A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 26th August 2013, 11:23 PM

Default Retrofitting radio controlled clock

A8s were equipped with radio controlled clock. Clock is synched with long wave time/date transmitter in Frankfurt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DCF77).

Benefits are obvious -- clock is always right and no more worries with adjusting clock by one hour for daylight saving. In radio controlled clock mode we have radio antenna mast symbol displayed:

UK cars didn't come with this feature because, I think, transmitter always sends CET time (either UTC+1 or UTC+2 depending on daylight saving time) and UK is, as always, a little bit different:

But we have functionality to adjust time by one hour once the clock is in radio controlled mode. This feature was specifically designed for those who drove out of CET time area.

When I saw Goran's new LHD manual car from Germany I decided to try to retrofit this feature. Here's how receiver looks like. It comes with wires and 3-pin electrical connector that connects directly to unused socket on the back of instrument cluster, made specifically for that receiver.

Additionally, we'll need to order bracket and 3 screws that cost pennies:

On FL D2s standard receiver location is under the dash:

I will keep this thread updated when I finish installation.
Old 27th August 2013, 09:34 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Loving your work.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 27th August 2013, 11:26 PM

Nice work I did wonder about this feature

2002 S8 silver with black half leather
2000 d2 S8 in Racing green pearl, RS4 manual gearbox,
2003 A4 avant TDi
1997 Volvo V40 2.0T
1992 Mazda eunos v spec
1976 Reliant Kitten
1965 Porsche 911
Old 6th September 2013, 11:10 AM

Update: This is very easy plug and play installation.

All you need to do is to plug receiver into instrument cluster from behind.
Then wait a couple of days and you'll see antenna mast symbol. This means that your clock is now in radio controlled mode.
In this mode you can't adjust minutes, but you can adjust hours. By this you're effectively telling instrument cluster the delta
between your local time and the CET time in Frankfurt.

And you don't need to remove dashboard for that. You can only remove lower trim where your knees are
and there's just enough space to connect electrical connector from the back of instrument cluster via removed knee trim opening.

I found that reception in the standard receiver location under centre of the dash is not very good perhaps because I have a-thermal heated windscreen.
Decided to secure the receiver elsewhere in the car, perhaps behind the lower right panel where most of electrical fuses are.
Undecided about exact location yet.

Pictures!

To be continued ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1994.jpg
Views:	4491
Size:	475.3 KB
ID:	6587   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1991.jpg
Views:	4143
Size:	327.3 KB
ID:	6588  
Old 6th September 2013, 11:23 AM

I highlighted the place where you need to look for connector if you access via removed knee panel.

View from behind the cluster (this is picture of PF cluster, but it doesn't matter):

Also, behind the cluster there is standard recess for the radio clock receiver! It can be nicely secured there with 2 bolts from my first post. But Audi decided not to mount it there. Perhaps I should try that recess!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A8 d2 clock.jpg
Views:	4543
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	6589   Click image for larger version

Name:	a8 d2 cluster.jpg
Views:	4043
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	6590   Click image for larger version

Name:	cluster.jpg
Views:	3874
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	6591  
Old 6th September 2013, 11:32 AM

you will need to tell cluster that radio controlled clock is now connected. This is done with VAGCOM / VCDS.

Select adaptation channel 19. The lower bit should be changed from 0 to 1.

After installation wait at least 24 hours. Antenna mast symbol will appear during night hours and clock will be adjusted during night hours too.
Old 6th September 2013, 12:16 PM

That's very cool

Are these common enough bits to find on German ebay, if it was more or less standard fit across the '8 range on the Continent?

ETA - do you have the part number for the receiver?

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 6th September 2013, 12:44 PM

For D2: (have no idea about D3 -- just use ETKA)

4D0 919 145 -- for D2 chassis number up to 4D-X-015 000
4D0 919 145 A -- for D2 chassis number after F 4D-Y-000 001 <-- I've got this one

There are receivers for other Audi models, but I think the only difference is the length of cable supplied and shape of plastic box. I believe they all work the same way. For instance, we have 8N0 919 145 receiver from Audi TT and it looks like this:

Bracket and bolts for D2 if you need them:

1 x 4D1 919 159 bracket
1 x N 013 96 49 screw to fix bracket to chassis
2 x N 013 95 32 screws to fix receiver to bracket or to recess behind the instrument cluster

>> Are these common enough bits to find on German ebay, if it was more or less standard fit across the '8 range on the Continent?

I think all A8s supplied to countries in CET time zone (see the map in my first post) had this receiver installed as standard.

P.S. If you want to search German ebay just type "Audi Funkuhrmodul" or "Audi Funkuhr".
You need the version with wire coming out of it which ends with 4 pin electric connector.
Old 6th September 2013, 12:57 PM

Brilliant - thanks for the details

I find it a pain adjusting the clock on mine, even more so since it has to be done via the instrument cluster to update the RNS-E over CAN

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 6th September 2013, 01:40 PM

How successful is the receiver at picking up a signal if the car is garaged? Presume it works OK since I think yours is garaged overnight too?

The radio bit is £59 new from TPS - bracket and screws come to less than a fiver