension to get to it.

Bet you got scraped knuckles
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 20th February 2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
the gearboxes don't routinely fall apart..
I think this is propagated to some extent by the forums. Im not sure how many have actually failed ? My 175k 2002 S8 FE was on its original box and still sweet as a nut. Drawing a parallel to the 911 world and the woes that everyone goes on about re the 996 having IMS and RMS failure leading to engine replacement (turbo is a different engine) but in all the drama and fuss, research shows sub 5% of cars actually suffered... I wonder if its the same for all the A4 / A6 / A8 / S6 / RS6 / S8s fitted with the ZFHP5 box and beemers and ranger rovers to etc etc..
Old 20th February 2015, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I think this is propagated to some extent by the forums. Im not sure how many have actually failed ?
I had 2 fail, one at around 75k before my ownership, the replacement went at around 115k

Old 20th February 2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
Yup, there is one somewhere down there in the bowels, accessed from above, had to fashion a DIY socket extension to get to it.

Bet you got scraped knuckles
I went from below and got an a few long wobble bars onto it with a torx bit or allen bit (its a 16mm hex bolt with a torx or allen insert from memory) and used an impact ratchet, narrowly avoided rounding it and totally stuffing myself
Old 20th February 2015, 10:10 PM

We followed this guide:

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...eer/srack.html

Which is why we went in from the top:

The easiest place I've found to this horrid bolt was to go in from the top of the engine compartment. Remove the intake air duct between the air cleaner and the throttle valve. I call this new opening into the dark unknown: Satan's ***hole. It is full of sharp teeth and is hungry for your arm! Actually, it has one tooth, but it's vicious, I tell you -- it's one of the electrical connectors. I guess one COULD file the plastic corner down a bit. But that's no fun.

Insert hand past wrist to mid-forearm into the hole, curl wrist around so hand bends toward rear of car, and grope for the support bolt around the passenger side rear of the hole. Insert homo-erotic joke here.

Once the bolt location is established, insert a rachet wrench with proper hex bit with hand into hole. It will be hard to hold the wrench against gravity's pull and to twist the wrench at the same time, so an assistant is recommended.

Assistant can watch through passenger wheel well and direct hand. Also, assistant can reach in and secure the rachet head onto the bolt as you (try to) turn the rachet handle from the engine compartment hole. Feel the pain. Embrace the pain. Know Satan's ***hole.

Pay attention to the steering angle sensor too:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...g-Angle-Sensor

Last edited by sarg; 20th February 2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old 20th February 2015, 10:11 PM

Actually i have no idea how you did it from the top, impressed, as fairly sure i ruled that one out when i considered it. I think elsawin talked some bollox as they often do and made it sound easy going in from the side rack aperture.
Old 20th February 2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Actually i have no idea how you did it from the top, impressed, as fairly sure i ruled that one out when i considered it. I think elsawin talked some bollox as they often do and made it sound easy going in from the side rack aperture.
As I recall, putting it back together again, my father was operating the socket extension bar from the top, I had a wire coathanger or similar hooked round it from the wheelarch well trying to guide it into position.

Definitely a 2 man job, not possible on your own for some parts of it