A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 20th March 2017, 08:08 PM

I hooked up my multimeter and measured only 50-60ma draw , left it for an hour and saw no change (i set up a go pro to film the meter).
Ill try some variations on what i leave on and how i shut down to see if that changes the resting draw..
Cheers for your help

2004 A8 3.0 TDI Sport Brilliant Black
Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Things to fix: Turbo fault, power drain
Old 20th March 2017, 09:28 PM

50/ 60 MA sounds fine for a car with loads of systems , does it play up anymore when it's raining ( water in outer handle buttons ? )

If you lock car up and diss connect battery lead does alarm back up sounder go off

The cars battery definately good ? any non standard equipment fitted .

I like the idea of the GoPro , good thinking
Old 20th March 2017, 09:41 PM

Dont think the rain causes problems- ive already replaced a couple of handles which had phantom touching a few years ago and also replaced the battry as it was shot at the time. Two years on the battery let me down on a day trip to france, so I do have another new battery fitted now.

Alarm does go off with the battery disconnected, and i did change the alarm module last year too as it had failed.

I have no after market stuff (though do have OEM retrofits)- so will see if a longer monitoring shows any modules waking up

Came with: Black Valcona/Alcantara Leather, KESSY, rear blind, flappy paddle gear change, Phone Prep, TV
Added:Bluetooth, AMI, Hybrid TV, Parking plus, Ski hatch, towbar, DAB, Umbrella Holder, Reversing camera, Auto lights, Wheel refurb
Old 22nd March 2017, 06:53 AM

So, I set up my homebrew "scope" (a gopro on time lapse and a watch) overnight to record current draw, and nothing shows up. I'll try again tonight and water the handles....

Annoyingly, my steering column lock has started playing up by not locking, but that doesn't seem to be affecting the current draw anyway.

Video attached for anyone interested in very dull time lapse! (BTW 300ma of the current draw is the gopro itself)
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 overnight current.mp4 (9.51 MB, 194 views)

Old 22nd March 2017, 08:56 PM

Usual story .......never play up when your waiting for it