A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Lights

D2 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 15th March 2020, 04:19 PM

Default Headlight bulbs help anyone seen these before??

One of my sidelights has failed in my headlight, garage asked me did i fit these bulbs? whilst in for its MOT they reckon these have been retro fitted as the opening has been drilled out.

nope not me!

now I have sad orange standard bulbs back in as replacements did a quick look on ebay but can't track these down really

Does anyone know where i can find these again?

Mercedes Benz CLS 500 - Sold
Corsa VXR Nurburgring - Sold
RS6 Avant Grey - Sold
Seat Leon Cupra R - Sold
Old 15th March 2020, 04:45 PM

They look a little like the ones I fitted when I refurbished my bi-xenons (details in the thread below, including pic of bulb)

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9336&page=2

Amazingly the ebay link still seems to work:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H6W-BAx9s...f-e0fa81e3342e

Not identical to yours, but possibly close enough to buy a pair?

I think I included some measurements of the bulb in that thread, as the housing definitely needed opening up a little to allow them to be changed from the back of the light

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 15th March 2020, 05:43 PM

many thanks Adrian for your help

I will order those as a replacement

The garage mentioned when they tried to remove them they had to remove the whole head light lense and were worried about breaking the headlight does that sound like something that has to be done when fitting these bulbs maybe an access issue?

I have never really looked at the headlight in great detail
RS6 Avant Grey - Sold
Seat Leon Cupra R - Sold
Old 15th March 2020, 06:20 PM

I got a different design that work well and didn't need any cutting/drilling. Documented somewhere but I can't easily find it.
However, if you've already got larger apertures it's much easier.

No particular problems fitting them though...……….. Maybe your garage doesn't know how to access the bulbholders?
(IIRC they just pull out, but maybe with a larger aperture that's changed?)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 15th March 2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 15th March 2020, 06:35 PM

This is my 2013! post when I replaced the sidelights - still working!
http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost....5&postcount=61 It will show you what my bulbs look like, though no longer on eBay of course.
And this is what they (still) look like lit. http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost....9&postcount=13
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 15th March 2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 15th March 2020, 09:12 PM

As per the thread I made, the modification to the inner lens is needed to allow them to be drawn out from the back. It is just a light Dremel so the garage may be happy to do, based on the info in the link?

I didn't fancy having to take the lens off to change a bulb, but then being LEDs they shouldn't need doing very often!

Andrew's would be the less hassle option, if you don't mind the design

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 15th March 2020, 09:28 PM

These look the right size: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/H6W-SLIM-...s/263174382789
(Might even buy a couple myself...)
Old 16th March 2020, 12:23 AM

It's a shame reputable brands don't do H6W. For the PF D2among other cars I found no name LED does not last long, kept changing 1-2 times per year. I have since used Osram and Philips and have not needed to change them.
Example https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OYT13..._IDSBEb0TCY2WJ

Don't know why they would do W5W and not H6W. Maybe there is an adaptor you could use.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 24th March 2020, 08:52 PM

Just an update i ordered those side light bulbs and they have turned up but they are tiny in comparison to what was fitted before

still no clues as to what type of side bulb was fitted before? they were much much bigger
RS6 Avant Grey - Sold
Seat Leon Cupra R - Sold
Old 24th March 2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS6 View Post
Just an update i ordered those side light bulbs and they have turned up but they are tiny in comparison to what was fitted before
"those" - which ones above? I ordered the ones I mentioned and they've arrived. Look like they'll fit but haven't tried them yet... (As an over-70 I'm too busy trying to register on an online shopping site - any will do but none are available!)