A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 6th February 2014, 06:04 PM

Default Analogue to Digital TV in 2002 S8

Is it possible to change the old and now redundant analogue TV receiver for a digital one? It's the Navigation Plus system fitted in a 2002 S8.

I'm a bit sketchy on model-specific details (RNS means nothing to me yet) as I've only just bought the car. No doubt everyone on here is well up on what the options available are.

Thanks.
Old 6th February 2014, 06:22 PM

It's almost certainly connected to an RNS-D.
The TV tuner (there are at least 2 versions) will have an Aux input that you can use for a DVD player, DVB-T tuner, reversing camera, whatever.

The problem (which I'm currently wrestling with, as have others) is mostly getting decent reception, plus all the usual stuff of where to put the aerial(s), tuner, wiring etc. and how to control it.

Or there's the RNS-E option........
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 6th February 2014, 06:52 PM

I do like to keep things as original as possible so already I'm thinking it's not worth the expense and effort. I can't imagine there's going to be a time where I *must* watch something on TV while in the car. Being able to watch DVD's however - for the passengers, does sound tempting.

Regarding this Aux Input of which you speak… where would a DVD player have to be mounted; or conversely, can you run video from an iPod into it?
Old 6th February 2014, 06:55 PM

You can mount it wherever you like, but the actual Aux input is to the tuner in the N/S boot bay so you need to get cables to there.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 6th February 2014, 07:13 PM

Right, scratch that. Far to much hard work.

We'll have scintillating conversation to amuse ourselves instead.
Old 6th February 2014, 08:14 PM

Depending on where you want to connect the device in, running cables from the rear to the passenger cabin isn't that hard. You could run some phono connections to beside the rear bench in 30 minutes.

I know.. I know..

Old 6th February 2014, 08:16 PM

its not that difficult, just get a unit that has a remote eye and feed it through in to the cabin, my ir eye sits between the headrests so barely noticable, thing i paid 75 for a unit with dvd / usb / sd card
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 6th February 2014, 08:21 PM

I've bought a direct video in adapter for my RNS-D (there's no OEM TV tuner) so have more flexibility on locations.
I did play with the same DVB-T unit in my PF S8 feeding into the TV tuner; running cables wasn't really the problem, there are plenty of routes.

The aerial is my biggest problem TBH. Just finding a good "discreet" location that gives adequate reception. At the moment it's "parked" in the ski hatch awaiting some better weather so I can get on with the job.

But I now have loads of space in the boot side panels (both sides). Off side I now have a full panel and nearside I've dropped the CD player down below floor level so that whole space is empty (apart from bits and bobs I've stored there).
Nearside is probably favourite for the tuner and aerial amplifier as I've already arranged switched power slaved off the CD player feed from the RNS-D.

Last edited by HPsauce; 6th February 2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 7th February 2014, 09:45 AM

I keep meaning to get round to this.

What tuner/aerial do those guys who have digi TV use?

Last edited by Dave McB; 7th February 2014 at 09:46 AM. Reason: bad spelling!!
Old 17th February 2014, 01:46 PM

I'm useless with electrics and DIY in general so I'm loathe to touch anything myself. if anybody knows anywhere that can install a digital TV tuner in place of the analogue one I'd happily drive a distance and pay for the service.

Avoiding a butchered car interior makes the time and expense worth while.