A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 5th March 2018, 09:56 PM

Default Front lowering trick with OEM parts

How to lower the front of a FL S8 by half an inch using OEM parts:

Have a look at these two lower spring platforms. These slot on to the damper. On the left is a stock S8 (or A8 Sport) platform, on the right is a non-sport version.

These both have a rubber doodad on them which is what the spring sits on. Take the doodad off and observe the centre where it locates on the damper:

The non-sport one sits quite a bit lower on the damper body. To compensate, the nubs on which it sits are an inch higher up the non-sport damper resulting in an overall higher ride height. However, if we put this on a sport damper, it sits half an inch lower than the original sport platform.

Now look at the rubber doodads. The non-sport (right) is thicker, again leading to higher ride height compared to the sport (left). The two are not directly compatible, but that rarely slows me down

Cut the edge off and cut a notch where shown, to match the non-sport platform:

The non-sport platform sits lower on the damper so it's closer to the back of the strut hence having this flat bit (in orange). The rubber needs to be trimmed to suit

The finished article looks like this:

All in this translates to about 1/2" lower at the wheel.

Part number for the non-sport lower platform is 8D0412103B. I don't have any loose dampers kicking about but I'll update this post if I come across any. I've done this on my A4 and A6 but my S8 is on Bilsteins which use billet platforms so this trick doesn't work.

There's also a similar swap to get a little bit from a prefacelift using the facelift top spring platform. I'll grab some pics of those bits next time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180305_002.jpg
Views:	905
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	18089   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180305_003.jpg
Views:	895
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	18090   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180305_005.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	18091   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180305_011.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	18094   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180305_001.jpg
Views:	926
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	18095   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180305_006.jpg
Views:	900
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	18096   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180305_010.jpg
Views:	920
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	18097  
Old 5th March 2018, 10:20 PM

Love it - could you add that to my "list" please

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 5th March 2018, 10:53 PM

Default Bouncy Bouncy

As always MJ, excellent stuff! Caught my eye straight away, thats the kinda mods I like. Do you know if this mod may have been a factory mod? Reason I ask is, as I scrolled down to the first pic my plans to do this mod were immediately scuppered lol. The "vented" std cup on the right is what is fitted to my struts (factory sport model).... hmmmm ..... discuss..... lol

Also, I have a loose strut kicking about if you need any measurement, dont know what model its off but will check the part number

Last edited by I am a daisy; 5th March 2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 5th March 2018, 11:04 PM

Its an interesting point actually. There's a very clear differentiation between sport and non-sport setups in the A4 and A6, but the A8 blurs the lines somewhat. The sport platforms only turn up in the D2 in the 01 model year so they must have done earlier ones with either different dampers or springs, or probably both. You may get the same effect using the springs from an 01-02 sport on a 99-00 sport since the later springs must be slightly shorter to accommodate the higher platform. You can also get a little bit from swapping the rubber buffer thing, although that might be so small as to be invisible.

I'll find out more when I get my 2000 A8 sport in to the workshop and have a good poke around under that
Old 6th March 2018, 09:35 AM

Nice one! Added to upgrades sticky

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 7th March 2018, 08:37 PM

Great insight - thanks MJ

I remember doing similar in the past when I was into mk2 golfs. Can’t remember exactly what we used to swap as it was so long ago....either Passat or G60 top mounts and you gained 10mm to 15mm lowering up Front.

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White