A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 13th July 2018, 11:33 AM

Unhappy Spontaneous side window breakage...?

My near side front window outer skin (of double glazing) spontaneously cracked yesterday. No noise, no sudden jolt. It's spidered out from the front 'bung' (for want of a better word) at the front corner near the mirror. See photo. I'm sure someone else on here has experience this before? Looks like I'm going to our sponsors for a new window. And some door card clips...

Zip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1466.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	593.1 KB
ID:	19703  

2002 D2 S8: Ebony Black over Platinum. A8L Comfort front seats in black (), heated rear seats, extended Leather Pack 3, blinds, glass sunroof, MFSW, Dension Gateway 100 for iPod, ski-hatch, xenon plus, auto dimming mirrors, 20" FE wheels, billet aluminium 'brake block', gunmetal Brembo calipers

2005 B6 S4 Cabriolet: Ebony Black Pearl over Silver. RNS-E, Bose, heated seats, cruise control, retrofit aux-in, centre armrest, Milltek resonated exhaust
Old 13th July 2018, 01:15 PM

Must be the heat, my front windscreen cracked for no reason as well last week

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 13th July 2018, 01:33 PM

Most likely the heat. The glass is being heated all day long then you jump in and blast the aircon on your face and windows which cools the glass quicker than it ever would naturally. The glass is fighting against two extremes and something has to give eventually under those circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Must be the heat, my front windscreen cracked for no reason as well last week
Same goes for you. There may have already been a small chip which you didn't notice and the heat and cooling has caused the crack.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8

Last edited by Conquistador; 13th July 2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 13th July 2018, 02:26 PM

Wow I've never seen that before
I would guess perhaps the heat may have caused differential expansion and its just gone pop at the holding pin there, but very odd indeed!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 13th July 2018, 11:48 PM

I'm on my 2nd windscreen in as many months (one on each car!)

About £1k down as a result as don't trust the insurance approved lot

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 14th July 2018, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
Most likely the heat. The glass is being heated all day long then you jump in and blast the aircon on your face and windows which cools the glass quicker than it ever would naturally. The glass is fighting against two extremes and something has to give eventually under those circumstances.

Same goes for you. There may have already been a small chip which you didn't notice and the heat and cooling has caused the crack.
So it's one of these things I have thought about often in the past few months, suppose you live in the Canaries / North Africa. These cars are tested to survive the environment there, as well as waaaay up north, such as Glasgow or Reykjavík. There are regional specific parts to every car, but the basics of the car should survive between the extremes.

So in theory, I agree the extreme heat might be causing problems, but it doesn't sit right....

Only windscreen I ever had spontaneously crack was in a cabriolet while in a back road blast with a motorbike, went round one corner and hit an odd bump in the road, which caused the car to bounce strangely, like during a left turn the car essentially bounced 2ft to the right (at last that's how it felt). Didn't notice the fracture in the bottom corner of the windscreen until I got back out.

Old 14th July 2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
I'm on my 2nd windscreen in as many months (one on each car!)

About £1k down as a result as don't trust the insurance approved lot
You know you can get it replaced by dealer on insurance. They don't like to do it but you can argue your case and eventually you can reach compromise. I had it replaced at Audi dealer about 3 years ago on 15 year old A6 on insurance. They did not want to do it and said they only do genuine replacements for cars less than 3 years old but at the end they gave in and we reached compromise that they will pay for dealer to replace with genuine windscreen but I had to pay £100 excess instead of regular £75.

No such luck on S8 as only have 3rd party F&T insurance that does not cover windscreen so will need pay for it out of my own pocket.
I did replace windscreen about 8 years ago myself and was very lucky to get new genuine screen on e-bay for £40 + £10 for adhesive. Now the only one on e-bay is £699, dealer price £436. Aftermarket replacement cheapest I have found for now is £268 fitted. 8 years ago cheapest quote for aftermarket was £140 delivered only or £170 fitted.

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 14th July 2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 14th July 2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4-Andy View Post
So it's one of these things I have thought about often in the past few months, suppose you live in the Canaries / North Africa. These cars are tested to survive the environment there, as well as waaaay up north, such as Glasgow or Reykjavík. There are regional specific parts to every car, but the basics of the car should survive between the extremes.

So in theory, I agree the extreme heat might be causing problems, but it doesn't sit right....

Only windscreen I ever had spontaneously crack was in a cabriolet while in a back road blast with a motorbike, went round one corner and hit an odd bump in the road, which caused the car to bounce strangely, like during a left turn the car essentially bounced 2ft to the right (at last that's how it felt). Didn't notice the fracture in the bottom corner of the windscreen until I got back out.
I am sure they are tested and only small amount fail due to extreme weather. Also if you have large variations regularly car might get 'used to it' and less likely to fail.

8 history:
Old 14th July 2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
You know you can get it replaced by dealer on insurance. They don't like to do it but you can argue your case and eventually you can reach compromise.
There's 2 issues as far as I'm concerned - the dire quality of typical non-OEM glass (Guardian et al) and the person fitting it. Main dealers don't fit windscreens - they just sub it out to Autoglass etc, most of whom can't retain staff long term.

I asked around and got a couple of recommendations and decided I'd rather cough up and know it's been done right, than go through the aggro I had with our C5 A6 years ago. My insurer charges £95 excess for windscreen and if you insist on going your own way they either count it as a fault claim to knock your no claims, or pay a nominal £50 contribution to the cost.

Golf screen took 2.5 hours to fit. S5 nearer 3.5 as it didn't want to come out. For the £100 labour cost I don't think those rates are too bad.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 14th July 2018, 04:03 PM

You are right about dealers not replacing windscreens but at least you get OEM glass and hopefully they use a good fitter. Mine was fitted by Corby Windscreens who has decent reputation at dealer premises.

It does not matter what your insurer says or wants, it's your car and your choice who you choose to do the the repair. If the insurer covers that kind of repair they need to pay pay for it regardless of who does he repair as long as costs are reasonable. What is reasonable is open to interpretation but generally it should be OK as long as charges are genuine and not some made up scam. There have been several lawsuits with insurance companies about costs where insurance companies lost. One of the recent big ones was where 3rd party claims management company was used and they charged their share on top of repair costs. Insurers refused to pay management fees only paid for actual repair but court ruled that charges were reasonable and ordered them to pay up.

Even if you paid for windscreens yourself you can still claim it back from insurance. If they refuse to pay there is MIB to complain about your insurer or even small claims court. I have done couple of claims to MIB on behalf of my friends and they always ruled in favour of us instead of insurance company.

But you are right that you could loose your NCB depending on your insurance company and whether you have protected NCB or not, that's why agreed to pay a bit more excess than normal for windscreen replacement.

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 14th July 2018 at 04:06 PM.