A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Other marques

Other marques All non Audi other cars

Old 4th May 2010, 07:28 PM

Default My trike project

After running my VW beetle engine trike for 3 years the need more for more power has come.

After looking round at what to do I decided to convert it to fuel injection then after getting that all setup and running a turbo will be added a later. This was going to be a fuel injection conversion on a budget. £350-400 total

ECU
After playing with various ECU in the past. Emerald, DTA and so on. I wanted one to convert my trike to fuel injection. due to the cost of these other ECU this only left one option - Megasquirt build it yourself ecu

First thing to do was to order one from the states (worked out cheaper than buying it in the uk!)

Order a Megasquirt 2 Version3 with a Jimstim kit
The JimStim tests everything working correctly with the ECU.

So after spending last week building I've ended up with a Nice ECU for £260.

Time Lapse of Megasquirt ECU build (Youtube)

Injection
For the injection side of the conversion I brought a set of Honda CBR600 throttle bodies, Split them into 2x pairs of chokes no to build the manifolds:

Honda CBR600 throttle bodies, Straight mounting tubes, Tapered mounting tubes 45>32mm, Original mounting bases (cut off the old inlet manifold)

Started by mounting the taper tubes,
(Throttle bodies slotted on the taper tube to give correct position, Piece of wire over the engine to hold them in the correct angle)

Now to tack the upper mounting tubes in place

Now to weld them up, (My TIG welding is not the best and I have not welded Alu for about a year and it shows!!! but they will work at least)

Ignition system:
The Ford EDIS system will be used this take a crankshaft signal (36-1 trigger wheel still got to fit that)
This then uses a ford wasted spark coil pack (which is now mounted behind the fan housing to clean the back of the engine up)

Engine:
This is what the engine should look like (the fuel pump and distributor have been removed from the engine as the coil pack takes care of the spark and a electric pump will be fitted by the tank )
Old 4th May 2010, 11:17 PM

Wow! Fantastic post. Thanks
Nick
Old 4th May 2010, 11:33 PM

Great work mate - looks like a really great project you've got going there.

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group